WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Best part of the middle?

In my previous question (most beautiful view) everyone gave answers that were either north of Vermont or south of Maryland. I understand that the miles in between are less inspiring, but surely there are some nice parts there also. Anybody care to take a stab at this? Doesn't have to be most beautiful, just name a place you particularly enjoyed.

I was pleasantly surprised with some of the views on my last hike -- over the Kitatinny ridge in NJ (mostly views looking east) and in eastern PA. But in general the mountains in the central portion aren't very high, so you're in "the green tunnel" more often than not, with fewer opportunities for expansive views.

Some highlights I've seen from the central portion so far... Sages Ravine (CT/MA border,) walks along the Hoosatonic in CT, a view looking out over North Adams MA (and from Greylock summit,) crossing the Hudson, some nice stuff in Harriman State Park. Kinda low-key compared to the Whites and Maine, though.

I kinda like the view from Hightop south of Swift Run Gap in Shen. NP - I often stop there for a few minutes - but its not as good as MacAfee / Tinker Cliffs.

how about the view from the rocks above Duncannon overlooking the river valley?
    geek

Images

A warm summer day, crossing those final fields as you head into Boiling Springs, knowing that an ice cold Coca Cola awaits you. I'll never forget that day - seeing the young and vibrant DragonSlayer slackpacking in a halter top from a long way off and watching her walk toward me as if she is floating across the field was also a highlight.
    Last edited by Toolshed; 02-21-2007 at 15:59.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

One of the most scenic spots in Maryland, the Annapolis Rocks at sunset.
    “Only two things are infinite; The universe and human stupidity,
    And I’m starting to wonder about the universe.”
    Albert Einstein

My favorite view in MD is from Weverton Cliffs, overlooking the Potomac.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Weaverton Cliffs were very nice indeed.

Kittaninny (sp?) Ridge, also mentioned, was nice.

In fact, New Jersey was my favorite surprise on the trail. Surpingingly good views, mountain laurel in bloom around Sunfish Pond (southernmost glacier pond IIRC). Beautiful.

Yep..New Jersey was my favorite "middle" section of trail. Good chance you will see a black bear near the PA/NJ border, too. I did. First time seeing a bear in the wild.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Here are a few that I liked:

• The Pinnacles in PA. There is just one long ridge running through that part of the state and you are on it admiring the checkerboard of farms below.
    • The Knife Edge just south of Bake Oven Knob. Underrated.
    • South of Camp Mohican are some open(ish) summits where you can see the Delaware River.
    • The little knob about 2 miles after William Brien Shelter where it is possible to see New York City. There's just enough room for a couple of tents.
    • The Hangglider Viewpoint. The launch was dismantled sometime in the last 5 years and the open space is rapidly being overgrown. You can just barely make out Lime Rock Racetrack.
    "I too am not a bit untamed, I too am untranslatable,
    I sound my barbaric yawp over the roofs of the world." - W. W.

obligatory website link

Donating Member
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    In fact, New Jersey was my favorite surprise on the trail. Surpingingly good views, mountain laurel in bloom around Sunfish Pond (southernmost glacier pond IIRC). Beautiful.

Yep..New Jersey was my favorite "middle" section of trail. Good chance you will see a black bear near the PA/NJ border, too. I did. First time seeing a bear in the wild.
    Alright Mags! Finally, NJ gets its props!! I'm a Jersey boy if you couldn't tell, and am tired of all the slack it gets! (In general, I mean, not here at WB.)
    "You will find something more in woods than in books. Trees and stones will teach you that which you can never learn from masters."
    ~Saint Bernard (1090 - 1153)

Images

Here are two that have not been mentioned yet:
    Lehigh Gap in PA, particularly the descent down into it (heading south). All exposed rock.
    The ridgewalk just north of the NY/NJ border, also very rocky (and slippery when wet!).

Quote Originally Posted by firemountain View Post
    Here are two that have not been mentioned yet:
    Lehigh Gap in PA, particularly the descent down into it (heading south). All exposed rock.
    Geez, I dunno if I'd call that a beautiful view. More like a, "You've got to be *****ting me" view. There's a busy road and a bridge at the bottom... not quite my ideal calendar photo.

The ridgewalk just north of the NY/NJ border, also very rocky (and slippery when wet!).
    Looking down on Greenwood Lake, you mean? Pretty nice, though hardly "to die for." For me, one of the loneliest days I've ever experienced on the AT. Went nearly two whole days without seeing another human.

Great Falls in CT without question the most impressive site on the trail. Its sad that thru hikers never really get to see this at its peak.

Donating Member
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Snowman View Post
    Great Falls in CT without question the most impressive site on the trail. Its sad that thru hikers never really get to see this at its peak.
    Hey Snowman, when you say "peak", are you talking about a particular time of year? Early spring during snowmelt maybe?
    "You will find something more in woods than in books. Trees and stones will teach you that which you can never learn from masters."
    ~Saint Bernard (1090 - 1153)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by veteran View Post
    One of the most scenic spots in Maryland, the Annapolis Rocks at sunset.
    nice view, indeed. The evening I sat up there and watched the sun go down, they were holding races at the track in the valley below - sounded like I was on the infield of the Talladega 500 (where I mispent a part of my youth!)....
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

I love the Shenandoahs, but that's probably because that's in my vicinity. We use to skip school and drive up skyline drive when I was in high school.

Great Falls is best in early spring end of March early April of a year with a heavy fast snow melt but what really makes for the show of a life time is when the power plant closes and sends the whole volume of water over the falls. Its the power plant that makes it hard to see the falls at peak flow not so much the time of year.. At peak flow the water covers the whole rock face you see from the lookout not just the narrow stream you see in July and Aug.

GA - Central PA 1977
    Images

Well I can`t say much for the natural beauty part of it all but if you have any interest in history the middle part of the AT from Northern Virgnia thru cnetral PA is full of historical places which are right on or near the trail
    Sometimes you can't hear them talk..Other times you can.
    The same old cliches.."Is that a woman or a man?"
    You always seem out-numbered..You don't dare make a stand.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

>>Alright Mags! Finally, NJ gets its props!! I'm a Jersey boy if you >>couldn't tell,

Vernon was nice little trail town, too. Then there was this tiny town where I picked up a care package (I can't remember now), that is in a suprisingly rural area. Pleasant stop.

YEp..NJ: The AT's best little "unknown" gem.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

I liked NJ too. Not at all what I expected, but a nice variety of terrain and views. I didn't see any bears, but I have them at home so that didn't matter. Of course, I haven't done the whole trail yet, so there's still lots to look forward to.
    Dogpaw (AKA J. Marshall)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++