WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Filming the AT project, donations appreciated

Hello everybody. I haven't posted much in these forums, but I have spent long hours reading them. I want to let you all know about the project my company has been planning for the past year, and to ask if anyone has an interest in making small (or large?) donations of funds or critical lightweight gear that is on our list. In no way do I want to be pushy - just want to let you know about the opportunity and see if there's any interest in supporting the project. If the idea turns you off, please read no further.

Anyway, the idea in a nutshell is to SOBO section-hike beginning this summer with a videographer and one or two support hikers. We will film our traverse and make DVDs from the video footage for several target markets. We have experience shooting video and creating DVDs. If we can get the gear we want, we'll have base pack weights around 11 pounds including two video cameras filming in tandem, extended life batteries and tapes. For full project details, gear lists, news coverage, progress reports, sample iteneraries, my brief resume, specs on the video cameras, to see an older sample video, and for info on donations please visit the website at http://www.downeastwebs.com/AT .

Donors and sponsors will have access to a full-disclosure page on our site which will show all funds and gear received and used. We even have a Federal Tax ID # to show our sincerity about this project. Donations from businesses may be tax deductible (see website). If youre interested, there's a Donate Now button on the website that will let you make a PayPal donation, or info about other options for donation/sponsorship.

If you have questions post them here or email [email protected] and I'll answer them as soon as possible. Thanks in advance!

After reading your websites, I don't understand what your charitable pupose is. Are you going to be giving the DVDs away free?

Some of your 6 mile days in the 100 mile wilderness will take you all of about two hours to walk.

Images

Wonder if she will move back to Georgia and restart her "Marketing Company," when she is done.

Images

I don't understand why this person is asking for money?? Go hike your hike, film it if you want, but why should we give you cash?
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined. As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler.
    Henry David Thoreau

Whatta load of crap. Get a second job to finance your project.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcmichen View Post
    We will ..... make DVDs from the video footage for several target markets.
    WOW! She must have a set balls as big as the tires on my truck.
    Send me money and I will make you one of several target markets.

I think I'm going to be sick.

You can post your 501(3)C information, and we can check it out at the IRS's online charitable organization information pages, and see your disclosed reports there.

Otherwise, maybe save up the money and go in a few years when you can pay for everthing, IMHO most folks here have their hands full with their own expenditure$ for their hike.

Have fun with your project!
    ad astra per aspera

A video about an AT hike? C'mon... at least have an original idea..
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

P.S. I just went to this site, and while it's very nice that you have stated:

We are going to great lengths to assure potential Sponsors and Donors that we are above-board. We recently acquired a Federal Tax ID number to help reinforce our sincerity,
    No great lengths, you can get one online at the IRS number, it takes about 5 minutes.

As for reinforcing your "sincerety", it just states you plan on making enough money to have to pay taxes. Federal Tax ID#'s or EINS are used for businesses who have or intend on forming as a business, DBA, or corporation (i.e. C,S or LLC) or a sole proprietor. The EIN number doesn't make anything "legit" other than you are doing business, and plan on paying your taxes from your profits, which I assume you are going to need if you are taking in profits for the sale of the DVD's.

Not for Profit orgs receive their EIN and a Tax Exempt certificate, and are first registered with their state (SOS, and the Attny. Gen. of that state), and can also apply for their 501(3)C status.

Otherwise, you are just asking for money, flat out.
    ad astra per aspera

If anyone does donate, and maybe has a little left over for another donation, please send it to me. Then maybe I can do my hike sooner (and at less personal expense).
    Remember this - - Even the best of friends cannot attend each other's funerals.

You want us to buy your toilet paper for you?

Images

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by jmcmichen View Post
    I want ... to ask if anyone has an interest in making small (or large?) donations of funds or critical lightweight gear that is on our list. In no way do I want to be pushy - just want to let you know about the opportunity and see if there's any interest in supporting the project. If the idea turns you off, please read no further.
    I thought your post was gracious and above board. That's not always true of everyone who asks for money and/or offers things for sale on here. Some may be taking that out on you.

I apologize that some WhiteBlazers have been needlessly harsh and/or mean-spirited in their replies. That just reflects on them, not on you. Plus, I seriously doubt they are that way in real life. Keep your chin up and stay honest and gracious. Best to you, and ... believe it or not, welcome to WhiteBlaze.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

You're being too nice Rain Man. The successful business woman needs to fund her own hike/video. Why should anyone else? It's not even for charity.

sounds like her "company" is broke. the AT has been fimed to death anyway.

Am I missing something? At first I thought you were soliciting charitable donations, and maybe you are but if so I don't get it. It seems that you want to do an AT video and then sell copies to health clubs to use by giving yuppies on treadmills something to look at to forestall boredom, all accompanied by some "upbeat" pop music, 'cause God only knows the silence of the forests is a total drag. Did I miss something? Oh yeah, you want others to pay your expenses, which includes a $599 Garmin. Will you distribute any profits back to contributors, or do they just get the warm, fuzzy feeling from spending money on your behalf?

"Another DVD series will specifically target the fitness-minded consumer. People who use treadmills or stationary bicycles often lag in their training due to boredom with the time spent exercising. Our DVDs will offer the visual stimulation of moving down a Trail that is a national icon, with a choice of natural outdoor noises or upbeat audio accompaniment. We believe that these DVDs will fill a niche in the market that has been vacant until now."

LOL.... "fill a niche that's been vacant until now"

That assumes two things. That there ever was a niche and that the film will get made.

"We believe that these DVDs will fill a niche in the market that has been vacant until now."
    Riiight. Cuz, like,
    nobody's
    ever filmed the AT before.

Quote Originally Posted by norub View Post
    Riiight. Cuz, like,
    nobody's
    ever filmed the AT before.
    No, I think the niche is for the treadmill types that can't be bothered hiking the real thing.

I remember this amusement ride once where you sat inside a capsule that resembled a roller coaster. it would jerk up, down and sideways as you watched a screen of a real roller coaster ride. It also had sound and if I'm not mistaken wind effects.

I imagine you could make a virtual AT hike with an invertible threadmill/stair master with similar features.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    I imagine you could make a virtual AT hike with an invertible threadmill/stair master with similar features.
    It wouldn't be any fun without simulated rain. And simulated bugs.

Marta/Five-Leaf
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++