WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Deep Gap (NC) to Hwy 64

Is anyone interested in hiking Deep Gap (NC) to Hwy 64 this weekend?

Egads
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

Images

I'm going to be hiking the other way (clockwise around the Standing Indian loop) this weekend. See you out there!

Marta/Five-Leaf
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

How are you getting up to Deep Gap? The road is closed until March. Probably, you will have to park in Backcountry lot near the park, walk up Kimsey Creek Trail and back around to your car.

I may be. I hiked Stecoah Gap to Fontana Dam yesterday. I want to do another NC section this upcoming wkd. What about the road being closed?
    Rob McNeill
    Dawsonville, GA
    706-216-3853 (w)
    706-265-8386 (h)
    404-933-0033 (m) 24 x 7
    [email protected]

Touch base with Ron Havens in Franklin with shuttling and motels. A few weeks ago he found that the FS was locked and gated.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyray View Post
    I may be. I hiked Stecoah Gap to Fontana Dam yesterday. I want to do another NC section this upcoming wkd. What about the road being closed?
    The FS road is scheduled to be closed every year Jan 1 to mid March. Check with the Nantaha Hiking Club to verify.

No big deal; as someone else already said you can park at Standing Indian Campground and hike the Kimsey Creek Trail to Deep Gap. About 3.5 miles.

A pretty easy section is to park at the BackCountry lot, walk up Kimsey Creek Trail to Deep Gap, head north on the AT. Sleep near Carter Gap Shelter or Betty Gap (depending on when you get there), walk around past Mt Albert and head back to the parking lot from Glassmine Gap. This is a pretty easy two day walk.

Images

You can get to Deep Gap from the GA side by hiking the Deep Gap Trail.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Images

Default Deep Gap to Hwy 64

Thanks for the tips, any hikers?
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

Quote Originally Posted by Skidsteer View Post
    Cripey! That sounds like a really tough hike. Have you done it?

Quote Originally Posted by Skidsteer View Post
    Skidster have you been thru there lately? I hiked down thru that old rd about 10 years a go and it was real growd up back then.I also used to go up Eagle Fork to Bly Gap and Hike down to Tate City,Ga near Persimmon,Ga but all those old forest service roads are all grown up now.I would hate to give hikers directions and they get lost.There is an old forest service rd I have used to get to Plum Orchard also.I was up there last year looking at some property for sale by my cousin and it is passable but 300 ft before you get to the trail is real grown up.

Quote Originally Posted by tiamalle View Post
    Skidster have you been thru there lately? I hiked down thru that old rd about 10 years a go and it was real growd up back then.I also used to go up Eagle Fork to Bly Gap and Hike down to Tate City,Ga near Persimmon,Ga but all those old forest service roads are all grown up now.I would hate to give hikers directions and they get lost.There is an old forest service rd I have used to get to Plum Orchard also.I was up there last year looking at some property for sale by my cousin and it is passable but 300 ft before you get to the trail is real grown up.
    I think Skids was just making a suggestion that there is another trail that is available to Deep Gap. Lenny gave a trail report from last year on that link and he didn't have any problem till close to the top. There's a number on that site to call if anyone has any questions about that trail.
    [COLOR="Blue"]Hokey Pokey [/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by Hikerhead View Post
    I think Skids was just making a suggestion that there is another trail that is available to Deep Gap. Lenny gave a trail report from last year on that link and he didn't have any problem till close to the top. There's a number on that site to call if anyone has any questions about that trail.
    Skidster is a great hiker friend and I thought he may have hiked it lately.I will hike it again a little later,but I am wide open trying to get all my projects finished in the next 2 weeks so I can devote a couple of months to the north bound thru's.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by orangebug View Post
    Cripey! That sounds like a really tough hike. Have you done it?
    About a dozen times over the last 4-5 years. It's really an easy hike-except for the half-mile of hell in the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by tiamalle View Post
    I think October or Nov. was when I hiked it last. No problems.

It was dicey back in 2003(?) after the hurricanes hit. I kept running into lost people. It's been cleaned up pretty good since then.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

++ New Posts ++