WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

university student who doesn't want to start work! AlbertaHiker23's Avatar

Question Sobo starting plans...suggestions?

I am planning a sobo solo hike for sometime in June. I will be flying in from Alberta and I am not sure about my plans for the first few days. Here's what I have so far, mostly according to the thru-hiker's companion.
    -Fly to Bangor,
    -Bus to Medway,
    -Taxi to Baxter State Park.
    -Hike up Abol Trail.

My biggest uncertainty is time. How much time should I schedule for all of this? I am thinking of giving myself few days just to get used to the time change and stuff. How many nights should I book at the katahdin Stream Campground? I would like to leave around June 1st.
    Any suggestions and/or alterations welcome.
    Thanks, Yves

Journal Entries
    Images

I haven't SOBO'd, nor do I know what other SOBO's have done. Having said that, I suggest at least 2 nights at Katahdin Strm CG, if it is possible. Up and down Katahdin is a very strenuous 10.4 miles. It will probably take you most of the day. If you do not stay at the CG, you have three other choices that I can see:

1. Catch a hitch back into Millinocket and then come back the next day.
    2. Hike to Daicey Pond CG (or to one of the other CGs) which also requires a reservation.
    3. Hike out of the park.

It is a very difficult climb to start off with and I wouldn't want to do more than I had to. Most NOBO's probably only do 10 mi or less on their first day (and it isn't Katahdin)...

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

Quote Originally Posted by AlbertaHiker23 View Post
    My biggest uncertainty is time. How much time should I schedule for all of this? I am thinking of giving myself few days just to get used to the time change and stuff. How many nights should I book at the katahdin Stream Campground? I would like to leave around June 1st.
    Welcome to WhiteBlaze, Yves!
    The bus from Bangor gets into Medway at 7:40 PM, and the new owners of the AT Lodge in Millinocket say the taxi went out of business. You'll probably want to arrange a shuttle and stay with them the day you get in.
    I always suggest MEGAs spend the night before and after their climb in a lean-to at Katahdin Stream. That way you can get an early start after a good night's sleep and have a dry campsite to return to. You don't want to have to hike another 9 miles out of the Park after your climb!
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ aka Teej View Post
    the new owners of the AT Lodge in Millinocket say the taxi went out of business. You'll probably want to arrange a shuttle and stay with them the day you get in.
    What would be the best to go about planning this shuttle? Does the At lodge have a pre-arranged shuttle service?

Nevermind, I found the answer to my own question on their website.

Quote Originally Posted by AlbertaHiker23 View Post
    Nevermind, I found the answer to my own question on their website.
    That's a southbounder for ya! Resourceful and self sufficient!
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

++ New Posts ++