WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default What should I bring extra?

I'm doing a quick overnight to Guyot campsite next wednesday and given the probability of running into a thru-hiker or two, I was wondering what would be a good item to bring for some trail magic? I was thinking of bringing some extra fruit or other food stuff to share. Any thoughts.

Adventure Trekker/Science Geek
    Images

Talking Trail Majic

Things that thru-hikers would appriciate most would be fresh. Carbohydrates are primary to pack food so some veggies fresh fruit or fat in any form would be appriciated. Cheese would go over really well. Pizza and ice cream are nearly a universal graving. Let that guide you.

You are too kind. I am certain the hikers will be sure to let you know that as well. Don't let them fool you. The contribution you make is valued far more than they could possibly let on.

Booze, pot, and cigarettes. The majority of todays thru-hikers relish these most. I ain't jokin either.

Images

Is it true that the shelters are typically occupied by thru-hikers that are smoking pot?
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." Abraham Lincoln

"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea; but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." Abraham Lincoln

Images

Default trail magic/parties

To answer your question, no shelters are usually not filled with pot smoking thru-hikers. There are a handful out there who smoke but i only witnessed it once at a shelter and that was 3 section hikers. Its tough to get the munchees and look into the little food left in your food bag. But really i guess i was ahead of the party crowd so i didnt have any issues.

Any type of foods would be appreciated. I just did Trail magic today at Mohican Center in NJ. Met 2 SOBOs who devoured a box of donuts and fruit i gave them, plus mt dew. You'll make some pathetic thru-hiker very happy trust me.
    A-Train

illininagel, there may not be a lot of dope smokin in shelters but there is a lot of cigarette smoking. It's amazing the amount of smokers hiking the trail.

Images

Lone wolf1, that is amazing. You wouldn't think that thru-hiking and smoking would go together. The more I read and hear, the more I think I'll opt for tenting most nights...
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." Abraham Lincoln

"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea; but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." Abraham Lincoln

Yeah I never use shelters anymore. Even in the Smokys and SNP. Shelters just plain suck.

Images

Lone wolf1,

"Shelters just plain suck."----that's what I'm beginning to gather. What's the primary reason for so many people using them? Weather, company, ease of use?

This weekend at the Birches the kids and I will stop by with cold sodas, fruit, firewood, hotdogs, rolls and such. On the way out of the Park, we'll offer a couple rides to Millinocket. Not all 'magic' is food, offer to relay a message, to pack out trash, to take a photo for them..
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

"Weather, company, ease of use" is about right, illini. I like shelters, to visit and chat at. But I usually tent anyways for privacy, quiet, and to avoid mice.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Krispy Kreme's

++ New Posts ++