WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Stuff sac or Zip Loc

hey all,

as you can see this is my first post but as many i have been searching these borads and gaining valuble knowledge. one questions i have is wether to use the light weight silicone-nylon stuff sac for gear/clothes or use multi size zip loc bags. i will be lining my pack with a trash compactor bag for water proofness and am leaning toward useing stuff sacs. Let me know what ya think. thanks for the help. as far as my hike i'll be hiking the appoarch trail march 15th. staying at thehiker hostel the 14th. i'm keeping a journal on TJ take a look

Trocar '07

I ended up using oven bags and ziplocks,, carried an extra trash bag too..

Ziploc make s a 2.5 gallon bag that works well for clothes and food. I like being able to see through them. If you need to hang your food you can use your sleeping bag stuff sack.

Trash bags.

so you guys don't use compression sacks? I have issues getting clothes (namely my winter parka) in my pack on winter backpacking trips w/o the compression sacks. I've tried compressing clothes in little grocery bags but it still didn't pack as well. Im open to new ideas.

Thumbs up One Day

I go with suff sacs. Zip locks are okay for the short run, but they will wear out after a time. The are also heavier than silnylon sacs. I continue to use the silnylon sacs that I started with but have gone through zip locks.
    Good luck.
    One Day -beginning in Springer early March one day at a time!

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by cbs125 View Post
    hey all,

as you can see this is my first post but as many i have been searching these borads and gaining valuble knowledge. one questions i have is wether to use the light weight silicone-nylon stuff sac for gear/clothes or use multi size zip loc bags. i will be lining my pack with a trash compactor bag for water proofness and am leaning toward useing stuff sacs. Let me know what ya think. thanks for the help. as far as my hike i'll be hiking the appoarch trail march 15th. staying at thehiker hostel the 14th. i'm keeping a journal on TJ take a look

Trocar '07
    ============================

Given the fact that you are planning on using a plastic trash compactor bag as a pack liner, my personal opinion is that ziplocks would be nice but not totally necessary. I used the plastic bag liner in 2003 (a VERY wet year) and silnylon stuff sacks and never had anything get wet. That said ...sometimes most everything gets "damp".

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Images

I like silnylon stuff sacks. They weigh about the same as zip locks but last longer. You can kind of see through them but they are color coded.

I use a waterproof compression sack for the down bag. Weighs more than the others but to me it is worth it.
    The heaviest thing I carried was my attitude.
    Montani semper liberi - Mountaineers are always free

Desire is the main ingredient for success

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I'm using sil nylon stuff sacks for clothes, sleeping bag, and for food hanging. I plan to use ziplocs for personal items like my meds so I can see them, my first aid kit, etc. But I will put some extra ziplocs in my mail drops in case I need to replace them.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Registered User hammock engineer's Avatar

I am using sil stuff sacks. You can buy them fairly cheap, or make them for really cheap. I think zip locks are cheaper and could work as well, I just like sil better.

I use a Sea To Summit 20L bag for everything. I like these because theyre waterproof and easy to hang. I put food and whatever else in there and then go hang it on the attached D-ring.

Default thanks

i'm probl. going with the silnylon sacs thanks for the input

Northbound section hiker, GA --> Eastern NY

You might want to consider not using a pack liner (or a pack cover either), and just use a small or medium trash bag to line each stuff sack individually. I do this for my clothes, food bag, and sleeping bag (two trash bags for that), and it works great. Everything stays bone dry. Since you're not relying on the pack (liner or cover) to keep things dry, opening the pack in damp weather doesn't affect anything. I usually use Glad Forceflex bags. They do seem to last longer because they can stretch.

O.R. Hydrolite stuff sacks.

++ New Posts ++