WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Must see Pennsylvania

Is there anything in Pennsylvania that you would consider a "must see"? Bars, Blue Blazes, Cool Views, Monuments, and other neat stuff. Anything to avoid?
    I hope they show the part where they trade guns to the Indians for corn, and then the Indians shoot them and take the corn. - Bart Simpson

PA is filled with white-trash... I know I grew up in Phila. and lived in Harrisburg for four years... The burg is 15 minutes away from duncanon which is a hole.. Though there are some really nice parts of the mountains there.. and they only peak around 1200 feet..
    "LOVED OR HATED, BUT NEVER IGNORED"

Quote Originally Posted by SergeStorms View Post
    Is there anything in Pennsylvania that you would consider a "must see"? Bars, Blue Blazes, Cool Views, Monuments, and other neat stuff. Anything to avoid?
    For must sees, I'd say Hawk Rock above Duncannon, the Doyle Hotel in Duncannon & Hawk Mountain. Pole Steeple near Pine Grove Furnace is nice too. My favorite stretch in PA is from Yellow Springs to Rausch Gap, sometimes known as St. Anthony's Wilderness. No one particular sight in that stretch, just a beautiful wild area with a couple of ghost towns. As for things to avoid, the rocks from about 501 north are not a lot of fun.
    Early Bird 2007

The Doyle.

Images

The Pinnacle north on the trail from Port Clinton is my favorite view spot. Often catch hot air balloons up thru the valley, biplane from the air museum, and faces due east for a sunrise every morning.

Images

I uploaded 2 pics of the Pinnacle. See Views in PA gallery

Captain Fantastic's sidekick soad's Avatar
    Images

Skip the AT in eastern PA and head west to the Allegheny National Forest, spend a few weeks checking out the Baker Trail, Hearts Content, Cook Forest State Park, the Kinzua Dam, and the Clarion River.

After you see the real Pennsylvania, jump back on the AT in NJ and head north, you will have a better time.
    “Back in the day, when the emperor or the king or whatever waged war, they went to war, too. But that's been lost in time.” DM

Images

Default Thank you for your advice!

Quote Originally Posted by soad View Post
    Skip the AT in eastern PA and head west to the Allegheny National Forest, spend a few weeks checking out the Baker Trail, Hearts Content, Cook Forest State Park, the Kinzua Dam, and the Clarion River.

After you see the real Pennsylvania, jump back on the AT in NJ and head north, you will have a better time.
    I believe this site is for Appalachian Trail enthusiasts!

Those who follow the advice above will find that nothing magically changes once the I-80 bridge over the Delaware River is crossed other than the State's name and the A.T. maintaining organizations. We see this every year and I expect most, like myself, are are not amused by this bad information!

Images

Default Another view ...

Quote Originally Posted by skyhiker2 View Post
    PA is filled with white-trash... I know I grew up in Phila. and lived in Harrisburg for four years... The burg is 15 minutes away from duncanon which is a hole.. Though there are some really nice parts of the mountains there.. and they only peak around 1200 feet..
    Not sure where to start with this post, other than to say I'm sure Ed Rendell doesn't argree with your opinion about Harrisburg or Philadelphia. He likely doesn't think much of your characterization of the citizens of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, nor do I. It's also likely the residents of Duncannon have a different view of their home, than you do.

When I was young, many years ago, I was taught that if you can't say something complimentary, don't say anything at all. I can only conclude that others learned something different.

Thank you for your compliments about our mountains here which in my area average nearer 1500 feet where the A.T. runs. I must say I like them too!

Skyhiker's post reminds me of what an oldtimer in a Waynesboro, PA. bar told me on one hike:
    "Pennsy is Pittsburgh on the west, Philly on the East and Georgia in the middle".

The free showers at rt.501 and eckville.... the great burger at Port Clinton Inn.

Images

Default Can't say I've heard it put that way before!

Quote Originally Posted by prozac View Post
    Skyhiker's post reminds me of something an oldtimer in a Waynesboro, PA. bar told me on one hike: "Pennsy is Pittsburgh on the west, Philly on the East and Georgia in the middle".
    I have relatives in Georgia and I've enjoyed hiking there too.
    Last edited by emerald; 02-25-2007 at 15:53. Reason: Added quote box, since someone posted before me.

The Incredibler Edibler

Quote Originally Posted by skyhiker2 View Post
    PA is filled with white-trash... I know I grew up in Phila. and lived in Harrisburg for four years...
    As native white-trash I can recommend a number scenic points along the AT in PA, having hiked this section many times. Just a few highlights, from east to west, include: Delaware Water Gap/Mt. Minsi, Lookout Rock/Hahn's Lookout, The Knife Edge/Bear Rocks/Bake Oven Knob off 309, , Hawk Mountain Sanctuary (not on the AT), The Pinnacle/Pulpit Rock off 61, Round Head/Shower Steps/Kimmel Lookout/Fisher Lookout off 501, the entire Swatara Gap/Saint Anthony's Wilderness/Peter's Mountain section, Table Rock off 225, Hawk Rock off 274 and Chimney Rocks off 16.

Some sections are certainly rocky, especially along the eastern half of the trail in PA (They don't call it "Rocksylvania" for nothing). I personally consider rocks all part of the grand adventure of hiking and simply welcome the pleasant respite when I encounter wide, flat trail.

Quote Originally Posted by prozac View Post
    Skyhiker's post reminds me of what an oldtimer in a Waynesboro, PA. bar told me on one hike: "Pennsy is Pittsburgh on the west, Philly on the East and Georgia in the middle".
    That mighta' been my dear ole' Uncle-Pa! Iffin' he wasn't wearin' no shoes, do you remember iffin he have six toes on each foot? Sister-Ma surely will be relieved you seen him. P.S. We prefer to be called "Pennsyltucky" so as to offend two fine states for the price of one...
    A foon by any other name, is still a spork.

Captain Fantastic's sidekick soad's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shades of Gray View Post
    I believe this site is for Appalachian Trail enthusiasts!

Those who follow the advice above will find that nothing magically changes once the I-80 bridge over the Delaware River is crossed other than the State's name and the A.T. maintaining organizations. We see this every year and I expect most, like myself, are are not amused by this bad information!

Us here in the forgotten half of PA need to make our voices heard. The caviar eating elitist from the east need to recognize the legitimacy of West Pennsylvania, it's fine people and beautiful natural areas.
    “Back in the day, when the emperor or the king or whatever waged war, they went to war, too. But that's been lost in time.” DM

Images

Default Touché

Quote Originally Posted by soad View Post
    Us here in the forgotten half of PA need to make our voices heard. The caviar eating elitists from the east need to recognize the legitimacy of West Pennsylvania, it's fine people and beautiful natural areas.
    Okay, you can tell us about all the fine folks and great places you have out there. Just be prepared for those of us in the east to return fire when we're fired upon!
    Last edited by emerald; 02-25-2007 at 17:01.

Images

Default You tell 'em!

Quote Originally Posted by Spork View Post
    As native white-trash I can recommend a number scenic points along the AT in PA, having hiked this section many times.

Some sections are certainly rocky, especially along the eastern half of the trail in PA (They don't call it "Rocksylvania" for nothing). I personally consider rocks all part of the grand adventure of hiking and simply welcome the pleasant respite when I encounter wide, flat trail.
    Spork, that's the spirit! Seems some of these people from away just don't realize that those rocks are there for their protection -- to keep them focused on where they are putting their feet and thus keep them from treading on our rattlesnakes!

Living Room Wanderer

I always thought those rocks were there to make my ankles stronger.

Spork's list has everything I would mention from the AT itself, but I would add the AT north of Lehigh Gap, where the trees are mostly gone. It's fun to play up there.

Images

Default Correct!

Quote Originally Posted by Elf View Post
    That too, but you'll have as hard a time selling your claim as I will my claim about rocks protecting hikers from rattlesnakes bites, but, if we persist, we'll win them over in the end! I'm afraid it may take some time.

The Incredibler Edibler

Quote Originally Posted by Shades of Gray View Post
    Spork, that's the spirit! Seems some of these people from away just don't realize that those rocks are there for their protection -- to keep them focused on where they are putting their feet and thus keep them from treading on our rattlesnakes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Elf View Post

Spork's list has everything I would mention from the AT itself, but I would add the AT north of Lehigh Gap, where the trees are mostly gone. It's fun to play up there.
    Thanks. I take great pride in our rocks, especially since it's my job to sharpen them between Port Clinton and Eckville ! Every year those thru-hikers come through and dull all the nice sharp edges off my rocks. It's a thankless job but somebody's gotta do it...

By the ways SergeStorms, no visit to PA would be complete without visiting Pine Grove Furnace State Park, the official half-way point of the AT. You can even attempt the half-gallon ice cream challenge at the store even if you're not thru-hiking...although I wouldn't plan on much hiking afterwards...
    A foon by any other name, is still a spork.

Quote Originally Posted by SergeStorms View Post
    Nothing to avoid, but not much to see either. Still, it's a good hiking state, the miles pass quickly, and there's a good bar every 3 or 4 days. Oh, did I mention it's brutally hot and humid? Yeah, good bars!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++