WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Invasive Toxic Plant: Giant Hogweed

Giant Hogweed, an invasive species that causes blisters and extreme sensititvity to UV rays, is spreading along the east coast. Following is a story from the Baltimore Sun about local problems with the plant:

http://www.sunspot.net/news/yahoo/ba...saol-headlines

And here is a site that provides more specifics about identifying the weed...

http://dnr.metrokc.gov/wlr/LANDS/weeds/hogweed.htm

finally, a map showing its distribution in the Northeast:

http://ceris.purdue.edu/napis/pests/...ap/usaall.html

And yet another reason to hide under you bed and leave the woods to me. Lions and tigers and plants, oh my!

Section Hiker 500 miles smokymtnsteve's Avatar
    Images

Last edited by smokymtnsteve; 08-13-2003 at 21:44.
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

This stuff is a serious problem. It's no reason to stay out of the woods, but keep an eye out for it in your travels and if you find any, mark it on your map and report it. If it shows up on your property, kill it with Round Up. Get the concentrate and mix it 50% stronger than the label recommends.

Don't worry about Round Up's effects on insects and animals, it is a highly targeted herbicide. You could drink it full strength and suffer nothing worse than indigestion and maybe some diarhea. But it kills plants pretty good. Glyphosates like Round Up Rodeo and Accord are the most commonly used herbicides in the industry. You can plant in the treated soil again in six weeks as well. My father-in-law uses it to weed his garden, all the orchard owners I know use it around the bases of their trees to kill off weeds and other plants that could compete with the trees for soil nutrients and water. It's a very safe herbicide.

Invasive weeds like Giant Hogweed, Purple Loosetrife, Autumn Olive, Fragmites and Kudzu choke out native plant species very quickly. Fragmites and Purple Loosetrife are wiping out native cattails. Autumn Olive was planted heavily along highways and other municipal projects because it grows fast and begins to form a visual and sound barrier, but it then continues to spread. Kudzu is, well, kudzu. Poison Ivy , Oak and Sumac are also invasive species. They spread easily and are hard to kill. If poison Ivy, Oak or Sumac get established on your property you will wage a many-years war with them to wipe them out. Japanese bamboo is the same though it isn't toxic. It spreads like crazy and it's near impossible to kill. Unfortunately many of these invasive species were considered ornamental plants until recently and people planted them intentionally. They then lost control of them and they began to spread into the wild damaging the natural integrity of the local ecosystems. There are NO mechanical means of eliminating them; chemicals must be used.
    Andrew "Iceman" Priestley
    AT'95, GA>ME

Non nobis Domine, non nobis sed Nomini Tuo da Gloriam
    Not for us O Lord, not for us but in Your Name is the Glory

Are there any type of death dealing products that do not meet your approval. To claim that you can drink a herbicide is outrageous.
    Last edited by Blue Jay; 07-28-2003 at 10:33.

Whatever you do, do it boldly without apology!

I have come to understand that my participation in this forum is counter productive. In an attempt to ammend this I am deleting my posts and have requested to have my account deleted.
    Last edited by meBrad; 08-12-2003 at 13:40.

Brad, I am a Biochemist. You are a fool

I have come to understand that my participation in this forum is counter productive. In an attempt to ammend this I am deleting my posts and have requested to have my account deleted
    Last edited by meBrad; 08-12-2003 at 13:40.

Brad, both things are designed to stop life. What you call them makes no difference at all (unless you are a BS artist). Call Scotts, the manufacturer, and request an MSDS for both types of round up. You will agree that you should NOT drink them as WAS suggested.

I have come to understand that my participation in this forum is counter productive. In an attempt to ammend this I am deleting my posts and have requested to have my account deleted
    Last edited by meBrad; 08-12-2003 at 13:42.

I got the Monsanto MSDS (remember the Monsanto Plant that blew up in India poisoning thousands). Eye Protection:Wear chemical goggles. Skin protection: If repeated or prolonged contact: Wear chemical resistant gloves. Respiratory protection: Wear Respirator. It reacts with GALVANIZED (my capitals) steel to produce hydrogen. Monsanto has not conducted toxicity studies on this product. Why, because they already know the result. IT KILLS THINGS. Reread you post, I think you may agree with my assessment of your BS talent.

I propose a celebrity death match of sorts. Brad & Blue Jay battle it out atop the summit of Killington. Loser has to drink Round-up and roll around in Giant Hogweed. $10 admission fee. All proceeds to benefit ATC.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Brad, I cannot believe I just tried to talk you out of drinking or performing something that ends in the suffix "cide". Go ahead be my guest.

Last edited by meBrad; 08-12-2003 at 13:42.

:banana

OK, you win drink it.

Last edited by meBrad; 08-12-2003 at 13:43.

Section Hiker 500 miles smokymtnsteve's Avatar
    Images

Last edited by smokymtnsteve; 08-13-2003 at 21:41.
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

Monsanto also makes DDT and continues to sell it around the world. The Brads (and Todds) of the world (could he be in PR or advertizing?) always claimed that it was safe also, even after the Eagles and Hawks started to dissappear. Even now that it has been banned here and proven to be harmful Monsanto continues to sell it outside the United States. I believe that Hogweed, bears, rattle snakes, stinging neetles, Brads, poison ivy and skunks all have a place in this world. But only Brads spray themselves with poison.

Last edited by meBrad; 08-12-2003 at 13:43.

Default Story on DDT

I heard a story on NPR (National Public Radio) about why africa was still using DDT. They spray it around their houses and up under the eaves to kill the mosquitoes carrying all kinds of nasties. Apparently all the other insecticides wash off/evaporate too easily. DDT sticks around, which is why makes it so bad, yet so useful.

I thought that was really interesting. How a person and a society has to weigh one bad against another. Tough decision.

Gravity Man

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++