WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Osprey Men's Atmos 65 Pack

any one have any experience with this pack or with the support system here. this is on uniqu pack with the mesh panel stretched over an aluminum frame. it is 4000 cui. about the right size. my 3500cui kelty is jsut a bit small for my packing list.

pt

ps- i checked the archives and saw lotsa talk on lotsa packs, but none on this paticular suspensions system.
    before washing your jeans shorts, pre-treat by throwing them away.

Images

I just picked mine up at REI in College Park, MD last night. It's no military type alice pack (I wouldn't throw it around ...) but the fit is awsome. I'm still field testing ... REI has a 20% discount thing going on right now so I was able to take it home for around $193 including taxes. I would have liked a higher volume ruck but that may just tempt me to carry more stuff than needed. I'll update U if I find some glaring gigs with the ruck. One more thing - so far I did 10 miles with around 25 lbs for starters and I barely felt it ... I did spend at least 3 hours at the store trying everything within my torso/waist size ... my opinion is go in get fitted and take it home for field testing. REI has the best return policy I've seen - just in case something does not feel right. They even will accept returns based on esthetics (color not right etc.)
    You can never appreciate the shade of a tree unless you sweat in the sun.-- Author Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by jettjames View Post
    any one have any experience with this pack or with the support system here. this is on uniqu pack with the mesh panel stretched over an aluminum frame. it is 4000 cui. about the right size. my 3500cui kelty is jsut a bit small for my packing list.
    I liked the way it felt on my back. The rest of it, not so much.

The mesh-frame construction is very comfortable, but I'd worry a bit about the durability.

The journey is the destination eventidecu's Avatar
    Images

Hey doggiebag please keep us informed. I'm interested in that pack very much. Let us know how it doe's.

T2 the Atmos 50 has a mesh back too and it's been out for awhile. I would guess if there were any issues with durability it would have come out by now but yea, it is kind of small for doing a long type hike with some load. The 65 may expose some issues being big enough to put a load in it. Let us know doggiebag how it works.

Images

Default Will do ...

Quote Originally Posted by eventidecu View Post
    Hey doggiebag please keep us informed. I'm interested in that pack very much. Let us know how it doe's.

T2 the Atmos 50 has a mesh back too and it's been out for awhile. I would guess if there were any issues with durability it would have come out by now but yea, it is kind of small for doing a long type hike with some load. The 65 may expose some issues being big enough to put a load in it. Let us know doggiebag how it works.
    I was really hoping for a larger ruck ... but my torso restricts me to a small/med frame ruck which really restricted the volume capacity of the rucks available to me. If I can stuff the IMHO minimalist gear that I'm planning on humping plus 7+ days of chow then I'll give this very light but fragile looking ruck a go. That mesh back support does look fragile. Maybe I'm sick but I just feel like throwing the damn thing around and being rough with it to see what it could take. I'll start full load testing this weekend.
    You can never appreciate the shade of a tree unless you sweat in the sun.-- Author Unknown

Images

I've got an Osprey Aether 75, which comes in a 60 or 70 now, and it's great, a little too much volume most of the time but great pack. I want something for an option a little smaller though on overnighters or weekend trips in summer.

Images

I own the Cresent 70 and love this pack. I replaced a Dana Alpine LTW with it and I really liked that Dana I put many miles on it and it held up well. But now that I own an Osprey I will never buy another brand.
    A Fact Of Life:

After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says;

W T F...............

KB3SYZ
    -.- -... ...-- ... -.-- --..

http://shakeyleggs.wordpress.com/

I am finally coming around to getting lighter weight gear and did pick up the Atmos 65 last month. Sure, it is not bombproof like my Dana T'plane, but I think it will do just fine for summer and early fall hikes. My only concern right now is if the top zipper on the backpanel (not the mesh) will holdup. I am assuming that the fabric will stretch a bit, but right now it is in my opinion way too tight for the zipper not to separate. Otherwise, I think the pack is pretty decent.

Images

I bought the 65 up a few months ago and am taking it on the PCT this year. I used to Atmos 50 on the AT in 05. I went with the 65 for more volume. The 65 has been holding up well and rides great (about 50 miles during my train up so far). All to be determined on how it handles after the many mile of hiking in the near future. The Atmos 50 held up O. K. but, over stuffing it with light weight gear caused the frame to separate. The mesh on the 50 did wear thin in places (above the belt). The belt pockets on the 65 are bigger (which is good for me). The 50's right pocket frayed after it was snagged by a bridge handrail somewhere on the trail. No problems with any of the zippers as of yet. I did cut out the separator inside of the 65, I found it restricted the way I pack (laying open it was dead weight). It is good IMO to have a pack just a bit larger then your lightest load so you can expand with items like fleece and such. You just have to remember not to overload it with "great ideas while at home". The 65 handles a bit more weight then the 50 as well (42 lbs vs 35 pounds I believe). For me this will come handy with the Bear Vault I plan to carry where required (the BV 400 fits sideways at the top). For an AT hiker as well as a PCT hiker this will comes in hand when both need to carry extra water. For the AT it was when the summer heat hit us as well as the Mid-Atlantic region (surface water was in horrible shape).

Remember this is my opinion and as always subject to interpretation. No sharp shooting please.

I hope this helps. WB

Evensidetu, I have the Ether 75 as well, a great pack for carrying a load. Mine will be ready if needed and mailed if necessary.
    Peace

Images

Wilderness Bob are you keeping an online journal and do you have one for your 05? Also I havent seen the 65 yet doe's it have a regular belt and straps? I hated the belt/straps on the Atmos 50, it scared me because it looks like it would rub to me with no padding. The mesh pocket on the belt is a great idea though.

Images

what kind of warranty does Osprey have on its packs? Of course if you get it from REI you can always take it back if it fails.
    keep up the post as i am deciding on whether to buy this pack or something else
    Conquest: It is not the Mountain we conquer but Ourselves

Images

Ewker, The warranty for the Osprey while on the trail was simple. I called the manufacturer, told them I was a thru-hiker and they asked me where I would be 100 miles up the trail (they sent me a new one, I sent back the old one). This was to replace the first Atmos because of the fraying of the back webbing. I noticed the frame issue on top of Mount Katahdin on the second pack (the day I finished my thru). I called them when I got home and they sent me a second one. No problems.

Boston, For me the strapping has always supported the load. In fact it is one of the best I have ever carried (and I have carried many different types and styles). Make sure you are measured properly for the right fit. A recommendation, put the pack on and bend over and connect the waste belt. Stand erect and let it settle on to your hips, adjust the shoulder straps, then the chest strap. This pack got to the point where it felt comfortable. You never get use to carrying a pack, you just get use to it so, comfort is important.

Eventidecu, Yes I have posted a trail journal under trailjournalscom (search Wilderness Bob. I also started a PCT one as well.

Good luck to all, WB
    Peace

thanks everyone for this great info. I've narrowed my choices down to 3

the atmos 65
    the aether 70
    the ULA catalyst

i'm leaning towards one of the Osprey's. my guess is it will end up being a coin flip. they both feel comfortable.

i'm SURE this agonizing is a part of all my pre-trail experience. I hope to leave next week before friday.

pt

Images

have you looked at the new Go-Lite packs. I got my Spring Summer catalog from them Saturady. They have some nice looking and heavier load packs now. This throws a wrench in my plans now. I want to see their packs before I buy

IMO, the 65 is one of the best packs out there. I have put over 200 miles on mine since November with no signs of breakdown. I overloaded (about 40 lbs) on the first trip because of weather and I would have liked a little more padding for my shoulders, but with a load of around 30+/- lbs. the pack has performed flawlessly. The space between the webbing and pack is more than enough for a full bladder and the mesh pockets on the hipbelt are a great addition. I have been praising this pack for months......
    "Just livin' man...L.I.V.I.N."

Quote Originally Posted by Boston View Post
    I have the atmos 50, and i like it. I haven't taken it on any wextended trips or really tested it yet.

I do think that 65l of volume is too much weight and stuff for the thin suspension frame thingy.

Boston.....You haven't tested it yet or hiked with the 50???? Then how can you even have an opinion about another pack that you don't have? Are you really qualified to give advice on the "thin suspension frame thingy?"
    "Just livin' man...L.I.V.I.N."

ok i bit the bullet and just went and tried on 3 packs at REI. The Aether 70, the Atmos 65 and the REI brand Ridgeline ( they're new one this year) all were loaded with 30lbs and all felt good, but the Aether felt the best. Ridgleline 2d best.

I picked the Aether 70. now to load it up!

pt

Images

I'll second the ridgeline. I liked its fit better than the Atmos, although there is a slight weight cost. I took it out for an overnighter and realy liked the way it carried. I just wished it did not have the bottom zipper, I prefer a plain top loader. But it will definately be my goto pack over my Aether 70.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jettjames View Post
    ok i bit the bullet and just went and tried on 3 packs at REI. The Aether 70, the Atmos 65 and the REI brand Ridgeline ( they're new one this year) all were loaded with 30lbs and all felt good, but the Aether felt the best. Ridgleline 2d best.

I picked the Aether 70. now to load it up!

pt
    hmmmm, only 30 lbs??? That is a negative then. I am looking more for a pack with at least 35-40 lbs carrying capacity.

I own a Atmos 50 and have 35+ days with it on the trail. It is the best!!! Although I also think that the supention would be questionable with the 65 though. The 50 tops out at about 30 lbs and with the added 15 liters of the 65 I think that that you would realy be pushing it. Now if they beefed it up some it could be a wicked pack at the 65 l. size. Peace. J.J.B.
    Be who you are and say what you feel. Those who mind don’t matter, and those that matter don’t mind. - Dr. Seuss<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++