WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Hammock and Bicycle camping Crash's Avatar

Thumbs up Rausch Gap Shelter

It's a nice shelter. The spring is directly in front about 15 feet away that pours in to a metal trough. Though the privy is getting quite full. It's in a beautiful spot with no 'outside world' noise. and your cell phones won't work there!
    When the Trail calls you,
    its not on your cellphone!

I went there weekend of 4/3. The privy is pretty much filled up- and they need a broom to sweep the inside of the shelter. but its still nice to go to.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Crash
    I went there weekend of 4/3. The privy is pretty much filled up- and they need a broom to sweep the inside of the shelter. but its still nice to go to.
    No need to worry about the privy being filled any longer. The privy was burned down recently by some destructive person. Don't know what plans are to rebuild or replace
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

IN the late 70's, the Rausch Gap shelter was known as "The Hilton" and was one of (if not the) nicest shelter on the AT. Since then it has been trashed many times as well as general wear and tear. There used to be a way for vehicles to get close and then it became a party spot and got trashed with beer bottles and graffiti. It is in a beautiful location and i hope someday it will be rebuilt to it's former beauty but of course that costs money. It's nice not to have to go far for your water although i have seen the spring not running the last few times i went there. (it's been 3 years now i guess)

Images

i stayed there late october 2003 when i did a section hike between boiling springs pa and delaware water gap.nice location,water source was excellent
    i was were passing thru there again i would prefer to hammock near raush creek
    a very pretty area. neo

Default Rausch Gap Memories

I camped at Rausch Gap Shelter twice in the last 2 years on section hikes. Good memories both times. May of 03, the shelter was crowded (not surprising) with a mix of locals, section hikers, and thruhikers. I tented behind the shelter. We all got along well - in fact the locals shared their beer, steak, and lobster tails (!) and were very considerate i.e. didn't trash the place at all. Some of the late-arriving thru-hikers couldn't believe the lobster until we showed them the shells.

In contrast, I also camped there in November 04 with no one there but my hikng partner. At that time of year, we certainly appreciated the close-at-hand water source and the shelter's position which kept the cold winds at bay (in contrast to the Peters Mountain shelter which was a wind tunnel).

Images

Walked by the shelter on Memorial Day weekend and a family had taken it over, so we camped near by. Nice area, though.
    If I had not been able to periodically renew myself in the mountains...I would be very nearly bughouse. - Wallace Stegner in Wilderness and the Geography of Hope

Is it raining yet?
    Images

Default Condition Report

As of 10/14/2005 the shelter was in decent shape, while the new privy was quite nice. The .25 mile hike in from the AT is as flat as the beach - its clearly an old RR grade for the nearby mine.

Other then that, I felt there was a little more trash around then normal.......
    Be Prepared

Images

let's not forget that the water trough can be used as a refridgerator to keep packed-in beverages nice and cool.
    Last edited by Frolicking Dinosaurs; 08-04-2007 at 14:27. Reason: Alcohol is not allowed at site being discussed

Default Something to think about in this neck of the woods....

While I like this section of PA, folks should be aware that it's one of the snakier sections of the whole Trail. I've NEVER failed to see fat rattlers just south of this shelter, and on a few occasions, they were very close indeed, so keep your eyes open when you're in these parts. Also, be particularly aware if you're travelling with a dog. And lastly, this is a pretty lousy place to have your headphone on with the music turned up......more and more hikers seem to be listening to music these days, and people need to be aware that there are places that this is a really lousy idea.

I've spent the night at Rausch Gap on three occasions, and once at Yellow Springs, just south of the shelter. I've never seen any snakes of any kind. Of course, I'm not the most observant hiker in the world. I do wish the snakes would do something about the mice in the shelter.

The new privy is super!

Images

I'll be at Rausch Shelter a week from today. Hope to be asleep by this time of night.

Default Nice Shelter

Socks the wonder dog and I hiked by this in late Feb., 06. One of the nicest shelters in PA. The spring right in front and the fireplace area are particularly nice touches.

This is a potential overnight spot for me in June and I was wondering how it is for setting up a hammock.

Default hammock setup

I Hhammocked just to the left of the shelter.
    But if you like the sounds of the creek then you'll find even more spots along the creek. Get there during daylight and you'll find a great many places there and past the shelter. In case there are partiers there you can go past the privy or stay by the creek.

I never saw snakes in Rausch Gap though.
    Are you taking the AT no. or so. into the Gap or taking the Goldmine Trail in? Goldmine trail is the old rail bed and is super flat.
    I love that area.

Quote Originally Posted by fredmugs
    This is a potential overnight spot for me in June and I was wondering how it is for setting up a hammock.
    Why do you ask?
    I thought, among the ifinite benefits of hammocking, they can be used anywhere with no problem.
    "If you don't know where you're going...any road will get you there."
    "He who's not busy living is busy dying"

Images

I helped a school science teacher who took a bunch of kids to stay the weekend at Rausch Gap while they performed a wildlife study in the area. We caught over 21 mice within 30 feet of the shelter, a raccoon, several snakes, and saw more we didn't catch. Previous to our weekend, it looked like someone had a party there and left quite a mess. I suspect the mice catch was higher than normal because of that...probably the snake count as well.
    Also, solitude you say?? I winter camped there after hiking the old railway grade from Goldmine Rd. I was rattled awake by no less than six snowmobiles as they raced up and down the old railgrade. What a night. Not much sleep that night.

I will be heading SOBO starting at 501 so that will by first night out. Obviously hammocking requires two fairly sturdy trees spaced far enough apart. I've met people on the trail who have had their trees fall over on them and really don't need that experience. I may very well bypass the shelter if I get an early enough start in hopes of making it to Duncannon for night #2. Cheeseburgers and Yuengling will be waiting!!!

Default Hammock

Quote Originally Posted by fredmugs
    All the trees are pretty far away from the shelter... but there are plenty around. Behind the shelter there is a camp spot with lots of trees (past the privy).
    Mistress Jenkins!!

I had mice scurry through my hair and chipmunks beg for food like dogs!
    Mistress Jenkins!!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++