WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Where should I put in?

Ok. I have 4 days to hike and I will be in Georgia. My wife will drop me the afternoon of Mar 30th (Fri) and I plan to come out on the afternoon of Apr 3rd (Tue). My wife will come back up to get me at the trail head, or wherever is the most convenient.
    Now I am looking for some advice as to where to begin my hike. Best to begin at Springer and go to a road crossing 4 days(ish) out or begin at the road crossings (which one) and move to Springer?
    I appreciate your help in planning this.

How many mile per day are you planning to hike?
    [COLOR="Blue"]Hokey Pokey [/COLOR]

I am hoping for a leisurely 8 up to 10 miles per day. I am guessing my first night will be a short hike and camp since I will begin in the afternoon. Assuming around a 28-30 mile hike. I have planned some leeway if I have to run long.

Images

Where you put in depends upon where you want to take out.

With the weather being unpredictable that early this early, I wouldn't fix your plans until you get a better picture what sort of weather you can expect. As a general comment, I would suggest keeping your daily mileage and expectations low. Better to exceed your expectations than fall short of them, especially if you have little experience with the Georgia A.T.

You could call your wife and tell her where to come get you if you carry a cell phone and can get a signal. That may not be something you could count upon either.

You will get specific suggestions in time, be patient. Best wishes for an enjoyable hike whether the weather be rain, sleet, snow or something else.
    Last edited by emerald; 02-22-2007 at 00:01.

How about Springer or FS 42 to Neels Gap?
    Roughly 8 miles / day. Road to road.

So it may be best to start at the Springer trailhead and move to a road crossing. Your comment about the weather makes good sense and I do not know the trails here.
    I plan to learn them well over the next few years.

Neels Gap is one I had looked at. Good location for a pick up?

Very good pick-up point.

Neel's Gap. Sounds great. Maybe I will see some of you out there.

If you have never done the approach trail, I would start at Amicalola SP. That would save your wife from some forest rd driving. Starting at ASP should put you around Neels Gap (Rt 19/129) on day 4 doing 10 mile days. That's about a 38 mile hike.

She would certainly appreciate not driving the forest roads. I'll just have to hump it.
    Thanks for the info.

Images

Lightbulb Amicalola Falls S.P. to Woody Gap

There will likely be heavy traffic NOBO, but you're apt to encounter that anywhere on the Georgia A.T. at the time of your proposed hike.

Expect to meet many hikers who think they will go all the way to Katahdin and some who actually will. You can also expect to meet other hikers who are already beginning to wonder what they have gotten themselves into.

Oh, did I mention you'll want to have a tent or other alternative shelter?

Don't skip AFSP. Neel's Gap is an interesting place where there will be much activity when you would arrive, but it might be a better idea to save it for another time. On the other hand, if your hike is progressing well and the weather is cooperative, Neel's Gap would be a fitting place to end your hike.
    Last edited by emerald; 02-22-2007 at 00:38. Reason: Added last paragraph.

You might be better served to start at Neels Gap and go south to Amicalola Falls State Park. That way you could stop on Springer if you need or go on to the Park if the body and time permits. It is a steep climb out of Neels Gap to the top of Blood Mtn. but the approach trail is easier hiked SOBO. Good Luck!!

Funny you should mention that. I was just looking at the maps. I will most likely get her to drop me earlier Friday to ensure I get some miles behind me. I may go SOBO. Not sure yet.

I may look at the Woody Gap suggestion as well. Good fall back.

Here you go, you should treat Sweetie to a night at the lodge at ASP before you start, that will set you up for dinner and breakfast there also. Then, the next time you ask to go hiking, she'll probably pack your bag for you. Of course, you could stay there at the end if you went southbound but you'd be too tired to do anything.

Just trying to be helpful

Images

If I had to choose between seeing Amicalola Falls State Park and Neel's Gap, the decision would be easy for me. I'd wait until my next hike to check out Neel's Gap.

Sunsets can be nice from Blood Mountain. If you are willing to hike off Blood Mountain with a headlamp and not see Neel's Gap in daylight, that might be an option. A short night-hike at the end would make it easier to add a few miles onto your hike. It would likely be cool after the sun goes down and you may not be comfortable with the idea of a night hike if you have never hiked at night.

If your wife is a hiker, maybe the 2 of you could meet on Blood Mountain and walk down together. That way she would have already seen the trail you will hike in the dark. Maybe not a great idea if you have a long drive home, but I mention it anyway. You will know better than me whether this idea has any merit.
    Last edited by emerald; 02-22-2007 at 01:10. Reason: Added last line.

Wife is WAY not a hiker/camper. She is dropping me and going with kids to see her family. We all win.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by KMaha View Post
    Wife is WAY not a hiker/camper. She is dropping me and going with kids to see her family. We all win.
    Skip sunset on Blood Mountain. Maybe Amicalola Falls with the family is a better idea.

Images

Make sure you have a back up plan to meet. A lot of cell phones do not work in that area so if you think you may not make a planned pick-up you should have plan B already agreed upon.
    The heaviest thing I carried was my attitude.
    Montani semper liberi - Mountaineers are always free

Desire is the main ingredient for success

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++