WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    GAME 2000
    Images

Images

Default How far from Rock Gap?

Does anyone know how far Hwy 64 is from Rock Gap Shelter? It's nine miles to the next shelter but the trail crosses 64 somewhere between the two. Also, does anyone know if there are any camping sites north of Rock Gap shelter? Thanks for any help.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

3.8 miles from the shelter to the highway.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf
    3.8 miles from the shelter to the highway.
    Thanks Lone Wolf. I'm planning a long weekend around the 23rd of Oct and working out the logistics of a pick-up at Rainbow Springs. I appreciate your help
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

AT 2008 was awesome! Iron Mnt Gap to Watauga Lake! fatmatt's Avatar
    Images

There is a parking area probably half a mile from the shelter, if you were maybe looking to get closer. We parked there for our Unicoi Gap, GA to Rock Gap section hike this summer.
    Remember: You don't have to be faster than the bear, just faster than the slowest person running from the bear. :D

GAME 2000
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lilredmg
    Does anyone know how far Hwy 64 is from Rock Gap Shelter? It's nine miles to the next shelter but the trail crosses 64 somewhere between the two. Also, does anyone know if there are any camping sites north of Rock Gap shelter? Thanks for any help.
    Actually, my guidebook has Siler Bald Shelter 7.5 miles north of Rock Gap Shelter.

Rock Gap Shelter - 103.0 miles from Springer.

Wallace Gap, Old US64, 1 mile from Rainbow Springs CG - 103.7 miles from Springer.

Winding Stair Gap, US64 - 106.8 miles from Springer.

Campsite by stream - 107.7 miles from Springer.

Siler Bald Shelter - 110.5 miles from Springer.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood
    Actually, my guidebook has Siler Bald Shelter 7.5 miles north of Rock Gap Shelter.

Rock Gap Shelter - 103.0 miles from Springer.

Wallace Gap, Old US64, 1 mile from Rainbow Springs CG - 103.7 miles from Springer.

Winding Stair Gap, US64 - 106.8 miles from Springer.

Campsite by stream - 107.7 miles from Springer.

Siler Bald Shelter - 110.5 miles from Springer.

My companion states that siler bald is nine miles from rock gap, but then it has the distance from springer mileage stating 8 miles....... they must include the blueblaze distances to and from the shelters when referring to mileage between shelters.
    Anyhow I'll be getting off the trail at Hwy 64.

It looks like I'll be getting on at Deep Gap, N.C. and hiking till Hwy 64. I've got 4 days and 3 nights to do it in so I should have plenty of time. I hate to rush.

Does anyone know of any campsites between shelters in this area?

The loop around Standing Indian State Park has plenty of campsites. There is little need to worry between Standing Indian and Carter Gap, with a large gap and several level sites. I don't recall the name of the gap just north of Albert Mtn. There is little distance further to Rock Gap, but you can go down just a few yards to great sites down Glassmine Gap on a blue blaze.

Remember you will be almost no distance to Rainbow Springs Campground from Wallace Gap. I'd recommend parking there or the backcountry parking lot down at the park.

Bill....

Images

Quote Originally Posted by orangebug
    Remember you will be almost no distance to Rainbow Springs Campground from Wallace Gap. I'd recommend parking there or the backcountry parking lot down at the park.

Bill....

Thanks, but I won't be driving. I'm being dropped off and picked up.

Thanks for the info on campsites too.

I knew I could find the answers here. Thanks y'all.

Does anyone know about tent space and water at the shelter?

It is on a fairly hilly area, but folks have set up tents in front of the shelter. This is a very easy place for a hammock. Nearby, the parking area has level ground for tenting, and there are tent areas just a few yard north.

I learned this setting up in the dark.

GAME 2000
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Longlegs
    Does anyone know about tent space and water at the shelter?
    There are two springs a few feet behind the shelter. I don't recall much in the way of tent space near the shelter.

Youngblood

Stayed here in May 2005. Just wanted to mention that there is a bear cable nearby. Also a privy. And a lot of mice. Within sight of the shelter area (head north like a tenth of a mile) there is a gravel road/parking area with a trash bin... nice to know if you want to lighten your load by getting rid of your trash.

Just stayed here last week at the end of a section hike. Not much room for tenting, but we pitched a two-man and a single-person tent to the north of the shelter. Then a huge thunderstorm swept in and it poured all night! Water gushed off the mountain and past our tents, but luckily we stayed nice and dry all night. Those in the shelter, however, were not so lucky. Leaks popped out around duct tape that I'm assuming was placed there during a previous downpour. The mouldering privy here wasn't in as good shape as the others we'd encountered, and neither was the smell. (Looks like not everyone has been adding their cup o' leaves...tsk tsk!) The path to the privy also takes a person over a small but rocky stream, complete with squelching mud. We took a quick trip over to see a gigantic (but dead) tree about .7 miles from the parking area. Very cool. (Of course now I can't remember the name of the trail, but it's right there starting at the parking area...I think the tree is a poplar.)

Section Hiker - 339.8 miles - I'm gettin' there! papa john's Avatar
    Images

That's this tree...http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...ghlight=poplar

Guess it hasn't been cut down yet as rumored.
    Papa John

Quote Originally Posted by Lilredmg View Post
    Thanks, but I won't be driving. I'm being dropped off and picked up.

Thanks for the info on campsites too.

I knew I could find the answers here. Thanks y'all.
    Rainbow Springs Camp Ground is no longer there,

Images

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by tiamalle View Post
    Rainbow Springs Camp Ground is no longer there,
    Uh, her post was way back in 2004.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Uh, her post was way back in 2004.

RainMan

Oh yea,I saw that but every year I talk to newbys who has just walked down there and back.No offense but read my post again,"I said it is closed now" in case a newby was making this as one of their planned resupply points I wanted to try to keep them from making a mistake.

Images

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by tiamalle View Post
    ...No offense but read my post again,"I said it is closed now" in case a newby was making this as one of their planned resupply points I wanted to try to keep them from making a mistake.
    No offense taken, and none meant. Had you not referred to her post, I wouldn't have thought you were talking about 2004. No biggie.

Best to you!

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Images

I was just there at Standing Indian Campground back in October. It kind of stinks that Rainbow Springs will soon be a development of vacation houses. That's progress I guess?
    Stumpy

You can never go wrong with butter or bacon!!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++