WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Registered User hammock engineer's Avatar

Default Non-Oatmeal/Poptarts Breakfest Ideas?

I need some help and suggestions for breakfest foods. The problem is I can't stand oatmeal or poptarts. Anyone have any ideas for other options? These would have to be things I could find during resupply stops.

Right now I usually eat a ceral bar or gorp. I was looking for something more to fuel my engine. Sometimes I cook a diner for breakfest. That works, but I am looking for variety in my meals.

Thanks.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hammock engineer View Post
    I need some help and suggestions for breakfest foods. The problem is I can't stand oatmeal or poptarts. Anyone have any ideas for other options? These would have to be things I could find during resupply stops.

Right now I usually eat a ceral bar or gorp. I was looking for something more to fuel my engine. Sometimes I cook a diner for breakfest. That works, but I am looking for variety in my meals.

Thanks.
    i like raison cinnamon bagels with peanut butter or nuttela on them neo

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Thanks.
    ========================================

Have you tried the Quaker bars ?? I can't stomach Poptarts any more either but I find the Quaker bars (3 - 4 flavors) a lot better. High calorie and great with a cup of coffee or Tang.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Good ideas.

I tried the bars. I like them and usually have some type of ceral bar with me. I just know I will get sick of them after a few weeks.

Registered User Pacific Tortuga's Avatar
    Images

I just was given a box of Lara Bars. OK tasty, they are healthy and look to be good in cold or heat. www.larabar.com out of Denver, CO.

Images

Polenta with cinnamon and a little powdered milk and syurp if you have it or Polenta with dried fruit (I like strawberries or blueberries) a little powdered coffee creamer, a little powdered milk, and a liberal dose of sugar.

I will have some of both at Winter Hammock Campout!

I really have grown fond of polenta, especially on the breakfast menu.
    "For those who understand, no explanation is needed; for those who do not, none will do." ---Jerry Lewis

I forgot to add that I am doing a few mail drops (pick up winter/summer gear and maps for section). This will be for food bought in towns. I am going to add dehydrated food for all meals in my mail drops.

I forgot to add that I am doing a few mail drops (pick up winter/summer gear and maps for section). This will be for food bought in towns. I am going to add dehydrated food for all meals in my mail drops.
    Do you know a good source of powdered eggs? With a small fry pan and some of them you could have a great meal of scrambled eggs for breakfast. You could add them to your mail drops and carry enough until the next drop as you won't find them in any town. But who wants to carry a fry pan?

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Do you know a good source of powdered eggs? With a small fry pan and some of them you could have a great meal of scrambled eggs for breakfast. You could add them to your mail drops and carry enough until the next drop as you won't find them in any town. But who wants to carry a fry pan?
    If I could find them, it would be a nice change. I could fry them up in my pot and add some cheeze.

Try grits. Get the instant kind and just add hot water. You can put in powdered butter (sorta hard to find), some type of sweetener, honey is good, Bacon bits, cheese, anything else for flavoring. Some places you find grits with different flavoring already in.
    Remember this - - Even the best of friends cannot attend each other's funerals.

Images

http://store.honeyvillegrain.com/ind...FSIdSQodpCXRSQ

These are supposed to be the best tasting egg out there, but I have never tried them. I bet they would be good with some bacon bits mixed in with the eggs.
    "For those who understand, no explanation is needed; for those who do not, none will do." ---Jerry Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    http://store.honeyvillegrain.com/ind...FSIdSQodpCXRSQ

These are supposed to be the best tasting egg out there, but I have never tried them. I bet they would be good with some bacon bits mixed in with the eggs.

Wowie Zowie! Thanks for the link!

Images

I bet they would be good with some bacon bits
    or summer sausage. They do not need to be refidgerated. They also make tasty snack food.

Default breakfast...

oatmeal, poptarts...

cream of wheat, coco wheats, grape nuts, grits (with cheese and jalpenos), bacon (precooked), fruit (fresh and dried), nuts, rice cereal (like cream of wheat, but it's rice...health food section), oatmeal cookies, larabars rock , rice and cinnamon (& dried apples)...

I'm sure you could come up with a lot more, get creative

One 2.25 pound can of Powdered Whole Eggs is equivalent to 170 Fresh Whole Eggs.

Wow that's a lot of eggs!

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I like the idea of also eating cold cereal for breakfast, with the Nido powered milk (I like the Cinnamon Life cereal myself). Esp if you don't want to cook and clean every AM. Like you my son hates oatmeal so we hope that well work (he plans to bring Cheerios). And we are making lots of different bars, etc with the help of a great cookbook that my hubby picked up from the ATC. Pop tarts are junk and oatmeal is processed with loads of sugar and little nutrition. I figure if you eat the right sutff you can go longer and enjoy the hike better.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Keep the good ideas coming.

Blissful, now that you mention it I remember back in my Boy Scout days eating cereal with hot cholcate. As long as the flavors mix well, it tasted pretty good.

There are lots of hot cereals besides oatmeal. Wheatena is pretty interesting. As with a lot of similar foods, the better (more nutritious) ones take longer to cook, but should be amenable to "cozy" cooking. Cream of rice isn't all that interesting but you can mix almost anything with it to spiff it up -- butter/margarine, peanut butter, gorp, dried fruit, etc. One (dry) ounce of cream of rice makes a serving.

grape nuts with powered milk and honey. tang and a vitamin pill. breakfast of champions.

I like a dense cereal, like frosted mini-wheats. They hold up well, taste good, and if you're in a hurry, or just don't want to make milk from the dry-milk packets, you can eat them dry.

A few times on my thru I elected to buy those cheap berry pies you find in grocery stores, but those typically suck for nutrition.

Cereal bars are cool, but typically low-cal.

I don't particularly care for it, but a lot of people used Carnation instant breakfast.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++