WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by n2o2diver View Post
    Don't forget to download Mr. Parkays maps, they are the be all end all of maps for the Pinhoti, both GA and AL sections. You won't find more comprehensive maps anywhere. They may not be up for long, he said he may be having some problems with National Geographic copyright something or other. http://picasaweb.google.com/Johnsonc80
    These are awesome maps. To get best resolution, make sure you get them by clicking the DOWLOAD PHOTO link on the right. The file should be about 1.5 MB. If it is 7KB or 70 KB, then you are saving the thumbnail.

Once opened on screen or printed out, these are superb.
    Frosty

Images

Thanks for the tip. The Georgia section is probably going to be my next long hike. Now, how do I bamboozle my current employer into a couple of weeks off . . .

Images

Looking at the Georgia maps I think I'd turn LEFT on Old Jackson Chapel, hoof it to GA 53 and turn right on 53 and walk that into Cave Spring. GA 100 gets a LOT of logging traffic; not as heavy on 53. But you're right Frosty, those are some great maps Mr. Parkay has worked out.

Images

Yesterday I went to day hike on the pinhoti(burns trailhead,coleman lake sec3 area) and the trailhead was closed with signs saying that there was a forest fire on dugger mountain and the trail was closed until further notice.

Just thought some of you might like to know this.

Images

Thanks for that info Stucco! I'll look into it. Hopefully it wont impede our hike!
    ~If you cant do it with one bullet, dont do it at all.
    ~Well behaved women rarely make history.

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by ALHikerGal View Post
    Hopefully it wont impede our hike!
    Nah, we'll be fine. If we have to detour, we can figure it out then, but even if the trail isn't officially open, we'll be okay, I'm sure.
    Frosty

Images

Well, if the weather thats predicted over the next few hours, we wont have to worry about water... huge rains, tornado watch... heading straight for AL. Most businesses and schools are closing at noon!

Geezer

Well, if the weather thats predicted over the next few hours, we wont have to worry about water... huge rains, tornado watch... heading straight for AL. Most businesses and schools are closing at noon!
    Forest fires, monsoons, tornadoes ... what? no earthquakes?

Are you as glad as I am that we decided on late March rather than early March?
    Frosty

Images

Oh good, you just had to ask about the quakes... Yes, we do get them here! Last one was just last month!

Images

Just spoke w/ Forest Service on phone... fire is in Dugger Wilderness. While signage says trail is closed, it has not affected the trail at this time...

On another note... permits... while they are needed for hiking during deer season (which has just ended), they are not required, but highly recommended, during turkey season (which starts March 15th). They are free. Frosty, I have to be over in that area for other business, so I'll pick them up just so we can say we "did the right thing."

Images

Last call!!!!

Not really, but in case anyone was going to show up, we didnt want to leave them behind.

Frosty and I will be at the Bull Gap trailhead early afternoon on Sunday, March 18th.

Stuco, hope you can make it.

N2O2, see your about Blue Mtn Shelter?

I had thought about doing this, starting in Alabama, hiking up to to Cape Gaspe in Quebec, to somplete the Appalachian MOUNTAIN Trail. Decided I didnt want to start hiking on a trail that has lots of road walking though. Best of luck on this trail though. Not too many people know about it, so props for making the effort to hike it.

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by vaporjourney View Post
    I had thought about doing this, starting in Alabama, hiking up to to Cape Gaspe in Quebec, to somplete the Appalachian MOUNTAIN Trail.
    That would be a pretty awesome hike. I'd also like to do the IAT. I'm going to give the AT another go next year. We'll see how I feel if I make it to Maine. Haven't gotten to VA yet ...

Did I read somewhere that you are doing a thruhike this year? Good luck if so.
    Frosty

Yes Frosty, I am starting my thruhike this saturday, the 17th. I am planning on going over Knife's Edge and continuing up the IAT to Cap Gaspe as well. Can't wait. Thanks for the good wishes.

Images

ALHIKERGAL : You are gonna do a write up and share some picts from the hike, aren't ya?

This Pinhoti thread combined with Mr Parkays maps have really got me fired up on doing the pinhoti (although i just started a new job post-foothills hike last month, so I now have zero vacation days).

Images

Quote Originally Posted by humunuku View Post
    ALHIKERGAL : You are gonna do a write up and share some picts from the hike, aren't ya?

This Pinhoti thread combined with Mr Parkays maps have really got me fired up on doing the pinhoti (although i just started a new job post-foothills hike last month, so I now have zero vacation days).
    Frosty and I will both likely be doing trailjournals, so I'll post the links to it when we get back. Im an avid picture taker, so Im sure there will be plenty!!

Hope you can make the trip some day!

Images

We will be leaving a day or two ahead of you two. How far are you planning on going?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by stuco View Post
    We will be leaving a day or two ahead of you two. How far are you planning on going?
    Allll the way! Well, the AL Pinhoti anyways... From Bull Gap to Cave Spring.

Images

Allll the way! Well, the AL Pinhoti anyways... From Bull Gap to Cave Spring.
    We are going to go to heflin and see how we feel, We have to be don by monday. That's over 70miles so that's a good bit of it. I hope you guys make it all the way. I just hiked about 5 miles of it over dugger mountain a couple days ago and am happy to confirm for you know that that section is open again.

Images

We plan on 6-7 days to get to heflin. Who knows we might keep on keepin' on after that

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++