WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: how many weeks to allow for a complete thru-hike

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default how long should a thru-hike take

many have asked How long to allow for a complete thru hike so heres a chance to see what you all really think.

the number of weeks to allow for a thru hike....

Bloody Cactus MadAussieInLondon's Avatar

23 weeks! coz i need that week shy of 6 months to be able to fly in and out without breaking my 6month visa!
    -- [TrailName :: Bloody Cactus] --

As long, or short, as you need to fulfill your dream or accomplish the goal you have set out for yourself.
    Warren Doyle PhD
    34,000-miler (and counting)
    [email protected]
    www.warrendoyle.com

Journal Entries
    Images

Default how long?????????????

hey....wasnt that a song by the band: Ace, back in the late 60s?

i would choose 6 months to complete a Thru-hike...because i wanna experience it all! the people, the towns, the streams, shelters, & those spectacular views & take photos of everything!

but, for now all i do is dream about a thru....as i section hike 100+ miles per year....& on the 20 year plan to get to Katahdin!

when i retire (age 62..most likely) will probably do a thru @ that time!

see ya'll UP the trail in 2004!
    see ya'll UP the trail!

"Jaybird"

GA-ME...
    "on-the-20-year-plan"

www.trailjournals.com/Jaybird2013

Quote Originally Posted by warren doyle
    As long, or short, as you need to fulfill your dream or accomplish the goal you have set out for yourself.
    I totally agree.

Btw, 6 months is actually 26 weeks. 24 weeks is 5 1/2 months, etc...

How long should it take? I just want to go on the record and say that I agree with Warren 100% (surprise!!) on this one; couldn't have said it better myself.

I look forward to agreeing with him on something else one of these years.

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Default We Shall Serve No Wine Until Its Time ...

Bottom line, as many others have already said, is that a thru-hike should take as long as it takes. From a practical perspective though I think a hiker needs to take some factors like weather and expense into consideration. In order to make a thru hike as enjoyable as possible I now believe (in retrospect) that a hiker should attempt to avoid the weather extremes by departing Springer (assuming a NOBO hike) in mid March and an arrival at Katahdin by mid to late September.

Just my .02
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Default 5 1/2 months

I think it is well established that the typical thru-hike generally take between 5 1/2 and 6 months.

Hike your own hike, but as far as Mz R Bunny -1st and 2nd unplanned but ended up being 7 months to the day 3rd 5 and a half months-way too fast as far as my likes,SoBo next time with no planned end maybe i'll just keep on hiking the trail and be known as that crazy old woman that's still on the trail in my book better than winning the lottery.

I'll second that seven months to the day concept!

Default Once in a Blue Moon

Thanks Jack.
    I'm sure there are more trail-related topics we agree on than not. Our disagreements have been more public though.
    Keep your passion for the trail up - it has helped more people than hurt them and that alone is a worthy contribution.
    Happy trails!
    Warren Doyle PhD
    34,000-miler (and counting)
    [email protected]
    www.warrendoyle.com

Just Passin' Thru.... Kozmic Zian's Avatar
    Images

Yea.......Time. Time is relative(I think Einstein toyed with that one). I always figured a person to walk at their own pace, leaving from Springer to arrive at Katahdin in 5 or 6 months, depending on the many variables involved in such an undertaking, and should the Good Lord Be Willing, and the Mother Earth accepting. KZ@
    Kozmic Zian@ :cool: ' My father considered a walk in the woods as equivalent to churchgoing'. ALDOUS HUXLEY

Quote Originally Posted by Kozmic Zian
    Yea.......Time. Time is relative(I think Einstein toyed with that one). I always figured a person to walk at their own pace, leaving from Springer to arrive at Katahdin in 5 or 6 months, depending on the many variables involved in such an undertaking, and should the Good Lord Be Willing, and the Mother Earth accepting. KZ@
    The problem with everyone saying "5 or 6 months" is that a lot of people take longer than that. Newbies start thinking "Oh my gosh, I'm not going to make in to maine in 6 months. I am so slow. This is taking for ever. I won't make it..." See the logic there... Sure, they'll speed up - yadda yadda yadda, but it's the pyschological effects around month 2 or 3 that really matter...

I hate seeing "It'll take 5 to 6 months." It will take as long as it takes. Plan 7-8 months off from the world to do it if at all possible.

Gravity man

Journal Entries

A thru hike should take as long as needed to backpack "every mile" between Springer and Katahdin.

Weary

i think i usually do them in 5 months. (that's how long the weather usually holds) i don't want to try to extend a CDT northbound hike into late Oct or Nov. chances are i'd never make it as it gets snowed in. (although i've done a southbound AT hike starting in Oct, but with van support) But i voted for 24 weeks because i always need time to wind down afterward and really take my time getting home. I never want it to end but know it must because of the weather but prolong it by visiting friends on the way home.
    Of course you can start earlier but again, on the PCT and CDT that's not always possible because of the weather you are going to hit in the spring. The rockies get most of their snow in March and April. The AT can be done year round except for perhaps New England in the winter or very early spring.

I'd plan to complete it in 5 months. Granted I've never completed a thru-hike, but I would figure that's plenty of time to go at a nice steady pace and enjoy what's out there. Now, the trick is, finding 5 months of vacation time.

6 months

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

Another oldie, but goody thread.

There is no certain amount of time a thru should take. Different people have different goals for what a thru-hike will accomplish. For some, speed is important - making the miles is part of the experience for them. For some, smelling the roses along the way is important - making the miles doesn't matter to them.

A thru-hike needs to be what the person making the hike wants it to be - not what anyone else's idea of what a thru-hike is. IMO, that goes for:

* how long it takes

* how it is done (NOBO, SOBO, done in sections, white versus blue blazes)

* whether a pack is carried the whole way or not

* shelters were used or not used

HYOH - and bullocks to those who don't like it

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    6 months
    Interesting...

...I would only have expected "thru-hiking is dumb"

Journal Entries
    Images

When folks ask me the most importent aspects of having a successful thru-hike, my answer is; Have enough time and have enough money.
    Grampie-N->2001

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++