WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Coffee talk

Default Coffee talk

Has anyone tried using the Senseo pods. I was hoping to use them like a tea bag. Your thoughts...

This is precisely what I'll be doing starting on Friday. I've already tested this at home and have been pleased with the results. Like you said, it's just like a tea bag and couldn't be easier to prepare and clean up.
    "Don't wait too long." -JPH

ditto. they have worked well for me and i would consider myself a coffee freak. cowboy coffee is long gone (hate the cleanup) homemade coffee rigs work well, but for the ease of use (very easy to make it stronger too), weight and bulk it is the best i have found. I really like Stop and Shop brand bags too... weird, but they taste alright.
    Especially if you're just going to add nasty powdered creamer anyways...

Images

Default Better than coffee bags?

I'm assuming these must be better than the Coffee bags that are out there. I know those use some instant coffee.

I'll definatly give these a try.

Lyle

Thanks for your replies! I noticed that the quality of coffee is much better in the pods than the "tea bag" coffee. I will go tonight to buy some Sumatra blend pods! Thanks again!

Wassup Stu? I'm thinking your spoon thing with the tea ball at the end sounds like the real deal. Just make sure you grind the coffee coarse.

I've been led to believe that it's ok to sprinkle one's coffee grains about the ground whn uze done with them. ? .

Cowboy coffe is the only wat to go.

Images

Well whaddya know.....a homebrew in a coffee house.

Hey.

Section Hiker

Quote Originally Posted by dscostu View Post
    Has anyone tried using the Senseo pods. I was hoping to use them like a tea bag. Your thoughts...
    I just tried the Pods coffee disks the past few days on the trail. The first thing I noticed was my food bag smelled like fresh ground coffee. The Pods coffee taste pretty good, much better than those coffee tea-like bags. Actually, the Pods tastes better than typical consumer brands to me. But maybe that was some psychological ploy to justify the expensive Pods!

I don't regret giving them a try, and I'll likely use them for backpacking until something else better comes along.

For a nicely steeped cup of coffee or tea, I like to put the bag in my nalgene the night before with however much water I'm going to use. By morning, the flavor is quite to my taste--then I can heat it up in my cup, or have a cooler drink if the weather is warm and I don't want hot coffee.

Just Hikin' Along
    Images

Default Coffee Press

Much of the reason I went with the slight extra weight of a JetBoil was the bonus of a coffee press. I roast and grind my own coffee (usually Yemen Mokha Mattari). Then I seal just the right amount for one press in extremely tiny individual zip lock bags. Just boil the water and drop in the contents, wait four minutes and press. It's a highlight of my day at home, so why not on the trail too.

Images

I found an excellent instant espresso, repackaged into a ziplock. One teaspoon, usually added to an instant hot chocolate, was my usual morning drink. Very tasty!
    Tipper

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tipper View Post
    I found an excellent instant espresso, repackaged into a ziplock. One teaspoon, usually added to an instant hot chocolate, was my usual morning drink. Very tasty!
    Well tell us the name!
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

I've had good results with Melitta Tea Filters. They're intended for brewing loose tea, but I've found that they also work very well with coffee. Since pods can get a bit expensive, I've found this method to be more affordable as well.

Anyone tried dehydrating their favorite brew?

Quote Originally Posted by saimyoji View Post
    Anyone tried dehydrating their favorite brew?
    Folgers does that... it's called "instant"...
    Sardis Thru-Hiker Club - A 6.73 miler.

Quote Originally Posted by gumball View Post
    For a nicely steeped cup of coffee or tea, I like to put the bag in my nalgene the night before with however much water I'm going to use. By morning, the flavor is quite to my taste--then I can heat it up in my cup, or have a cooler drink if the weather is warm and I don't want hot coffee.
    I'm going to do a house trial of this today... The "cold brew" method isn't new... the resulting coffee is famed for its flavor and lower acidity. I'm not sure what affect cold brewing has on the caffeine, however.

Do you have a dedicated nalgene for this process, or can you get the coffee smell/flavor out of the nalgene after you're done?
    Sardis Thru-Hiker Club - A 6.73 miler.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterSweetie View Post
    Folgers does that... it's called "instant"...
    I believe the process of making instant coffee is much more involved than just dehydrating it. I guess your answer is no?

Default with Linda Richman

Do you mean this Coffee Talk ?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++