WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Numbus Ozone first impressions

Got my Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone today. Went through the instruction manual. Took it all apart and put it all back together. Threw my gear in it. Total weight in the low-20s. Hoisted it on my back and took a few turns around the cul-de-sac.

I think this pack is going to be a winner. Let there be hope. The volume is noticeably larger than the Vapor Trail. Yeah, it's a pound heavier than the VT but there's so much more support. The internal framesheet gives a great fit to my back.

For those just starting on the journey to "light", (ie., how I describe myself) this pack warrants a look. Simple, clean design; outwardly it looks a lot like the VT... just a bit bigger. This pack will be in its stride with a load of 30 lbs., while the VT will be at its limit.

Images

I have a GG ozone---love the pack. Super comfortable and for me the perfect size for a week hike.

Stag3

I hike, I hang, I alky stove, that's what I do!!
    Stockton, New Jersey (along the Delaware River)

Thanks for the review T2....I've been wrestling with the thought of putting my Osprey Aether 60 in the closet (which I like) and giving this GG a try.

Decisions...decisions...decisions.......I can't take it!!!! I'm a gear junkie!!!
    "In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks".
    John Muir

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Have already decided that the Nimbus Ozone will be my PCT backpack. Have the Vapor Trail for all my mid 20lb loads but the PCT will find me carrying 30+ lb loads.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by SoundWitness View Post
    Thanks for the review T2....I've been wrestling with the thought of putting my Osprey Aether 60 in the closet (which I like) and giving this GG a try.

Decisions...decisions...decisions.......I can't take it!!!! I'm a gear junkie!!!
    I was verrry tempted by the Osprey Atmos 65. I loved the frame, but not the actual pack. Loved the way it felt on my back. So far the GG/no is in the same league for comfort. I'm gonna go for another walk...

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Here is a link to my review of the Nimbus Ozone. I'm still using it, although I'm thinking about trying to drop down to a Vapor Trail for summer hiking when my pack weight is closer to 20 pounds than 25.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Quote Originally Posted by SoundWitness View Post

Well if you ever DO put it in the closet, give me a buzz, I'd love to put it to use!

I love my Nimbus Ozone. Just the right size for light weight backpacking. Can't seem to get down to the numbers(oz's and cubes) some folks talk about. The half-way house of BPing!

Images

i love my nimbus ozone too!

it's totally been sitting right next to my bed, ever since i bought it! i truely plan on using it for many a mile this year, but for the next coupla months, i'm just content to look at it......it's quite attractive.
    "The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive." -TJ

Used mine for 18 miles this weekend and it felt NICE! Carries well with 35 pounds. Not quite as good as my Gregory but at 3 pounds less, my knees thank me! If my Gregory was a 10 (and it was), then my Nimbus is an 9 in terms of comfort at 35 pounds.

GAVA '04; GAME '05
    Images

I must have carried too much weight in mine. I had about 38 pounds in it and it just didn't sit right. The shoulders never sit well and the think always felt like it was pulling me backwards. i can't wait to get rid of the thing.

Yeah, my take is that 38 might be pushing it. I might carry that much for a day, planning to eat and drink the weight down as soon as possible (get rid of the heaviest meals and the bottle of __ the first night. If I'm pushing 40, I'm back to the Gregory.

GAVA '04; GAME '05
    Images

but thing is, I had the shoulder straps pulled as tight as they would go and the pack still wouldn't get near my shoulders. i was fighting agains the pack every step i took.

but i guess i understand what you're saying, and every mention of the pack everyone always says how comfortable it is, so either I'm just too crooked or it really was the weight I was carrying.

but isn't that pack designed to be a heavier-weight pack? If a person's only supposed to carry 25 pounds in it, i can think of a lot of other packs that can carry it and be much lighter.

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

[quote=SalParadise;321279]but thing is, I had the shoulder straps pulled as tight as they would go and the pack still wouldn't get near my shoulders. i was fighting agains the pack every step i took.

=====================================

Geez ...that almost sounds like the shoulder harness wasn't adjusted properly or you needed the smaller torso length pack.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Not 25 pounds...35 pounds!!

Pull the straps at the top (are they the "load lifters" or something...the grey ones). That pulls the pack against your back. If they're loose, then yes, the pack pulls back. Cinch those suckers down, maybe tighten up a bit on the pack straps, and you're cruisin'. For me its a balance between the two. You got's to find the balance!! Pull too hard on the load lifters, and you negate the hip belt. Too loose and the pack pulls back. Once I get the right feel on the top, then I tighten down on the straps to just snug things up.

And don't forget to keep the sternum strap in play. I like it to be pretty tight. Of course, I'm tall and thin.

But hey, I've only got 30 miles on my Ozone. I'm still learnin.

GAVA '04; GAME '05
    Images

actually my Ozone is a medium and I generally prefer a large, so it could be that I just needed a larger size and not a smaller one. but my soulder straps were as tight as possible and still i had a huge gap between my pack and my shoulders; there was nothing more I could do about it. but we're all different, of course, and that pack just doesn't fit me at all, and so be it. but i know it's popular, so I figure it's just me.

I'm sorry, though, I don't mean to take over this thread with my own personal dislike of the Ozone pack, because I'm fully aware that I'm in the minority, that most people really love it. so while I'llpersonally never buy another Granite Gear pack again, I certainly wouldn't want to dissuade anyone else from buying a pack that the majority of people really like.

See what size shoulder straps you have. Granite gear will exchange straps and hip belts for bigger/smaller size. It will only cost you shipping.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

It doesn't sound like a shoulder strap problem, but either torso length and/or load lifter tightness. I can get the pack very snug against my shoulders and lower back, to the point that I can walk upright with 35 pounds (the max I'd carry with this pack). I typically carry 24-27 pounds for late Fall hiking and 4 days of food, a weight which works very well for this pack.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Ditto here...when its dialed in, its like a coat...might be a bit hot in summer, but definitely not pulling me over backwards.

GAVA '04; GAME '05
    Images

Dear All,
    You all have been nothing but helpful with the suggestions you have made to get my Ozone pack to fit right. However at this point I feel it is necessary to admit that I am a complete and utter moron, and now it's even documented. I had convinced myself that I did indeed own an Ozone, but I just got the thing out of the closet, it's sitting by me right now, and it is in fact a Nimbus Access FZ. So it is with my deepest apologies and a little egg on my face that for all my whining about the Ozone pack, apparently, I have never actually worn one in my life. Sorry about that, everyone.
    --Sal Paradise

++ New Posts ++