WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Which Tarptent?

Images

Default Which Tarptent?

I'm looking at the Squall 2 and the Rainbow. This will be for me most of the time but will share with girlfriend from time to time, so I need to be able to sleep two.

My big question is how tight is it with two people in the rainbow?

Anybody who can describe the room inside these tents, I would appreciate it.

Images

Also, in the description, the squall 2 is listed at 32oz and comparison it's listed at 34oz, close enought to the rainbow that I suppose it's not that big of a deal.

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

The male dino and I couldn't sleep in a single rainbow, but we are old and 'fluffy'... the Squall weighs 1 more oz, but the width goes from 46" (Rainbow) to 78" tapered to 51" at feet. I'd go with the squall.

Images

But with the squall you have to use either a pole or treking poles that adds more weight, that's one more thing about it. I guess I could get a walking stick and use that.

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

Are you and you lady friend fairly small? If so, the Rainbow would work. However, if you're 6'4 and 230lbs....

Images

I'm big she's small

The Incredibler Edibler

I have the Squall II which weighs in at 32-33 oz including 6 stakes and stuff bag (provided) and weighs 34 oz if you add the 2 oz. front pole ($5 extra).So if you use trekking poles the tent weighs 32 oz, if you don't it will be 34 oz. I have found it to be a GREAT tent for one or two people with plenty of head room (height), elbow room (width) and gear space (length). It's light enough to carry for solo hikes (a palace for one!) and my wife and I use it comfortably when we hike together. It's easy to set up and good in wind and rain, as well as having pretty good ventilation. While I have never used the rainbow the floorplan indicates it is not as roomy for two. The double rainbow looks really nice but is somewhat heavier. For my money the Squall II is awesome!
    A foon by any other name, is still a spork.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by stuco View Post
    But with the squall you have to use either a pole or treking poles that adds more weight, that's one more thing about it. I guess I could get a walking stick and use that.
    Many hikers I know use trekking poles to hike (they are great on uphills and help the knees on downhills), so that is supposed to be one of the advantages to the tarptents - no extra poles and use something you already have. But Henry sells the extra pole if you need it and don't use trekking poles. The weight is still excellent.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

The Squall comes with two poles already. One for the front and the curved one for the back. I forgot both poles once on a trip and managed to use my treking poles on the front and rear
    Conquest: It is not the Mountain we conquer but Ourselves

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    The Squall comes with two poles already. One for the front and the curved one for the back. I forgot both poles once on a trip and managed to use my treking poles on the front and rear
    Are you sure, I didn't think the squall had poles except for the front one.

Thanks for the input folks. And anymore would be appreciated.

(Single) Rainbow might be a tad tight for two adults, but is absolutely palatial for one.

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

I'm looking at the Squall 2 and the Rainbow. This will be for me most of the time but will share with girlfriend from time to time, so I need to be able to sleep two.

My big question is how tight is it with two people in the rainbow?

Anybody who can describe the room inside these tents, I would appreciate it.
    ======================================

A big part of this decision is whether you like an end entry or a side entry better. I've owned both and I can tell you that a side entry tent is much easier to get in and out of.

That said ...I would suggest you consider the Rainbow. And, if space is an issue then consider the Double Rainbow.

Another possibility would be the Lunar Solo-e or the new Lunar Duo from Six Moon Designs.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Images

Are you sure, I didn't think the squall had poles except for the front one.
    here is what came with the Squall (not my picture)

The Incredibler Edibler

Actually, according to Henry's site the Squall II comes standard with the rear pole (which creates the rear arch as pictured top left), four stakes, stake bag and stuff sack. I purchased 2 more stakes for inclement weather. This makes up the stated 32/33 oz. The front pole(s) no longer come standard probably because most people set up using their trekking pole(s), but are available @ $5 for 1 or $9 for 2, (see dropdown menu under Ordering) adding 2 oz per pole. With the way the front entry is designed I have never found getting in or out to be inconvenient, although admittedly a side entry tent like the double rainbow is probably even easier especially since it has double doors.

Last edited by Spork; 02-10-2007 at 08:51.
    A foon by any other name, is still a spork.

Images

Stuco, I'd consider the Double Rainbow,,,, a little heavier, at 2 & 1/2 lbs,,, but well worth it in my opinion, especially for 2 people. All of Henry's tarptents are great in their own respect, but the Rainbow & Double Rainbow have great "sit-up" room, among many other great features. I own the DR, and love it. I'm big, at 6'5" & 270 lbs. It's by far the best tent I've ever owned.

Feel free to PM me, or ask in this post, if you have any more specific questions

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Spork View Post
    Actually, according to Henry's site the Squall II comes standard with the rear pole (which creates the rear arch as pictured top left), four stakes, stake bag and stuff sack. I purchased 2 more stakes for inclement weather. This makes up the stated 32/33 oz. The front pole(s) no longer come standard probably because most people set up using their trekking pole(s), but are available @ $5 for 1 or $9 for 2, (see dropdown menu under Ordering) adding 2 oz per pole. With the way the front entry is designed I have never found getting in or out to be inconvenient, although admittedly a side entry tent like the double rainbow is probably even easier especially since it has double doors.

When I bought mine you got the front pole. I have only used it once and that was to seam seal the tarptent. Right before the Squall II was introduced Henry put the Squall on sale. I got a great product at a reduced cost.

Because the Rainbow is arched, you can sit up from a lying position without touching the walls or taking any special precautions. It's also very easy to change clothes in it. It is too small for two, in my opinion, unless you are sharing it with someone with whom you are intimate, but it would be perfect for two under those circumstances, especially if you could zip your bags together or use a quilt.

Squall 2, or the Double Rainbow...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hopefulhiker View Post
    Squall 2, or the Double Rainbow...
    The double rainbow is just too heavy I'm afraid

Images

I like the double entry feature of the rainbow and the sit up room but it seems the squall 2 is probably the best in terms of space/weight. Why did they quit making the virga?(or did they?)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++