WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Images

AND JUST LIKE MAGIC, THE RAUSCH GAP SHELTER HAS DISAPPEARED!

Last weekend, a crew of "demolition experts" from BMECC, SATC, and ATC "brought the house down", so to speak. Once the roof and the rafters were off, all it took was one big push, and down she came...and we spent the rest of the day cutting up the old logs, cleaning up debris, and beginning to carry out the demolition tailings.

The real job is just beginning. We still have repairs to the old foundation that have to be made, there are some trees that will have to "get out of the way", and there's going to be a LOT of carry-in work. The pre-fabbed shelter-shell will have to be dismantled and carried in, and then re-assembled on-site (no helicopter-flight for this shelter; this one will have to walk in "the old-fashioned way"). Here's a link to BMECC's home page; scroll down to the "special projects" link and click on that for a look at the slide show of our pre-fab work: http://www.bmecc.org .
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass - it's about learning how to dance in the rain!

Thank you for your dedication to the AT and for all your hard work!

Images

A labor of love.

There are some folks who dislike shelters (for a variety of reasons), and I won't debate the pros and cons of shelters here. But shelters along the A.T. have a long tradition that goes back to the original trail-building days, and those of us who believe that shelters STILL have a place in the trail's infra-structure can occasionally find a project like this and "try to make a difference". (This is the third time that I've been privileged to be able to "make a difference".) Even though many long-distance hikers avoid shelters, many local folks use them regularly...and it is the "local folks" who actually make up the majority of the trail's users.

Do shelters cause certain problems? Sure! But they also afford an opportunity to sit and talk with other hikers (of varying outdoor-skill levels) and exchange knowledge and information...learn new skills...change old attitudes...make new friends.

Besides - projects like this keep me out of the bars!
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass - it's about learning how to dance in the rain!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by shelterbuilder View Post
    With regards to the tree and table, I actually have a plan to keep the table for a bit longer. If we can remove the top of the tree without weakening the existing roots, the table could be used for a few more years. (But here we go again...another difficult tree job...ropes, pulleys, come-alongs, ground crew....) I need more folks on my work crews with tree experience.
    AND THE PLAN ACTUALLY WORKED!!! On Saturday the 14th, emerald and I took down the upper section of the table-tree. By doing some very careful cutting, we were able to save the lower 7 feet of the tree, and later in the day, we re-attached the tale to its supports. It's completely usable again! Since the tree is actually dead, it is only a matter of time before the roots weaken enough for the table and the tree to topple over, but until then...COOK AWAY!

And there's more good news. We now have 2/3 of the foundation prep-work completed. After the next worktrip, the new foundational sill should be finished and ready for the new sill-plate. We've also taken down several more standing dead "hazard" trees, so the area is safer than it had been. Unfortunately, there's still a lot of the old log debris (from the shelter) that needs to be removed from the site (no, we can't just "chuck it over the side" - these "logs" were utility poles in another life, and were empregnated with creasote, so they have to be disposed of properly).

Anyone who wants to follow the club's progress on our website can check out the slide show at the "special projects" link on the homepage at www.bmecc.org . Or, better yet, check the schedule and come join us on one or more of the listed worktrips.

Images

Default Another update

For those following this project on the BMECC website www.bmecc.org , the slide show is about 2 weeks behind our actual progress.

On Friday, August 10th, we attempted to move the de-constructed shelter from the Arboretum in Bernville to a staging area near the shelter site. While transporting the 2nd load of logs, the truck and trailer were involved in a serious crash on Rt. 443 near the I-81 interchange at Pine Grove. The truck and trailer were both total losses, and our driver had to be flown to the Lehigh Valley Hospital in Allentown, where he underwent surgery for a broken hip! (It's a wonder that he survived at all, given the condition of the truck.) He is now getting therapy at a short-term rehab center near his home in Schuylkill County, Pa., and is expected to make a full recovery.

HOWEVER --- the logs survived the crash with only minor scrapes and scuffs! On Saturday, another truck and trailer were sent by ATC to retrieve the logs and they were delivered to the Game Lands parking lot near Gold Mine Road, where they were transported the remaining 3 1/2 miles to the staging area on top of the sled-dog condo on shelterbuilder's Ford Ranger! During the day on Saturday, BMECC club members and a local Boy Scout troop moved the logs and supplies the last 1/2 mile to the shelter site, and by evening on Sunday, the log-work had been completely re-assembled! We have had several small-crew work trips during the last 2 weeks, and the plywood and tarpaper are almost completely on the shelter, and we will have another 2-day work trip this weekend (August 25/26 Sat/Sun) to try to complete the roofing.

And now...the "small favor" that I have no right to ask - but I'll ask anyway. We have the remains of the old shelter sitting in a pile at the staging area along the rail-trail that runs through State Game Lands 211. We need to load this creosote-contaminated debris into pick-up trucks and move it across the Rausch Creek Bridge to a dumpster that's on the other side of the bridge. (For safety reasons, the dumpster will not be allowed to cross the bridge.) I am short on pick-up trucks, but I'm even shorter on people to do the loading and unloading. If there are a few good folks out there in WhiteBlaze-land who would like to help us complete this project by getting the debris into the dumpster this weekend, please PM me here for additional info. Ideally, we can put together a large enough crew that it can be split into "loaders" and "unloaders", so that no one will be working constantly.

(Or, if you'd prefer to help us do the roofing, come with your tools on Saturday. This will free up someone else to help with the debris removal. Either way, PM me during the week so that I'll know that you're coming. We'll be driving in on the rail-trail road, but I'll have to lock the gate behind me.)

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I'd definitely come out to help if I was within a few hours drivetime of Duncannon. Come on people, you can count this as a workout!
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    I'd definitely come out to help if I was within a few hours drivetime of Duncannon. Come on people, you can count this as a workout!
    Agreed!! Wish I lived closer..........

Shelterbuilder- you rock for all the hard work you do. I love shelters personally. I see them as a nice gathering place, when I'm hiking. They are a great place to get out of a storm or steady rain. Plus, it's a great place to put my "goodies" for the hikers coming thru. That's just to name a few...thanks again.

Images

Thanks, all. I just hope that a few folks who are closer to this area are able to come out. So far, I've gotten 2 responses...we'll see what happens.

Hey, Wood Chuck, are you lurking out there? Get an ALDHA crew together and come out for this one - it'll be like old times at the Eagle's Nest Shelter! I'll even let you put up a birdhouse!

I should be able to come help out for part of the day. Let me know at what time you will be starting

Images

The main group will be going through the gate at the Gold Mine Road parking lot around 9 AM. (Gold Mine Road is a connector between Rt. 443 and Tower City; the parking lot is at the bottom of the first mountain - look for the old brown Game Commission sign on the left.)

Since I was just informed that I "will be working overtime on Saturday morning", I will be arriving at the gate around 12:30 PM. My best guess for an "official" quitting time would be between 5 and 6 PM. However, we have at least one other person who needs to leave mid-afternoon, so between all of the comings and goings, I'm sure that we can get you in and out to suit your schedule.

Of course, if you don't mind a 3 1/2 mile bike ride (one way), you can come and go when you please. Some of our regulars do this "just for fun".

Lunch, water, work gloves and bug repellent. FYI - there is NO cell service in this area.

Shelterbuilder.

Default Shelter Photos

DSC09555.jpgDSC09561.jpgDSC09563.jpgDSC09564.jpg

The shelter really looks great, you guys did a good job, thanks to all that helped!

Is this shelter still "no tenting allowed"? How is the campsite that is .1 miles south?

Images

Since this area is within State Game Lands, the standard PGC regulations apply: primitive, one-night camping is permitted within 200 feet of the footpath, but must be more than 500 feet away from water sources, trailheads, road crossingsw, and parking lots, AND you must be starting and ending your hike at 2 different locations. The shelter site itself is made available by the Game Commission with special permission, since it is more than 200 feet from the A.T. Most of the tent sites in the area are NOT legal ones, and ARE patrolled.

(I don't make the rules, I just report on them.)

Images

GREAT PHOTOS!!!

The project is finsihed, the site is re-opened, and the official dedication took place on Sunday, October 7th. The rain held off for most of the day, although it was a bit chilly.

The log work is completely new, and was re-assembled on-site in only one day! Additionally, thespring pipe was replaced, the fire pit was cleaned out and completely re-built, the original stone patio (this is stonework that was original to the 1800's construction) was raised and leveled (to prevent future flooding during torrential storms), and new drainage was added to divert rainwater away from the area in front of the shelter. The foundation was also repaired and re-pointed.

The final tally: over 16 months from tree to shelter, over 100 volunteers participated, and over 2700 man-hours contributed to this project. BMECC and its agency partners and assisting groups (SATC, Alpha Phi Omega Natinal Service Fraternity, and 2 local Boy Scout troops) have the right to be very proud of the finished product. I was blessed with a remarkable crew for the last shelterbuilding project of my career.

Shelterbuilder... that is amazing!! The pics are really good. The shelter looks great!! Thank you so much for all the time and effort you put into this project. I'm really glad you had a supportive crew!! We will be up in that area next year! We usually tent but it will be great to have this shelter as a place to hang out. Thanks a million!!

Journal Entries

Stayed near here Memorial Day weekend. water is the Best. New Shelter is wonderful and the Privy was fine.I tent camped with Walker my Lab it was his first over night hike and he was a great

Images

It is a very nice shelter. I tarped in the meadow just passed the shelter when I passed thru- beautiful spot.

Outstanding work.

Images

Doing a section from Duncannon to Lehigh Gap later this month and I understand I can't camp at Rausch shelter? Guide shows a campsite on the trail 1/2 mile past the shelter. Can I get water from the Rausch creek crossing and camp at the campsite?
    Section hiker on the 20 year plan - 2,078 miles and counting!

Quote Originally Posted by hikernutcasey View Post
    Doing a section from Duncannon to Lehigh Gap later this month and I understand I can't camp at Rausch shelter? Guide shows a campsite on the trail 1/2 mile past the shelter. Can I get water from the Rausch creek crossing and camp at the campsite?
    At the actual shelter there is plenty of camping. Plenty. There is a piped spring with tasty water at the shelter as well. There is another large tent site just south of the shelter blue blaze but along the trail. It is right next to the creek. I prefer to tent at the shelter as it sits in a nice location, has fresh water, and a privy is there.

Where there may be misunderstanding is a good portion of the AT in eastern PA is on state game lands which have various camping restrictions. You can camp at established AT shelters year round.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++