WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tarptents?

Default Tarptents?

Are they effective in wind and rain? Do you have to buy the kind with a sewn in floor to protect against bugs and the elements?

I've had my TarpTent Squall2 for about 2 years now and love it. I do have the sewn in floor so I can't comment on how the floorless versions handle.

With wind and rain it does help to pitch the backend of the tent into the wind.
    Having said that I have never gotten wet, except for a little condensation
    2005 "No Legs" Springer to Clingman's
    2007 SloFar/DrClaw - GA-NJ

I have a Tarptent Rainbow with just a bit of mileage under the hood. It handled itself beautifully on a rather windy night in early January on the MA mid-state trail. I've got the sewn-in floor. It seems well worth the extra 4 oz. (I expect the inside of my tent to be bug-free.)

I have the Rainbow and have used it in 10 degree weather and had no problems and plenty of room. I am 5'11" and it is great. Hard down pour and no leaks. No condensation problem. I have the sewn in bottom and the extra weight is well worth it.
    My Marine nephew uses it on FTXs and has no problems. Set up is easy and all is good.

Formerly CoralRives
    Images

I have the Double Rainbow. Big, light, easy, nice, no worries.
    "Be good and you will be lonesome" M. Twain

There is a road, no simple highway,
    Between the dawn and the dark of night,
    And if you go no one may follow,
    That path is for your steps alone

Images

I have a Double Rainbow and a Squall 2. Both have sewn-in floors with bug mesh. I've never had flooding or bugs. I've been through some very extended t-storms with buckets of water raining down and high winds. Never an issue. The DR's clip-in liner feature is a great 2nd ceiling. Both are easy to set up and light. I'm very happy that I bought the DR. Now I've got extra headroom, as well as space inside for me and gear. Also, Henry's great at customer service.
    "Don't worry...even if things end up a bit too heavy...we'll all float on... all right."
    - Modest Mouse

How small does the center pole brake down on the Rainbow?

Images

I definitely prefer the sewn-in floor. I got a Virga without it, then had the floor retrofitted--after I found a dried-up salamander in the foot pocket of my sleeping quilt. The other problems I had with the separate floor were sliding out of the tent when it was pitched on a slope, and having small things slip out under the netting and get lost in the leaves.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye View Post
    How small does the center pole brake down on the Rainbow?
    I think it's about six or seven or eight segments of about 20" each. About the same as my old Eureka Gossamer... The tent has to go outside the pack, but on the GG packs that's simple and clean.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by terrapin_too View Post
    I think it's about six or seven or eight segments of about 20" each. About the same as my old Eureka Gossamer... The tent has to go outside the pack, but on the GG packs that's simple and clean.

Why does the tent need to be onrhe outside of the pack?

Stag3

Quote Originally Posted by stag3 View Post
    It's kind of a long package, with the poles. That's all.

Images

I repackage my Tarptents (Virga if I'm out solo; Cloudburst if I'm with my husband or one of the kids) in normal stuff sacks so they can fit inside my pack. The pole(s) I store separately in the outside pocket, rubber banded to the stakes.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Quote Originally Posted by stag3 View Post

Stag3
    An advantage to carrying the tent outside the pack: On those nasty (frequent) rainy days, one can arrive at camp and set up shelter without opening up the pack to the elements.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by littlelaurel59 View Post
    An advantage to carrying the tent outside the pack: On those nasty (frequent) rainy days, one can arrive at camp and set up shelter without opening up the pack to the elements.
    Exactly. I have a ULA P-2 with two deep mesh pockets on both sides of it. I put my squall in one and my sleeping pad in the other. Works great. If it's raining, I just slip the tent out, without having to take off the pack cover.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

yes the Henry Shires Tarptent is effective in wind and rain.. I had the one with the floor on my thru hike and it protected me the night of the thousand bugs....

Images

I just recently found out that my trusted eureka solo tent weighs in at a heavy 4lbs 6 oz. I thougth that it weighed much less so if I get a decent amount of money back from my taxes, I will be going with a tarptent because of all the good reviews on Whiteblaze.

Look into six moon designs, they've got some good ones as well

Images

If you want to save some $$$, make your own. I sewed a ray-way tarp this fall, and am happy with it. I have been out in some cold, rainy, and windy nights. No Problem. weight 15 oz. Soon I will sew a net tent that will keep the bugs off, that will add about 9 more oz. http://www.ray-way.com

I also got tarptent with sewn in floors.....real important to seam seal stiching though. Best tent I ever bought!
    a.k.a CHOP-CHOP

Images

Seam-sealing your Tarptent is essential and easy. As for packing it, I take the apex pole out of my DR and store it inside my pack (unless it's wet).
    "Don't worry...even if things end up a bit too heavy...we'll all float on... all right."
    - Modest Mouse

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++