WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Providing Trail Magic

Our Scout Troop would like to provide hot meals for hikers along the AT in either Ga or NC for a weekend. What locations would help facilitate this? We would also need camping nearby.

Section Hiker 500 miles smokymtnsteve's Avatar
    Images

your local homeless shelter would be a good place to start.
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

Yeah,,, not to sound like a smart-ass, but smokymtnsteve is right. I did it a few times and still to this day 20 years later I often refer ( in my mind) to what a humbling experiance it was.

In all sincerity what are they going to get by handing me a hot meal.
    "LOVED OR HATED, BUT NEVER IGNORED"

Thru-hikers certainly appreciate food and especially cold drinks but they're right, there are much needier people in the world.

What's with all this Anti-Magic all of a sudden ? I have done trail magic in the forms of trail work, feeds, and have taken leftovers to hostels and food banks for over 15 yrs. and I have never seen a hiker yet that didnt appreciate it even the few that chose to walk on by. I have done ALOT of long distance hikes and have yet to hit on any signifigant trail magic in the form of hot meals, cold drinks, etc always had to Yogi , so I would be glad to walk upon gold bond and his scouts providing such services but of course all the places in Ga and NC will be full of other so called trail angels doing their magic as well so good luck finding an empty place !!! I agree that efforts and monies can be better spent providing for the homeless and those in need (hikers really dont "need" it and have come to expect it) as long as it isnt the worthless drunks who could work but wont and bum their way thru life. There is always a food bank or the red cross or someone who has had a house burn down or something, the local homeless shelters usually are just drunks that wont quit their bad habits long enough to provide for themselves other than bumming on corners and grocery store parking lots pretending to be vets. But why all the animosity towards gold bond just cause they want to spread some trail magic ? Geez lighten up ya`ll and be polite.

RAT

I don't see where you see animosity at all. Of course hikers appreciate it, but there are needier people. Everyone should meet some homeless people; they might not think they're all worthless drunks. Many of them have severe mental illness other than addiction disorders. A civilization can be judged on how it treats the most vulnerable members of society.

Rat's right.

The guy asked for a few locations, not for a lecture on the morality of trail magic.

Off the top of my head, Gooch Gap in Georgia has plenty of tentspace.

In NC, Wayah Bald might work, easy to drive to and good camping nearby.

But your logic in your last post, Tater, we're all thoughtless, selfish. horrible people because we opt to take six months off and spend three to six thousand dollars that we should perhaps be giving to the less fortunate.

Honestly, folks, the world of charitable works will not fall to pieces because these kids are out throwing a weekend cookout for thru-hikers. I think meeting the hikers and talking to them would be a great experience, especially for the scouts that are really into the woods. Every thru-hiker was a curious 13 year old kid once upon a time.

Honestly, folks, you could go a bit easier on this falla.....unless, of course, you're all planning to go down to your local homess shelter first thing in the morning and write 'em a check for 150 bucks.

Oh, you don't plan on doing that?

Didn't think so.

Thanks Jack, that was my point, a homeless shelter is not a place to feed hot meals to thru hikers so not an appropriate answer esp. without any followup to it, just seemed rude to me, sorry if I misinturpreted.

Everyone should meet some homeless people; they might not think they're all worthless drunks. Many of them have severe mental illness other than addiction disorders. A civilization can be judged on how it treats the most vulnerable members of society.
    The ones I see can stand at the end of an exit ramp for hours on end with a sign that says something that isnt true (they are in groups and take turns doing this) and in my opinion if they can endure that in all weather conditions and are of good enough mind to con folks of their money then they could certainly run a cash register or some other form of legitimate work, only they choose not to. Most homeless are that way because they choose to be. I am not saying ALL are like this by no means because I helped a family once that had become stranded during the holidays and really needed the help and had no choice but to resort to begging. In that case it would be most humble to help. And as for judging a civilization, you arent supposed to judge anyone anyway least you be judged yourself

Deep Gap and Stechoa Gap are some others but will surely have angels there already

RAT

Yeah it's not like hikers need it but the scouts are into outdoor stuff. Let them feed and talk to some hikers. Sure helping some less fortunate folks may be good for them but feeding thrus could be like meeting pro ball players.

If I was a scout I'd want to meet some thrus not feed the homeless.

Another point....the folks that are giving this guy all sorts of guff..... Let's imagine THEY arrived at Gooch Gap or wherever after a long day's hike and found this guy and his boys ladling out soup and grilling cheesburgers, and had big fat coolers full of ice cold soda and juice.

I'm sure the first thing out of their mouths would be to berate this guy for his thoughtlessness, cruelty, and indifference to the poor.

Um, no. I don't really think so.

They'd be too busy scarfing down everything that wasn't nailed down, and we all know it.

Whatta load of sanctimonious BS we're hearing here today!

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo View Post
    but feeding thrus could be like meeting pro ball players.
    oh christ, give me a break "thrus" are just getting started in Ga/NC. most won't make it. they're hardly worthy of any kind of stardom.

[QUOTE=Jack Tarlin;323377 Let's imagine THEY arrived at Gooch Gap

They'd be too busy scarfing down everything that wasn't nailed down, and we all know it.[/QUOTE]

pretty unlikely after just 2 short days of hiking

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf View Post
    oh christ, give me a break "thrus" are just getting started in Ga/NC. most won't make it. they're hardly worthy of any kind of stardom.
    I'm not saying they are. I don't know how old the scouts are but if I was 10-12 years old and into outdoor stuff like hiking then distance hikers would be folks I'd look up to. Even if they only walked 50-100 miles that's still seems like a lot to a little guy. It's probably 50-100 miles more than the scouts have walked. It's exciting and impressive to them. It's enjoyable to them. Just cause you're an old man killjoy doesn't mean the kids won't enjoy it.

By the way when are you gonna teach the scouts how to ford.

No appetite, Wolf??

Geez, I remember one morning on USFS Road 42 about seven years back when you and I and a bunch of other folks cooked a big breakfast and fed around thirty-five folks who'd just woken up at Springer Mt. Shelter an hour or so before. They'd been on the Trail for all of one whole mile, and their appetites were just fine.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by skyhiker2 View Post
    In all sincerity what are they going to get by handing me a hot meal.
    Give these teens some impetus to get off their backsides from their gaming, get out and hike by conversing and sharing in the hiking exerience from those of us who are doing it. (!) This isn't to feed our face. It's so we can impart our enthusiasm for hiking to young men so they will pick up a backpack and do it. That's a worthwhile endeavor, IMO. Hope they go for it and are out there when we come through!

Then they can also do a weekend at a homeless shelter for the full experience of helping others and allowing others to help them.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

""Honestly, folks, the world of charitable works will not fall to pieces because these kids are out throwing a weekend cookout for thru-hikers. I think meeting the hikers and talking to them would be a great experience, especially for the scouts that are really into the woods. Every thru-hiker was a curious 13 year old kid once upon a time."" What Jack said.

Right on !
    Just cause they want to meet and feed some Thru-Hikers doesn't mean they don't already do "Other Stuff", a GREAT experience for our youth. Its ALL GOOD! Wish my Troop would have done it back in the day.......

I only know of one really good spot in NC but its already taken
    Does DEEP GAP have camping? Probably have company there too????
    Hope the Scouts have a great time!
    Fishinfred
    FISHINFRED

MY STUFF

MY STUFF ON EBAY

Journal Entries
    Images

The Scouts are allowed to do all sorts of things for fun. Fun is an important part of the whole experience.

That said, the question was where along the AT is a good place to provide Trail Magic.

Others are in a better position to comment, but I am surprised nobody has suggested that these kinds of things are better done away from the AT. Or at least not in the AT corridor proper.

Or not?

Life, there's nothing else quite like it. Gadog430's Avatar

I know this time of year there are sometimes issues with the road to Deep Gap not being open.

As a person that has done Trail Magic and shuttling, you take those boys right on up there IMHO and let them cook.

Waht a sweet thing, and you never know which one or ones of them will find a lifetime of love for the trail and the outdoors.

What a wonderful gesture.
    Dawg

Quote Originally Posted by fishinfred View Post
    ""Honestly, folks, the world of charitable works will not fall to pieces because these kids are out throwing a weekend cookout for thru-hikers. I think meeting the hikers and talking to them would be a great experience, especially for the scouts that are really into the woods. Every thru-hiker was a curious 13 year old kid once upon a time."" What Jack said.

Right on !
    Just cause they want to meet and feed some Thru-Hikers doesn't mean they don't already do "Other Stuff", a GREAT experience for our youth. Its ALL GOOD! Wish my Troop would have done it back in the day.......

I only know of one really good spot in NC but its already taken
    Does DEEP GAP have camping? Probably have company there too????
    Hope the Scouts have a great time!
    Fishinfred

Feeding the homeless would be good for highschool kids but not younger. I take my daughter to do trail magic. I'd rather have her visiting with a retired doctor or college student than the average homeless person. Hikers express great appreciation while others think they deserve the help.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++