WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Default A different approach trail question

I've seen tons of opinions on doing he approach trail (or not), but still haven't made up my mind. I was leaning toward doing it, but if it's going to leave me exhausted and disheartened just in time to start the trail the next day, maybe it's not such a good idea. Then again, it's possible I might not get another chance at it.

So, some simple questions to help me consider all the angles: At the start of your thru, did you do the appraoch trail or not? Were you happy with your decision, or do you regret it now? Why?

Hehe. C'mon now. Buck up, Victoria. If the approach trail is going to leave you disheartened, what are the next 2175 miles going to do? I enjoyed it, but I did start from the campground, above the falls. It took most of the day (to get to Stover Creek shelter) but it was a good day.

OTOH, I had so much adrenaline me that I could have been strolling barefoot over glowing coals in Hades and still thought I was in paradise. No really, it was a good day. No regrets.

I started from FS42 twice and had been to Springer a dozen times before I finally hiked it over New Years. It's a nice trail and not all that difficult. If I were to hike the trail again, I'd do the Approach Trail. I suggest you stay at the BlackGap Shelter. It's 1.5 miles south of Springer and would make for an easy hike to Hawk Mountain Shelter the following day.

Registered User hammock engineer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by terrapin_too View Post
    Hehe. C'mon now. Buck up, Victoria. If the approach trail is going to leave you disheartened, what are the next 2175 miles going to do? I enjoyed it, but I did start from the campground, above the falls. It took most of the day (to get to Stover Creek shelter) but it was a good day.

OTOH, I had so much adrenaline me that I could have been strolling barefoot over glowing coals in Hades and still thought I was in paradise. No really, it was a good day. No regrets.
    That's kind of my opinion on the matter. It is 8 or 9 miles of a 2100 mile trip. If that gets someone discouraged and they stop their hike because of it, they probibly won't made it all the way anyways.

Having said that. I really don't see the reason everyone is always arguing about this.

Quote Originally Posted by hammock engineer View Post
    I really don't see the reason everyone is always arguing about this.
    Agreed. But it's not an argument.... yet.

Registered User hammock engineer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by terrapin_too View Post
    Agreed. But it's not an argument.... yet.
    It will be. This ranks up there with wingfoot, alcohol/white gas, wingfoot, and maps.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by hammock engineer View Post
    It will be. This ranks up there with wingfoot, alcohol/white gas, wingfoot, and maps.
    You forgot dogs...

I wasn't going to do the approach trail but another thread "talked" me out of it. As was said, if I can't handle the approach trail, how am I going to handle some of those 5,000 footers coming up? Besides, doing it gets me going on my trail legs early.

Besides, after doing some shakedowns in the Whites, nothing can be as hard as that....

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

GAVA '04; GAME '05
    Images

I'd be all for the ATC making that arch the official starting/ending point of the Trail. but that said, until they start painting those blazes white.....

Images

VictoriaM, as I recall, the approach trail is no more difficult than anything that comes immediately after it. Amicalola Falls are worth seeing and Amicalola Falls State Park might be a better place for your family or friends to see you off. I'm not so sure it really matters what you choose, but you'll need to decide and the choice is up to you.

Whatever you decide, I wish you a wonderful journey and memories that last a lifetime!
    Last edited by emerald; 01-29-2007 at 15:53. Reason: Substituted italicized words.

I did the approach trail on both my AT hikes, simply because the taxi drivers weren't willing to drive to FR 42. I just looked at it as the beginning of my hike. My hike began when I exited the car, not when I reached springer. Just as my hike ended when I walked back down to Katahdin Stream, not when I touched the sign on top of Katahdin. It is a fairly strenuous hike, but no worse than what follows. It's just part of the AT - a good introduction. OTOH, it's not an essential part of the experience. If you can easily get a ride up the mountain - okay. If not, go to Amicalola, admire the falls, and then start hiking. It's all good.

Images

It's not that I don't think I can handle it or would quit. I know neither of those will be true. It's just hard to tell what that trail is really like, and if it's as hard as some people say it is (I've heard at least one person say that it's harder than any section of the AT...not sure if that's true) I'm sure it would tire me out. I'm just not sure if that's the foot I'd want to start the actual thru-hike on, or if I'd rather start fresh. I suppose it might all depend on who's staying at the hiker hostel with me, and whether they'll be doing the approach. I'm definitely open to doing whatever feels right at the time, I'm just the type to think ahead, too.

Images

Spiritwalker and VictoriaM,

FWIW, I seem to recollect referring to my hike afterwards as from Amicalola Falls to Roaring Brook.

Images

Default Not so!

Quote Originally Posted by VictoriaM View Post
    I've heard at least one person say that it's harder than any section of the AT...not sure if that's true.
    That person was yanking your chain VictoriaM, please refer to post #9 above.
    Last edited by emerald; 01-28-2007 at 23:46. Reason: Indicated # of my post.

Geezer

if it's as hard as some people say it is (I've heard at least one person say that it's harder than any section of the AT...not sure if that's true)
    It's not. It's steep up to the lodge, but you can sit down and have a coke. After that it's a walk in the woods. Spending the night at Springer is exciting because everyone is ramped up about the upcoming hike.

People always talk about the Approach Trail and Blood Mountain, but I didn't find either especially hard. I thought Kelly Knob was the toughest climg in GA, with Sassafras Mtn a close second (Sass-a-fras will kick your ass, and there's Justus in the end).
    Frosty

I've heard at least one person say that it's harder than any section of the AT...not sure if that's true.
    It's not, by a longshot (from the AFSP campground, anyway.) On a scale of 1 to 10, most of it is a 3. The final ascent of Springer is a 6. Maybe.

Images

Default Apporach Trail

Victoria, It's like the others have said, the Approach Trail ain't near as bad as people make it out to be. I'm over the trail Maintainace for the Approach Trail and have traveled it many many times and like someone else said the hardest thing in Georgia is Kelly Knob with Sassafras coming in a close second. (IMHO) And they are not that bad. A good or different alternative to doing the whole Approach Trail is starting at the top of the Falls and taking the Hike Inn trail and connecting to the Approach Trail north of Frost Mt. It's a little easier and plus you can stop in and check out the Hike Inn and get some Coffe or Lemonade and a snack. Then continue on to Springer. If you decide to do that and you start before Feb. 16 stop in and say hello. The 16th is my last day at work there and I'll start out from Amicalola on the 20th of Feb. Attempting a Thru Hike also. Good Luck and maybe I'll see ya out there.

GA-VA 2005, VA-CT 2007, CT-ME ??
    Images

I didn't do it back in 2005, because I'd done it a dozen or so times already. I probably will this year, just because it's a shorter, quicker drive the Amicalola and I can get started earlier in the morning.

I suspect that you'll be happy either way.
    -Mark

It's harder than what comes just after, but no harder than lots and lots of other days. The worst part is that it puts another day between day one and Neel's gap, which which is a welcome respite to the weary thru-bie and really belongs on day 3 IMO. But in the end what's one more day? I heard all sorts of stories about that first day and night and the friendships that began there. Whatever you decide, it was meant to be...

It's not that I don't think I can handle it or would quit. I know neither of those will be true. It's just hard to tell what that trail is really like, and if it's as hard as some people say it is (I've heard at least one person say that it's harder than any section of the AT...not sure if that's true) I'm sure it would tire me out. I'm just not sure if that's the foot I'd want to start the actual thru-hike on, or if I'd rather start fresh. I suppose it might all depend on who's staying at the hiker hostel with me, and whether they'll be doing the approach. I'm definitely open to doing whatever feels right at the time, I'm just the type to think ahead, too.
    if you have a ride to FS42, take it. if not, get dropped off at the lodge, eat the buffet and start your hike. the approach trail is not difficult at all except maybe if you're extremely overweight, your pack weighs 80 lbs. and you never exercised prior to hiking. the approach trail is way overrated as far as difficulty.

Images

I've seen tons of opinions on doing he approach trail (or not), but still haven't made up my mind. I was leaning toward doing it, but if it's going to leave me exhausted and disheartened just in time to start the trail the next day, maybe it's not such a good idea. Then again, it's possible I might not get another chance at it.

So, some simple questions to help me consider all the angles: At the start of your thru, did you do the appraoch trail or not? Were you happy with your decision, or do you regret it now? Why?
    i did the georgia section southbound and i was parked at amicola falls
    so the approach trail was the departure trail for me neo

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++