WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Question Before you leave home

Hey,

I feel like I have everything in order for leaving home, i.e. bills and insurance stuff - but is there something I'm not thinking about? Is there something that most people don't think of doing? I welcome any advice. Thanks!
    Danielle
    "To the bat cave...."
    http://web.mac.com/laniamore

Journal Entries
    Images

Call your cable company to see if they have "seasonal" rates. You won't need your internet either. The water company might also have "seasonal" rates.

Don't cancel anything. Just let them know that you won't be needing full service for whatever period of time you'll be away. Make sure you know the procedures to get everything back to normal once you return.

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

Images

Cool

Will someone be recieving your mail and checking for legal notices etc? Do you have someone who can legally sign for certified mail in your absence? Many times there are time limits on responding to legal correspondence such as from courts, motor vehicle divisions and especially our friends the IRS. Having mail held or otherwise not receiving it while off hiking the AT would rarely be considered an excuse.

This may be overkill for you, at age 21, and perhaps not, but I answered more to bring it up for everyone else too.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Feed the fish.

Water the plants.

Urr, don't leave any food in the microwave. I lost a microwave like that.

Clean out the fridge and leave it off and partially open.

Unplug power sapping electronics: TV, VCR, turn off your monitor, etc.

Don't practice your new privy skills. Flush .
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Some last minute ideas:

In your address book, as well as friends and family members, heve contact
    info for:

*Your bank (very useful if you need to replace a Credit or Debit card)
    *Your doctor or insurer
    *Your optician if you have glasses or contacs

Also, make a copy of ALL of the contact information you'll be carrying (emergency phone numbers, etc.) and give a copy to your basecamp person, as well as mailing all of this info to your personal E-Mail account. Then, if you lose or misplace your wallet, this info won't be forever lost.

Make sure you have a list of all of the places you plan to stop and get mail or parcels. This way you won't forget to pick one up, nor will you go into a place looking for mail that doesn't exist.

Also, keep a list of "important" parcels, i.e. the ones with maps, medications, new ATM card, etc. This way, if you ever decide to "bump ahead" or skip a parcel, you won't be by-passing something really important.

Make sure your basecamp person has a copy of the Companion or Handbook. It'll make it a lot easier to find you in a Trail town, call a manufacturer, get you your mail accurately, etc.

Add a few safety pins to your emergency kit. Also more Duct tape. You'll need it. Also, I always pack a disposable camera. It only weighs a few ounces, and that way, if I see something spectacular and my real camera isn't working for any reason, I don't lose the shot entirely. (Note: Even if you don't do this the whole way, make sure you pack one out of Monson, Maine. I know of at least three people who don't have a Katahdin shot because this was the one time their camera malfunctioned, or the film was lost somehow. )

All for now, more later, maybe.

Hey thanks everyone for the advice!! Came up with a few things I hadn't thought of. Appreciate it!
    Danielle
    "To the bat cave...."
    http://web.mac.com/laniamore

Registered User hammock engineer's Avatar

I'll throw out my list.

Update bank card, it expired while I would be hiking
    Auto pay of bills: student loan, car, cell phone
    Prepay bills: car insurance, health insurance, pocketmail
    Taxes
    Backup all info in my phone.
    Backup all files on PC
    Forward mail to a relative. Someone you can trust to open it, read it, and let you know if some action needs to happen.
    I stopped paper statements from my cellphone, student loan, bank (they won't get lost or stolen)

I am leaving last year's ATC companion with my parents along with a bunch of gear. I am going to itemize my gear. I don't think my parents can tell the difference between similar pieces of gear. In case I need something mailed. They are also going to mail me guide book and map sections. I am leaving them about a months worth of food. If they are mailing me gear/maps I may as well get food and treat it as a full resupply.

You might want to open in a just incase credit card. I am the last one to tell someone to get into debt. But you can fix most problems if you throw enough money at it. Might be a good backup plan.

Email/contact all your friends/relatives and let them know you will be out of contact. As if they did not know already.

Change cell phone voicemail message to say that I will get back with them in 6 months, or something to that affect.

I forgot to add that some cell phone companies will let you suspend service for a time period. You will have to finish out your contract when you restart it. I know they do that for people going overseas for military service. That option might be there for everyone. Just ask nice, and double check after it starts.

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

[quote=hammock engineer;321530]I forgot to add that some cell phone companies will let you suspend service for a time period.
    =============================

In 2003 I was able to have my monthly cell charge dropped to a minimal "maintenance" rate ...I think it was about $10/month. That way I kept the number and my contract stayed in tact. After 6 months they (in this case it was Cingular) automatically reactivate your regularly montly rate. Also ...if you dial out on that cell phone before the 6 month period they reactivate your service. Needless to say I did NOT carry the cell phone with me on the trail. I did however mail it to myself in Millinocket so that I'd have a way to call out after I finished my hike.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

all this info would make a good article. (im not volunteering though)
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Formerly CoralRives
    Images

My brother will have every piece of gear that I am not currently carrying. Each piece will be in a separate bag with a number on it. I will have a copy of the inventory with me. When it gets warmer, I'll call him and tell him to send me bags 3, 5, 18, 24, etc, to Mail Drop location "A". I'll send back my cold weather stuff and have him insert that into what ever numbered bag I tell him to and I'll adjust my inventory sheet.
    "Be good and you will be lonesome" M. Twain

There is a road, no simple highway,
    Between the dawn and the dark of night,
    And if you go no one may follow,
    That path is for your steps alone

If your life is at all complicated and you have someone trustworthy, consider giving them a general power of attorney so they can transact business for you in your absence. Best consult a lawyer before doing this, though.

Quote Originally Posted by laniamore View Post
    Hey,

I feel like I have everything in order for leaving home, i.e. bills and insurance stuff - but is there something I'm not thinking about? Is there something that most people don't think of doing? I welcome any advice. Thanks!
    I just saw that you are from Athens. I am going down to Red River Gorge, KY the last weekend of this month if you want to join me. This is probibly going to be my last prep hike before I leave. So far it is me and a couple people who post here and on hammock forums, and a buddy of mine. Just to warn you, there is probibly be a lot of hammock talk.

My wife had me write my will before I left.....

Images

I gave my wife power of attorney! I just may have to live on the trail from now on.

Seriously, make sure your bank knows you are going to be accessing your accounts from strange places. Make sure they put a note in your file. I was on vacation in Europe and suddenly my primary credit card stopped working. Luckily I had a backup. When I called the bank after returning home they said it was “fraud control” because the charges were not in my “normal” spending locations.
    The heaviest thing I carried was my attitude.
    Montani semper liberi - Mountaineers are always free

Desire is the main ingredient for success

Images

A young man I hiked with was concerned about running out of money. To help himself ration he had an account with a debit card from which he could only withdraw $100 at a time. In order to put more money in his spending account he had to act to transfer money from his main bank account. He was able to keep hiking when many around him dropped out because their money ran out.

Marta/Five-Leaf
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Working on Forestry Grad schol

Charcoal in the refrigerator

Working on Forestry Grad schol

It will stop the refrigerator fromgetting a foul odor.

++ New Posts ++