WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Formerly CoralRives
    Images

Thumbs down Pocket Mail Warning

I will NEVER deal with Pocket Mail again. Their CR department is rude, and incompetent. They double charged my card for one device and 6 months of service. They refused to acknowledge that this occurred. The CSR was a rude Aussie chick, I asked for all transactions to be CANCELED and my chargeS reversed. She said this would happen, but refused to give me a confirmation or credit number, said they would e-mail it to me, it never happened. The order went through, the refund never occurred, now UPS is delivering the device. I called back, got put on hold for NO KIDDING 45 min. ANd GOT THE SAME RUDE AUSSIE CHICK. When I voiced my dissatisfaction over the device being sent out anyway, she became angry and more rude and would NOT CONNECT ME WITH A MANAGER. SHOCKER. She would not give me her name nor a manager's name but took my number and said she would have .someone call me back.... I'll be sure to hold my breath.

Pocket Mail at this point is a Bush League Operation with Piss Poor CS.
    So I know many of you use or were planning to use this service. Good luck, I hope you don't EVER need to deal with the CS Dept. If their server goes down and you lose your journal or e-mails, bless your hearts, but don't say you weren't warned!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Boat Drinks; 02-20-2007 at 17:34.
    "Be good and you will be lonesome" M. Twain

There is a road, no simple highway,
    Between the dawn and the dark of night,
    And if you go no one may follow,
    That path is for your steps alone

Dispute the charge in writing with your CC company. Info on how to do so will be on your statement.

Formerly CoralRives
    Images

Oh, I'm way ahead of you there brother....

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Pocketmail, as a technology, is pretty good for hikers. Simple,. rugged, does what it is supposed to do.

(I just gave back the Pocketmail that has been on the PCT, CDTx3 and about to go on the PCT again!)

But, I've heard because it is old technology that is being quickly made obsolete by widespread WiFi and cell technology, Pocketmail is taking a HUGE financial hit.

I can't see Pocketmail being around much longer as a viable company. Too bad..there is nothing like it that fits the niche of people who wander in places without widespread WiFi/cell technology.

So, yeah..buyer beware.

There are enough geeks in the hiker community that I suspect some "wicked smaht hikah" will cobble together a server that will work with pocketmail once the PM company goes belly-up.

But, that is just a guess.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Normally you're not charged until the item ships. Are you sure one "charge" wasn't just an authorization? I see that on my Paypal balance all the time. It looks like I'm getting charged double, but I'm not.

Registered User Pacific Tortuga's Avatar
    Images

I was afraid a report came out saying they caused cancer, so this news is just a heads up, thanks.
    Last edited by Pacific Tortuga; 02-20-2007 at 20:49.

y'all don't need no stinkin' gadgets in the woods anyhow

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf View Post
    y'all don't need no stinkin' gadgets in the woods anyhow
    No one gives a **** if you carry 50 lbs of crap! HYOH!

If you're journaling to post on the web, it's easier than a pen and paper and/or you can reach more friends and family at once rather than calling them all on the phone individually.

Writing by hand is pretty therapeutic too, but I did haul a heavy pocketmail with me last year.

You can always do a chargeback, if they double charged, you'll win.
    ad astra per aspera

Registered User hammock engineer's Avatar

On the old technology. Yes it is. But only in the modem. It uses very old school audio tones to communicate. Slow as could be, but very useful when you only want to use a phone.

Formerly CoralRives
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    Normally you're not charged until the item ships. Are you sure one "charge" wasn't just an authorization? I see that on my Paypal balance all the time. It looks like I'm getting charged double, but I'm not.
    It was 2 charges, they backed one out and put the other one through AFTER I asked them to cancel the whole Shebang. The CSR when explaining how the order went through and shipped said this: " I don't know how it went through, whether it was me or someone else."
    "Let me speak to your supervisor"
    "There is no one available."
    Let me have your name and your supervisors name."
    No, give me your phone number and I'll have him ring you."

I can not believe the gall of these people.

By the way, I called back and got the same chick for the 3rd time! Do they only have one CSR?????????????????
    AND, no "Ring" back from the Supervisor.

I had a problem with them a few year back. A few months after I finished the PCT and was down to my last $150 or so they automatically re-upped my yearly subscription and left me broke. It took awhile to straighten it out with my bank/debit card.

I still used the pocketmail as my address book but shortly after the screen went bad and it was too difficult to read. Surprisingly, it still turns on, and I can enter my password, bring up old emails ect with the batteries being 6 years old!

Formerly CoralRives
    Images

Default Got a super...

I called back, got a second CSR with a better 'tude, and she promptly connected me to a supervisor, Ernest. Ernest had obviously been "briefed" on my situation and he knew what was coming. He profusely apologized for the CSR's attitude and for the item being shipped after I had canceled it. I have to refuse the delivery and wait for it to be received back by PM and then they will process the refund.
    So, I feel better.

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Guess this is the type of fun I have to look forward to ...

Wife and I each bought a new Composer a while back off of eBay but haven't activated service yet.

Who knows ...by the time I actually go to use it the whole PocketMail program might be defunct.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Formerly CoralRives
    Images

So, you won't be using pocketmail?

ROFLMAO, I needed that Sly, gracias!

(smart ass)

LOL....

Johnny, will you be using any other form of electronic communication or going back to paper and pen?

I'm considering doing a journal and have another older, but unused JVC pocketmail device, that someone gave me for journaling, but I'm not looking forward to another bill. Unfortunately, this one has never been activated, otherwise, I could store a bunch of journal entries and then activate it halfway through my hike saving money.

I looked at some of the smart cellphones with a querty keyboard, but they're too expensive. Maybe I'll just go back to the old ways and try and find a transcriber.

Formerly CoralRives
    Images

LOL....

Johnny, will you be using any other form of electronic communication or going back to paper and pen?

I'm considering doing a journal and have another older, but unused JVC pocketmail device, that someone gave me for journaling, but I'm not looking forward to another bill. Unfortunately, this one has never been activated, otherwise, I could store a bunch of journal entries and then activate it halfway through my hike saving money.

I looked at some of the smart cellphones with a querty keyboard, but they're too expensive. Maybe I'll just go back to the old ways and try and find a transcriber.
    Yeah, I had my sister in VA lined up to transcribe for me, I was figuring I would save her the hassle of trying to read my chicken scratch with PocketPunk service. BUT..... She is more than happy to do it for me, so back to pen and paper... Plus, I got really fat fingers and have issues typing on a real keyboard so....

Registered User hammock engineer's Avatar

I have a cell phone with a full keyboard. One thing to consider is that most of them do not have an internal program to write text in. You need to either send text messages or have a digital connection and compose emails. Not something I think I can do everyday while hiking.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++