Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 40
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    09-05-2006
    Location
    Northeastern PA
    Age
    59
    Posts
    401
    Images
    8

    Default 100 Mile Wilderness

    Is this section difficult to hike because of terrain? Or is it because you'll be unable to get food, etc. for quite some time? Also how long does it take the average hiker to get through this section?
    Happy Lifetime Sectioner!

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    06-10-2005
    Location
    Bedford, MA
    Posts
    12,678

    Default

    On a scale of 1 to 10 (for the whole AT) I'd give it a 7.5. (With 10 being the most difficult.) When I did it, there was no resupply between Abol bridge and Monson. Not sure if that's changed or not. I did it in seven or eight days... the first time I ever averaged 15 miles/day for a week straight. It was beautiful. Prolly the nicest stretch of AT anywhere, in my opinion.

  3. #3

    Default

    It's the distance, in my opinon. Western Maine is more difficult. There are resupply options in the 100 Mile if you choose. A southbounder might take 7 or 8 days, a northbounder 5 or 6.
    Teej

    "[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

  4. #4
    GA=>ME 2007 the_iceman's Avatar
    Join Date
    07-02-2006
    Location
    Ocala, FL - moved from Boston
    Age
    67
    Posts
    451
    Images
    1

    Default

    I did it southbound with no resupply in about 8 days I think. The last one was a long one because the guy I was hiking with was a vegetarian and he ran out of food (PPP on his part) I found the trail itself pretty easy but a lot of roots, rocks, and mud.

    I also found it to be one of the more "un-wilderness" of the trail in spots. We got to a lean-to one day and found a group of kaki clad hikers that looked like the stepped out of Eddie Bauer - we called them the Eddie Bauer Group. We were 3 or 4 days into the hike and had at least 2 days of rain. We were wet and mud covered and these guys had "staked-out" the leant-to. We asked "how the hell did you get here?" Seaplane dropped them on the lake. We went to camp on the lake shore and we actually had to wade around the point to find a spot with no tents.

    In the lakes area there is the constant drone of planes. Then just south of Antlers Camp my brother stated throwing up blood. He caught up to us at a lean-to where we were taking a lunch break. He said "I am heading back to that last logging road to try and catch a ride." We packed out and chased after him but he was gone. 5 minutes on the road and we hitched a ride as well all the way back to Millinocket and tracked him down. The next day we hitched back in and finished the hike without him.

    So, IMO, not so WILDERNESS.
    Last edited by the_iceman; 02-14-2007 at 19:46.
    The heaviest thing I carried was my attitude.
    Montani semper liberi - Mountaineers are always free

    Desire is the main ingredient for success

  5. #5
    GA=>ME 2007 the_iceman's Avatar
    Join Date
    07-02-2006
    Location
    Ocala, FL - moved from Boston
    Age
    67
    Posts
    451
    Images
    1

    Default

    I think those 8 days included the little detour ro Millenocket
    The heaviest thing I carried was my attitude.
    Montani semper liberi - Mountaineers are always free

    Desire is the main ingredient for success

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    06-07-2003
    Location
    NH
    Age
    53
    Posts
    40
    Images
    1

    Default

    I did it nobo in 4 1/2 days. some tough stretches but if you're in "trail shape" it goes by pretty fast. I was in a hurry to get off the trail and didn't stop to "smell the roses". I would recommend taking 8 days at least to appreciate this section. I would likeo t go back someday and see it.

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    11-20-2002
    Location
    Damascus, Virginia
    Age
    61
    Posts
    31,132

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Namaste View Post
    Is this section difficult to hike because of terrain? Or is it because you'll be unable to get food, etc. for quite some time? Also how long does it take the average hiker to get through this section?
    it's not difficult at all. roads everywhere. resupply options are many.

  8. #8
    Registered User DavidNH's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-02-2005
    Location
    Concord, NH
    Age
    57
    Posts
    2,050

    Default 100 mile wilderness

    Quote Originally Posted by Namaste View Post
    Is this section difficult to hike because of terrain? Or is it because you'll be unable to get food, etc. for quite some time? Also how long does it take the average hiker to get through this section?
    You can resupply at White House Landing a little more than half way through. But they are VERY expenisve (as in they nicke and dime you. However..they DO have 1 pound cheesburgers....that is hard to pass up!)


    I think most folks went through in like 6-7 days. I took a full 10. It is so beautiful.. and so remote..why rush it. So ya carry an extra 10 pounds in food..so what? You're in trail shape by then and like I said it is some of the finest scenery on the whole AT.

    As to terrain..some of it is easy. Much of it can be muddy. parts are very rugged (the chairback range!). It ain't the Mahoosics but it ain't Shendoha Nat'l Park either!

    Take your time and enjoy this section is my advice. Unless the weather is bad..then you'd probably just want to get through quick as ya can.

    Don't miss the Antlers camp site. A real gem!

    DavidNH

  9. #9

    Default

    I did it in '05 in 7 days/6 nights. If you're just starting out, it's challenging enough but I found it much easier than the rest of Maine. As others have noted, not as much "wilderness" in that there are plenty of signs of civilization and you'll meet people but it is the longest AT segment without a public road crossing. There are a few stream fords so be careful there if they're running swiftly.

    Enjoy the lakes and the view from Whitecap.

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    07-02-2004
    Location
    Branson, Missouri
    Age
    70
    Posts
    116

    Default Not difficult

    The 100 mile is not terribly difficult, but by the time I got there, my feet were so torn up the roots were hell. Stubbing a toe normally isn't so bad but when they are like boils, that is a much different story. And you will see more than your share of roots in that section!

    One good thing. The stars are INCREDIBLE. I got up in the middle of the night and felt like I could see into forever. More stars than I'd seen in years.

    And there are blueberries the size of marbles.
    A man said to the universe, "Sir, I exist."
    "However", replied the universe, "that fact does not instill in me a sense of obligation."

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DavidNH View Post
    You can resupply at White House Landing a little more than half way through. But they are VERY expenisve (as in they nicke and dime you.
    I disagree completely. They provide very good value for the specific services they provide. The location is very beautiful and you get a free boat ride. Usually it's hikers that nickle and dime service providers.

  12. #12
    Registered User weary's Avatar
    Join Date
    12-15-2003
    Location
    Phippsburg, Maine, United States
    Posts
    10,115
    Journal Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TJ aka Teej View Post
    It's the distance, in my opinon. Western Maine is more difficult. There are resupply options in the 100 Mile if you choose. A southbounder might take 7 or 8 days, a northbounder 5 or 6.
    I like to take 10 days -- but mostly because usually I was doing things besides hiking, like inspecting and taking notes on the trail to guide my maintainers. or, in 1993, killing time because I was meeting my wife at Katahdin Stream on Oct. 15 and had time to enjoy my final days on the trail.

    Except for White House Landing, resupply in the area takes more time than just hiking through, since it's several hitchings to get to the nearest town. The alternative is to arrange in advance for a pick up which is expensive.

    I usually arrange for someone to meet me at a road crossing half way through. Once I luckily arranged with a brother to bring in some fresh steaks. Lucky, because a companion fell and broke her wrist four miles from the rendezvous. I and my grandson got the steaks. My companion got a ride to the Millinocket hospital.

    Weary

  13. #13

    Default

    It's not much of an isolated area anymore. The first 2 1/2 days out of Monson is slightly difficult but for the most part, the rest is flat. It can be accessed so easily now that when I hiked in 2002, 5-6 hikers slack packed the whole 100 miles.
    geek

  14. #14
    Registered User weary's Avatar
    Join Date
    12-15-2003
    Location
    Phippsburg, Maine, United States
    Posts
    10,115
    Journal Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf View Post
    it's not difficult at all. roads everywhere. resupply options are many.
    The roads are all private logging roads, traffic is scarce, and towns are a 30 mile round trip or so away.

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    09-05-2006
    Location
    Northeastern PA
    Age
    59
    Posts
    401
    Images
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DavidNH View Post
    As to terrain..some of it is easy. Much of it can be muddy. parts are very rugged (the chairback range!). It ain't the Mahoosics but it ain't Shendoha Nat'l Park either!

    DavidNH
    Now I feel like a complete idiot. I have hiked the Chairbacks section where we ended up crossing a stream and then getting picked up at a road very near by. I didn't realize that was part of the 100 mile wilderness.
    Happy Lifetime Sectioner!

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Namaste View Post
    Now I feel like a complete idiot. I have hiked the Chairbacks section where we ended up crossing a stream and then getting picked up at a road very near by. I didn't realize that was part of the 100 mile wilderness.
    You got the hard part done! Relax and have fun.
    geek

  17. #17
    Registered User Peaks's Avatar
    Join Date
    09-04-2002
    Location
    Marlboro, MA
    Posts
    3,057

    Default

    If you look in the MATC Guide, it gives estimated hiking times for each section. Most thru-hikers are generally around the minimum published hiking times. But, as others have posted, some take longer. It all depends on your goals for hiking

    Generally speaking, is the 100 miles difficult? That's a relative term. Certainly as others have posted, Western Maine and the White Mountains are much more difficult.

  18. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    06-10-2005
    Location
    Bedford, MA
    Posts
    12,678

    Default

    Does the "100 mile wilderness" include Katahdin itself? If not, I'd certainly agree that most of it is not that difficult. When I did it long ago it certainly felt quite remote, and did it with no resupply. For those who feel "less than whole" for not having forded the Kennebec, take heart. There are two or three fun river fordings, though most likely you'll not get more than shin or knee deep.
    Last edited by rafe; 02-15-2007 at 14:21. Reason: typo

  19. #19
    Registered User DawnTreader's Avatar
    Join Date
    03-12-2006
    Location
    white lake Michigan
    Age
    38
    Posts
    675
    Images
    44

    Default

    I found the Barren Chairback range a little tough, but that was about it. I took the full 10 days, wish I'd had longer to linger on this magnificant section. great spots include. cooper brook falls leanto, antlers campsite, rainbow springs leanto, rainbow ledges, .. That first little mountain going sobo I won't forget. Nesuntabunt Mt. looking over Nahmakanta lake was breathtaking. White House Landing, and Peadmuncuk Lake were great... Take time to Canoe.. Start or finish at Katahdin, what a great Mountain.. TAKE YOUR TIME.. Have a blast.. Peace, I'm out...
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined. As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler.
    Henry David Thoreau

  20. #20
    Registered User
    Join Date
    11-20-2002
    Location
    Damascus, Virginia
    Age
    61
    Posts
    31,132

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by terrapin_too View Post
    Does the "100 mile wilderness" include Katahdin itself?
    no. just to abol bridge

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •