WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Unconfirmed Section Hiker!!! Touch of Grey's Avatar

Exclamation Personal Safety and Dogtags/ID...

Just wondering how many out there have actually given thought to what others would find or look for should they find me or others unconscience (unable to respond) along the trail?

I have given it some thought and while some would say that they will have ID somewhere on there person or in their pack, I have given thought to carrying a set of dogtags made at a local military surplus store who makes them.

My thinking is this, I want it easily found and have the most amount of information conveyed in the least amount of space. Thus, I would have my full name, SS# (yes, I know some people are paranoid about this type of thing but when you are unconscience it is one of the few ways of getting more information reliably about you for Emergency Personnel.), Emergency Telephone number (this should be included something like this and people with cell phones would be wise to make this Autodial 1 on their phone. ICE - In Case of Emergency followed by the ten-digit number), Blood type if known and any allergies. In the case of Dogtags the space is limited to 5 lines of info so you need to spell it out clearly in a few words.

What are others thoughts on this idea? Most of you former and current military personnel should weigh in on this. Where is the best places besides around the neck to display or store DT's? Marines place the second generally in a boot.

TOG

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Never thought of that. Then again, I'm hiking with another. I guess it would be good to have some kind of ID info somewhere in your personal item ziploc if not a dog tag. (I plan to carry a medical insurance card and a licence anyway) Though I would probably forgo the SS number. Definitely if you have a major medical condition though, a dog tag is important. I should maybe think of getting one for my son who is allergic to bees (we will be carrying a epi pen that is, gulp, heavy but a life saver).

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

BZ....good idea, especially 4 us relics & solo hikers....

Images

Well im a solo hiker and so far I have'nt had no problems. That is a good Idea though I might do this for my thru hike. Thanks touch of grey

kicking around ideas for the next adventure 1Pint's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Touch of Grey View Post
    Just wondering how many out there have actually given thought to what others would find or look for should they find me or others unconscience (unable to respond) along the trail?
    What are others thoughts on this idea?
    TOG
    You might want to consider this product http://www.roadid.com/id.asp#shoe instead of dogtags. There's more space for info and the id is designed to work with shoe laces.
    "It's not just a daydream if you decide to make it your life." Train

Dogtags are a good idea, they can have the important information on them. The only drawback that I have found (I am in the military) is that they are kind of annoying when you wear them around your neck. They are comfortable in a bootlace, if you have a spot where it won't chafe or rub. I normally loop them through a belt loop and put them in my pocket.

The ID tag listed by 1pint looks like a good idea too.

Bottom line, some sort of ID is a good idea, Dogtags are ok, and they would make a good momento after the hike.

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    Definitely if you have a major medical condition though, a dog tag is important. I should maybe think of getting one for my son who is allergic to bees (we will be carrying a epi pen that is, gulp, heavy but a life saver).
    Yeah EpiPen! My mom wanted to get me a medallion or a bracelet. Not likely that I will be unconcious in the woods from my allergies... more likely in town where all the dangerous food is .

Too heavy. Get a tatoo.

Images

i am a diabetic,i need to get a tag neo

What would others find or look for? Hopefully just my bleached white skull next to some dynamite gear.

Or better yet, nothing. So that 50 years from now people will say

"Whatever happened to that hiking fool, Tipi Walter?"

"No one knows, I guess he's still out there in the mountains somewhere."

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    What would others find or look for? Hopefully just my bleached white skull next to some dynamite gear.
    Than if not - a rotting body next to some dynamite gear. I wouldn't be pleased if I found either one.

I am not a diabetic or have allergies, but last year i stumbled from a ledge....only received a few cuts & scrapes, but, 3x's on the way down my head was about 2 meet up w/a rock when my hands/arms made it there just in time......<~~Came very close to needing an emergency ID....
    z
    x.

Quote Originally Posted by mambo_tango View Post
    Than if not - a rotting body next to some dynamite gear. I wouldn't be pleased if I found either one.
    I think you would be quite pleased with my gear, but I'm just overly attached.

Anyway, the trails I backpack are so heavily underused and remote that the question is almost moot, bringing me back again to that lonely white skull sitting by the trail. The wild wilderness coyotes will certainly play tag with it. Dog Tag.

My wife and I had tags made - name, emergency contact info - and really cheaply too - we had them done at Petsmart - real "DOG" tags - cheap, effective, and easy.
    GDW

You're kind of limited space-wise as far as information with dogtags.

I have my "Emergency Contact" info in the front cover of my Handbook, which is always at the top of my pack, i.e. very easy to find. The same information is also on a card in my wallet.

People with medical conditions, allergies to certain medicines or treatments, etc., might want to consider a "Medic-Alert" bracelet which most people are familiar with and can easily recognize.

I would also advise any tags to be worn on the shoe/boot lace if you can, especially if you have medical issues, this will allow the responder to complete the first aid check without going into your pack. That's the way we did it in the service, it allows for instant ID in case anything goes awry. Also, the good thing about putting your tags on your boots is if the worst happens most likely your boots will survive. My $.01 worth. Safe hiking.

I carry a kit with frequently used items and emergency items on the outside of my pack or on my person. It includes a laminated card with: my name; medical conditions; medical insurance company and their telephone number, my policy number and identification number; my wife’s name and telephone number (she doesn’t hike), and; our credit card numbers.

I attached a red aluminum “dog tag” to the outside of my pack at the top. Space is limited. It includes my wife’s name and telephone number, and my medical conditions and blood type.
    “The earth does not belong to man, man belongs to earth. ...
    Man did not weave the web of life, he is merely a strand in it.
    Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself.”

I carry a dog tag, and a bag tag on zipper on pack

I have epilepsy. It is controlled by medication but still, I wanted an extra bit of security just in case. So I word processed a small card with my name, address phone number, blood type, medications and the note that I have epilepsy. Then I laminated it with clear plastic tape and added a string to wear around my neck.

The night I stayed at NOC on my thruhike, my cabinmake was discovered lying unconscious on the grounds and was medivaced by helicopter. It took hours to figure out it was him and even then they were not sure of his identity etc. That underscored how real the possibility is.

So I was just as glad to have that tag around my neck and wore it my entire throughhike.

It never hurts to be prepared.

I just ordered and received the dog tags from IMSPLUS. had name, addr, phon, blood type, stamped on the silver ones and had my medical information stamped on a red one which notifies someone that you have an allergy or some type of medical condition.

Saimyoji...I also have my dog tag information tattooed on my side. In the Marines we called it a "meat tag".
    Semper Fi and 73's,

G. L. Cooper
    K0OPG (Amateur Extra)
    Mountains of WV

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++