WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    What is the lo down on the hostel in Fontana Village? Couldn't find much on that one. I know about the Hike Inn. Is there something else? If so, where is it? Cost? Accept mail drops? The Hike Inn is a little expensive, and I won't need a resupply at Robbinsville.
    Lots of thru's send a food box from Hiawassee or Franklin to NOC and Fontana.

If anyone is needing to send a box here in Franklin as you are coming thru. Me or Three Eagles Outfitter will hold your box free.If I can help anyone pm me.

Images

The guy running the store there was just so good to my kids that I felt he needed the plug. I'm all for everyone doing their own thing as far as the experience goes. This is just asuggestion. If he is as good to other thru hikers as he is to these two guys - well, he'll go broke. The Bear Bait Boys will go see him again though.

These two guys are hiking on debit cards instead of carrying cash. The owner said that it costs him an extra 3 bucks to swipe a card, so he gave the boys his card and said for thme to just mail him a check when they finished the hike. They won't do that to the guy - they got cash at the ATM for him, but really, how many people these days are going to be that good to total strangers? I'll admit that this pair of thru-hikers are good boys and very couteous, trustworthy, reverent, (yes, one is an Eagle Scout)

That's all - just good people. He made the boys' day. The quote was; "If all the people we meet on the trail are this nice, I could spend my life hiking."

I personally can't afford for him to spend his life hiking without some really good sponsorship...any takers?

GAVA '04; GAME '05
    Images

it costs like 2 cents to swipe a credit card (though debit cards are more like $1). but i'm glad you had a good experience.

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by SalParadise View Post
    it costs like 2 cents to swipe a credit card
    Businesses get whacked a lot for credit card use. I wouldn't doubt it would cost the owner 3 bucks for a credit card transaction on a double room.
    Frosty

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post

Incidentally, the motel you mentioned,The Hiawassee Inn, is great, and is where I'll probably stay myself this spring.
    I don't think it's great. Last year me and another hiker arrived early in the afternoon to check in. We wanted separate rooms. I don't share motel rooms. One of the owners seemed pissed that we weren't going to share a room. He finally gave in. Next morning we were rushed by the owner to check out. It was only 8:00 AM. If we wanted a shuttle to the trail it was leaving at 9:00. I don't check out of a room til 11:00. Also it's cash only and no phones in the room. I suggest Holiday Inn Express.

Images

The guys who own the Hiawassee Inn were incredibly nice to me. Way above and beyond the call of duty. In January they came out and picked me up at the trailhead after dark, when I would have had a very hard time hitching. Saved a room for me when I called. (It was the last available room--the rest were full of construction workers.) Fed me an excellent breakfast. Offered to do laundry. Offered to loan me a car if I wanted to drive around town to a restaurant further from the motel than I was inclined to walk. Shuttled me back to the Trail in the morning. Were having trouble with the credit card machine and said if it wouldn't go through I could just send them a check. (The charge finally went through okay.)

Not to slight any of the other places in Hiawassee--because I haven't tried them--but if I pass through there again, I'll be going back to the Inn.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Images

The Inn was great -- they picked me up and gave me a ride to town along with their paying guests, even though they knew I wasn't staying with them. But I still rave about the Blueberry Patch Hostel. A great place to go if you're not into the booze (no drinking allowed). I liked it because it of the setting, a pastoral southern farm right out of a picture book -- exactly what I pictured Georgia to be in the summer time (I was there during a warm spell). Plus, the price was right -- just make a modest donation -- and the owners are super-nice. Their blueberry pancake breakfast is among the best on the trail.

Images

Don't misunderstand - I'm sure that there are other places to stay that are just as good - better than the Inn; BUT, as this is my first experience with staying in Hiawassee (I only live about 100 miles away), my first thru-hiking experience (OK, my son's actually on the trail - I'm just vicariously doing it), etc. My son is not easily impressed and was raving about how good the people at the Inn were treating him. The ammenities were not of importance except for a clean room. They boys were not coming off the trail so they wouldn't miss '24' - or 'Lost', they needed a break from the cold.
    The boys boiled water the night before and put the nalgenes in their bags with them, they were still frozen the next morning and for the whole day. All of the water sources were frozen over. Their filter was frozen. Even their polar pure was frozen in its container. They ate snow all day for hydration. They were miserable.

They learned a lesson about weather - sure, but the Inn owner was more than fair to a couple of tired kids that he could have tried to take advantage of. These particular two would not have allowed that to happen, but the guy was just plain good to them. Consitent with Pokey's report above.

I am for everyone doing for themselves in towns as they see fit, but this kind of service should be reported and cond=sidered by those coming later. That's all

Quote Originally Posted by madstang View Post

I am for everyone doing for themselves in towns as they see fit, but this kind of service should be reported and cond=sidered by those coming later. That's all
    and bad service should be reported and considered. i won't stay there.

Default Hike Inn in Fontana

I have stayed Numerous times at the Hike Inn In Fontana. Jeff and Nancy are great. Reasons to stay here are as follows:

1: They pick you up at the Dam after a phone call
    2: They will wash your clothes
    3: They will take you to Robbinsville for Resupply and for an evening meal
    4: You can share a room and split the costs
    5: They take you back to the Dam the next morning to the exact same spot you left
    6: You can get your premits from them for the Smokies and they will turn them in.

CAUTION: They do take reservations so its best to call them from Franklin or even better from NOC. Even though I know them well, in 2006, when I hit Fontana, they were full and I didnt get a room so I stayed at the Fontana Hilton.

Cya all in the Smokies
    Rebel, with a Cause !!

Quote Originally Posted by SalParadise View Post
    getting to Fontana Villiage always seemed like a hard hitch or a long walk to get to anyway, at least when us hikers are getting through that early in the season.
    Did the shuttle between the AT and village get discontinued?

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    Businesses get whacked a lot for credit card use. I wouldn't doubt it would cost the owner 3 bucks for a credit card transaction on a double room.
    Different cards services charge more.I PAY ABOUT $300 Per month at each of our establishments.

On the 25-year Installment Plan dperry's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tiamalle View Post
    Different cards services charge more.I PAY ABOUT $300 Per month at each of our establishments.
    American Express, in particular. Many places will no longer accept Amex for this reason.
    David Perry
    79.1 down, 2,101.9 to go.

Quote Originally Posted by dperry View Post
    American Express, in particular. Many places will no longer accept Amex for this reason.
    Amex has always been unique in this regard because it's not really a credit card, per se. You're expected to pay off the full balance every month. Whatever the deal, it's interesting that Costco and Amex have some sort of alliance. I wonder how that works...

Images

The reason for taking cash only? -- no records for the tax man. Yes, LW and I did get the bum's rush there. I almost felt the need to apoligize for staying -- right. Holiday Inn Express for me too. Closer to the AYCE.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++