WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Cell Phone

Default Cell Phone

What are your thoughts on cell phones? To take or not to take??

Quote Originally Posted by jwang View Post
    i don't own one. take one if you want. most hikers take them

Quote Originally Posted by jwang View Post
    Regardless of your responses, have a search through the older cell phone threads. There's some pretty good commentary in the archives here.

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf View Post
    i don't own one. take one if you want. most hikers take them
    and use it at shelters. they're like mini towns

Quote Originally Posted by saimyoji View Post
    Regardless of your responses, have a search through the older cell phone threads. There's some pretty good commentary in the archives here.

Sorry....I always take my wife's phone. That way she can kiss me goodnite from afar.

1000+ miles, baby! (and more to come) Webs's Avatar
    Images

Thumbs up

we had bad experiences hitching (as in, no one stops...), so we called ahead for a shuttle service, which was very nice in the freezing wind and rain when no one wants to stop at all (esp for hitchers) anyway.....

Images

Pay phones are disappearing rapidly. I ended up using my cell phone fairly often--and let other hikers use it. Necessary? No. Convenient, if you've got one anyone. Yes.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

I believe for forwarding your bump-box and other packages from the trail, a cell phone is invaluable.
    You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.

I take a cell phone, and unless you're really trying to "escape" all types of gadgets, I would recommend it. I've used it to be rescued in cold weather twice already. At the same time, don't take a phone if you don't know how to be corteous with it. Don't talk in the shelter or around other hikers, who may be trying to escape. Take a walk away from the shelter to make calls, and leave the phone turned off or on silent. Avoid incoming calls, for your own sake and others. Even vibrate mode can ruin a serene outdoor experience.
    http://joshuamlee.com Photography

--Signor Felice

Don't take it. Can't get a signal in a lot of places.. I would take a pocket mail though....

Images

If you have significant health issues, as some of us do, having a cell phone can be a necessity, although coverage can be variable.

The Weasel
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by MrHappy View Post
    I take a cell phone, and unless you're really trying to "escape" all types of gadgets, I would recommend it. I've used it to be rescued in cold weather twice already. At the same time, don't take a phone if you don't know how to be corteous with it. Don't talk in the shelter or around other hikers, who may be trying to escape. Take a walk away from the shelter to make calls, and leave the phone turned off or on silent. Avoid incoming calls, for your own sake and others. Even vibrate mode can ruin a serene outdoor experience.
    Huh huh huh! Hey, Beavis, you said "shelter" and "serene outdoor experience" in the same paragraph. Huh huh huh.

Yeah, yeah, I know. If you're Beavis, then who does that make me?

Anyway, the real reason for not using your cell phone in a shelter is because everyone who doesn't have one will ask if they can use yours for a quick call.
    Frosty

Images

I am taking mine. I checked the coverage maps with my provider and coverage is spotty in the south (GA-TN) but gets better as you go north.
    The heaviest thing I carried was my attitude.
    Montani semper liberi - Mountaineers are always free

Desire is the main ingredient for success

Registered User hammock engineer's Avatar

I'll be taking mine. It stays in my pack with the battery off in a waterproof bag when I am not using it. I was told somewhere that the phone still uses some battery life when turned off. I don't use it very often, but the times I do it was really nice.

I was pretty surprised in VT on the LT last fall where it would and would not work. It wouldn't work on the top of Mt Mansfield (there are radio towers up there). It worked on the middle of a road in a valley. It also worked other times I through there was no way, and times where I saw a city it wouldn't work.

take what you want but make your beeps and dings out of earshot. and lonewolf make good funny. shelters....ha ha. there good for one thing. lessening your wilderness exspirence. im a weenie. allways have been. but i camp a little at least.
    matthewski

Images

Now the real question, how do you charge it up. The power supplies I have are heavy.

Images

Charger goes in bounce box. If you only use the phone for one call a day and keep it turned off it will hold a charge for quite a while. In addition you can carry one of the battery adapters and charge it off a pair of AA's.

I will be taking mine in a few years as there is simply no way I can be out of communication for weeks at a time. I'd prefer not to, but in some ways the cell phone will actually make a thru-hike possible.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Images

I always take one. Cell phone coverage is intermittent at best. And don't take "no service" for an answer. I have pressed the "call" button 40-50 times until it finally went through on a rogue cell of some sort.

Images

Carry this it - comes with lithium batteries. $20. Best new thing I have seen in a while.

www.energitogo.com
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++