WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Images

:banana Scared of thunderstorms... Cancelled my thru...

Ok, not really, but it does have to do with thunderstorms and rain. I have no problems getting wet. I played in the mud as a kid and with fourwheelers as a teen. Me and messy conditions have no issues. However, my down jacket might have something to say about it. Day after day of rain or even a few hours of hard downpour, I have a NF Venture Raincoat to help protect me, but the word is "YOU'RE GOING TO GET WET!" Anyone want to give advice on wearing a down jacket or even share a useful story? NO advice on switching to a different material please. I leave Saturday and the decision has been made.
    "The more unintelligent a man is, the less mysterious existence seems to him." ~ Schopenhauer

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

You are WISE to admit and accept that up front. You may have heard about 2003. Some say it was the wettest year on record for the AT. Not sure about that ...but I can tell you that a lot of hikers quit early because they were not MENTALLY prepared to deal with the constant wetness.

Regardless of how wet 2007 ends up being you ARE going to get wet and most like STAY WET for days in a row. Make fun of it, joke about it, complain about it ...but DEAL !!

Have a great hike !!

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Except in the dead of winter, I've never worn down garments for hiking. And even then, layering is a lot more versatile. So my advice is to stash the down if there's any rain at all. Save the down for inside the shelter or tent, where it's guaranteed to stay dry.

socrates, don't wear the down while hiking. leave it for camp. just layer up and accept that you will get wet!
    Peanuts (aka i.j.)
    "A womans place its on the trail"

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

If it is cold enough to wear down for hiking, it won't be raining, it will snowing. Keep your down with your sleeping bag or in a separate waterproof sack.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Frolicking Dinosaurs View Post
    If it is cold enough to wear down for hiking, it won't be raining, it will be snowing.
    Of course! DUH! The perfect explanation! I forgot all about the freezing point on that one. haha I swear if my head weren't screwed on...
    "The more unintelligent a man is, the less mysterious existence seems to him." ~ Schopenhauer

Quote Originally Posted by Socrates View Post
    Ok, not really, but it does have to do with thunderstorms and rain. I have no problems getting wet. I played in the mud as a kid and with fourwheelers as a teen. Me and messy conditions have no issues. However, my down jacket might have something to say about it. Day after day of rain or even a few hours of hard downpour, I have a NF Venture Raincoat to help protect me, but the word is "YOU'RE GOING TO GET WET!" Anyone want to give advice on wearing a down jacket or even share a useful story? NO advice on switching to a different material please. I leave Saturday and the decision has been made.
    you ain't gonna make it

Journal Entries
    Images

Geese get wet and do OK.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf View Post
    you ain't gonna make it
    Wow LW, you've actually finally disappointed me with your negativity, but not discouraged me in the slightest and that's all that really matters. What makes you think that? Because I'm unexperienced and ask silly questions? Hmm I asked silly questions when I was 15 and scuba diving in the ocean, 16 and flying planes solo over my town, 18 and wondering around Australia and mountains of Hawaii, 20 surviving in Los Angeles, 22 being a police officer, and any other thing I've done with my life. It's what I do and you shouldn't prejudge anyone without knowing them. I'm more of a survivornthan you have any idea about and when I set my mind to something, it gets done. So remind me in Damascus and I'll wave and tell you you're number one.

Even in cold weather, down is too hot to hike in so just use your under layers and the rain jacket. You will be amazed how warm this will keep you while walking. Your body will also begin to adapt to the temperatures outdoors and your comfort level will be at alot lower temp than at home.
    As the others have stated, the down is very useful but 99.9% of the time it is for camp.
    Good luck and have fun!

geek

Wow LW, you've actually finally disappointed me with your negativity, but not discouraged me in the slightest and that's all that really matters. What makes you think that? Because I'm unexperienced and ask silly questions? Hmm I asked silly questions when I was 15 and scuba diving in the ocean, 16 and flying planes solo over my town, 18 and wondering around Australia and mountains of Hawaii, 20 surviving in Los Angeles, 22 being a police officer, and any other thing I've done with my life. It's what I do and you shouldn't prejudge anyone without knowing them. I'm more of a survivornthan you have any idea about and when I set my mind to something, it gets done. So remind me in Damascus and I'll wave and tell you you're number one.
    sorry guy. you just seem so unsure of yourself. hope to see you in damascus.

Images

Wow LW, you've actually finally disappointed me with your negativity, but not discouraged me in the slightest and that's all that really matters. What makes you think that? Because I'm unexperienced and ask silly questions?
    No, he just says that to everyone. Don't mind Wolfy, he's all bark.

Quote Originally Posted by VictoriaM View Post
    No, he just says that to everyone. Don't mind Wolfy, he's all bark.
    no honey, most don't make it. a thru-hike is a marathon.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

no honey, most don't make it. a thru-hike is a marathon.
    Yes indeed, a marathon, but hey, with all these great minds on WB getting us ready with boatloads of advice, all WB members are assured they will finish -

Won't they?

Hmmm?

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

sorry guy. you just seem so unsure of yourself. hope to see you in damascus.
    Nah, I'm very confident in my endurance. I'm into philosophy so being curious is my nature, not to be mistaken for a weakness. Sometimes, I let people perceive me that way because it's their mistake and only to my advantage.

Thumbs down

just when i thought LW couldnt lose any more respect, he went and raised the bar. well how about you stop beign a prick and just not say anything at all. i think victoria m has a superb point about LW having not bite. no bite at all.
    socrates, i wish you well on your thru and i hope you show LW that he once again has no idea what he is talking about.

sham on

All your previous experiences are admirable, but thru-hiking is different. Best of luck and fortitude...

Socrates, you'll be fine. Ask all the questions you want but remember that it's nobody's hike but yours. Make the most of it, and do whatever you have to do to keep it fun. Have a great hike.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Mc View Post
    just when i thought LW couldnt lose any more respect, he went and raised the bar. well how about you stop beign a prick and just not say anything at all.
    Oh man, no need to egg him on! Relax... you don't think Socrates is going to quit because LW think so, do you? If anything, I see his "advice" as a nudge to tough it out.

Images

It really is amazing how in this world of electronics some people lose all ability to remain polite and hopeful. Thru hiking is not a marathon, if it were thru hiking would be a competitive sport. Its your hike do it the way you most enjoy and have fun.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++