WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Walls of Jericho

Has anyone been to the Walls of Jericho along the TN / AL border? I'm going there next week w/ my son and would like have an idea about it prior to our departure. Any feedback would be appreciated.

I haven't been there but I have seen a show about it. The last I had heard I don't think that all the trails were finished. Don't base your trip on my info because it is sketchy. It looked like a great place to hike though.

Images

Nice hike back to the falls. Last yr when we went the trails were slick. One guy slid off the trail towards the water. A few places are very narrow esp if you have to pass someone. I have heard you can get to it now on the Tenn side. Last yr that section was completed.

here is a map http://www.briartech.com/walls.pdf
    Conquest: It is not the Mountain we conquer but Ourselves

Images

meant wasn't completed
    Conquest: It is not the Mountain we conquer but Ourselves

Images

Default Walls of Jericho

My wife and I went about 1 1/2 years ago when it first opened. Beautiful day hike or you can camp by the old cemetery. Once you get to the bottom, cross the creek and a grassy meadow area to the right. It is approx. 1/4 - 1/2 mile to the walls. There were several day groups but no over niters. I think that has changed as word has gotten out.

We also encountered horse rider groups that stopped and sat a while with us.

I understand that since our trip, a foot bridge has been built across the creek. It is a good place to get water.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Hiker View Post
    Has anyone been to the Walls of Jericho along the TN / AL border? I'm going there next week w/ my son and would like have an idea about it prior to our departure. Any feedback would be appreciated.
    TN_Hiker, I went with a day-hike group last year. Hiked in and out the same day, with plenty of time to have lunch and explore around the falls.

We hiked in from the Alabama trailhead. At the bottom (before starting up the side creek to the falls) there is a camping area. But it is to the "right" or "left" based on which side of the loop you take near the bottom, so be careful about that.

If you hike in from the Tennessee trailhead, you'll have to go past the falls, towards the Alabama trailhead, to get to the camping area.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

++ New Posts ++