WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Good stove for a big eater...

Okay, I'm gathering my equipment for the hike and next on my list is a stove. Apparently, there are as many types of stoves as there are...well...theres a lot of types of stoves.
    Now, I'm probably going to go used because stoves are apparently made out of platinum and diamonds.
    My question to the experts on the board is...what should I get? I have pretty much decided against alcohol and wood just because I'm not handy enough to cut up a beer or tomato juice can and, with wood, there's just too much prep.
    This leaves me with white or multi fuel and canister as the two obvious choices.
    So what's better? I'm leaning towards white fuel because of easy resupply (if needed...I'm only hiking nine days) and from what I hear, the burn hotter for easier cooking. Am I way off track here?
    Also, what stove would you recommend so I can start perusing the ebay ads...
    Thanks for your help.

If you're only out for nine days, a big cannister will last that long.

But really, it doesn't really matter whether or not you get a white gas or a cannister stove, as long as you get a good one. For the former, check out MSR (like the Whisperlite) ; for the later, look at MSR (Pocket Rocket) and Snow Peak (Giga).

MSR Pocket Rocket cannister stove. You can simmer or go full blast. I eat big too. I carry two pots. I make sauses for my pasta.

NOBO toBennington, VT plus 187 mi in MH & ME
    Images

There is anarticle titled "about stoves" the describes the various types along with their advantages and disadvantages. I still haven't masterd cut and paste here, but go to White Blaze from top links. It's about third item dowm from top.

the extremes are the ultra light guys with freezer bag cooking on one end and the clydedales with a full kitchen in their 50+ pound pack.

No one can tell you which stove is right for you. (Although many will tell you their stove is right for you). You gotta sort through it and make your decisions.

Miles of Smiles

Images

Thumbs up

I used my Pocket Rocket to cook at home when the power went out. I used about a 2 gallon spaghetti pot and it cooked it well. Stability was a little iffy, but it boiled it quickly!

As Teblum said, it's still a very personal decision. Sort of like the boxers or briefs question...

Images

Also, if the only thing keeping you from condisering alcohol is that you don't want to make one, you can purchase one already made. Their price generally reflects the fact that they aren't made of platinum and diamonds. For example:

http://www.antigravitygear.com/store...products_id=55

or

http://www.minibulldesign.com/fs2.htm

I'm sure there are others.

Lyle

Images

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf View Post
    MSR Pocket Rocket cannister stove. You can simmer or go full blast. I eat big too. I carry two pots. I make sauses for my pasta.

What kind of sauces???
    "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm."
    -Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/scorpiorising80/

Can u use any fuel with the snow peak giga?

The journey is the destination eventidecu's Avatar
    Images

I have the Giga as well and love it. You can use any type of canister, any size, it doesn't have to be "snow peak" brand. Smaller and more compact, it and canister fits down in your pot for packing. Forget the "auto igniter" one, save 10.00 bucks and just put a small lighter in the box it stores in, smaller than a pack of cigs, and go with it. You can go full blast or simmer.

jetboil cooking system. fast boil and large pot. I love it.
    Semper Fi and 73's,

G. L. Cooper
    K0OPG (Amateur Extra)
    Mountains of WV

Journal Entries
    Images

Stratus Trail stove. You can use wood in it or alcochol. Its great and has works terrific. In my humble opinion. I also have a MSR Whisperlite. I prefer the Stratus cuz I don't have to carry any fuel. Glory! Light!
    -SunnyWalker

Default Stove Recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by Orange_Crush View Post
    My question to the experts on the board is...what should I get? I have pretty much decided against alcohol and wood just because I'm not handy enough to cut up a beer or tomato juice can and, with wood, there's just too much prep.
    You don't have to make your own alcohol stove. If that's all that is stopping you they are very inexpensive at www.antigravitygear.com and I saw demo's today of their stoves at Amicalola State Park. Many, many folks picking them up for use. I do think they require more skill to use but are the lowest cost stove both in terms of initial purchase and long term fuel cost.

If you just want the easiest to use stove and are willing to pay more, in my opinion it is the Snow Peak Giga with electronic ignition. Screw the canister on, barely crack the gas on and push a button to light it. Boils a cup of water in 20 degree weather in less than 2 minutes. You can do that lots and lots of times on a single canister. A guy tenting near me last night had an MSR canister stove with MSR fuel and it froze up on him both last night and this morning with temps in the teens.

Journal Entries
    Images

No, the lowest price stove is the Stratus Trailstove.

-SunnyWalker

Quote Originally Posted by SunnyWalker View Post
    No, the lowest price stove is the Stratus Trailstove.
    It's $20. Certainly not the lowest price but perhaps the most economical over time.

http://www.trailstove.com/

But this is the best "I didn't build it myself" alcohol stove setup
    http://www.clikstand.com/products.htm

This might give you some ideas http://mysite.verizon.net/restoq6v/id1.html , in your case, note the cozy in the background and consider freezer bag cooking.

Unfortunately I like to eat, and freezer bag cooking is the best way I've found to eats lots of varied grub. Something to consider.

Journal Entries
    Images

Yeah, one question though on the Stratus Trailstove. Can one use this when there is a fire ban on? Does that refer only to "open" fires. And so would use of the Stratus constitute a violation of that ban?
    -SunnyWalker

Pocket rocket is a nice stove, made of white gold instead of platinum. Very small diamonds, spread out... I like mine alot, came with a Ti kettle for like $69 I think...

cheap pepsi can stoves are the best. They are light wieght and boil water fast enough. minibulldesigns.com makes quality lasting stoves. antigravitygear.com has some great pots with cozy's.

The pots and cozy from antigravitygear.com is great becuase you can boil some water, add your ingredients to the pot, cover it with the cozy and do camp stuff for 15 minutes. Heck, with the thier pot and cozy you could do camp stuff, go for water, or a small hike, and come back to a scorching hot dinner.

The thing about alcohol stove is the simplicity of it all. You never have to worry about a malfunction in anyway. It no longer becomes a piece of machinery that deserves your respect. No pumping, no compressed fuel bottles.

My Optimus Nova stove became an artifact 2 years ago.

Nothing beats the simplicity of a lightweight alcohol stove, and it requires even less know-how and fidgeting than a white gas stove made in China.

Coldest temps I have used this kind of stove is at 34 degrees with no problems. Wind was never a problem.

Don't be afraid to try one.

Images

Default Don't be afraid of alcohol!!

I agree with Tacoda. I'm new to the UL way of hiking, especially in relation to stoves and cooking, but alcohol seems to be the best solution for my cooking needs. I've tried to make the Heineken stove, Pepsi stove, Guiness stove, etc, etc.....but thanks to Jim Woods for his instructions for the SuperCat. I've found a winner!

Journal Entries
    Images

How about the Esbitt stove and tabs?
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++