WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Unhappy Is the Big Blue Trail well marked?

Still trying to figure out where to do a 10-14 warm up this Sep. Is the Big Blue Trail well marked? Maps and books available? I am thinking of a trail not on the AT so I don't repeat it. How about blue blazing in the SNP in VA? Resupply is a concern.
    "you ain't settin your sights to high son, but if you want to follow in my tracks I'll help ya up the trail some."

Rooster Cogburn.

Visit the web site for the Potamic Appalacian Trail Club (PATC). You can obtain maps and guide books through the club. For the SNP, do a google search for "Henry Heatwole". He has an online guidebook to SNP that provides details of a great many side trails.

Thank you I looked both of them up and they are very helpful. Henry has a wonderful sense of humor.
    "you ain't settin your sights to high son, but if you want to follow in my tracks I'll help ya up the trail some."

Rooster Cogburn.

Default Now the Tuscarora Trail

The Big Blue Trail has been merged with the Tuscarora Trail and now the entire route is called the Tuscarora Trail. I don't know how well maintained it is, I know it was quite bad in the mid nineties. There is a guide book for it, but I don't know how recent it came out. Hope this helps.

Section Hiker 180 AT miles

SNP has some of the best marked trails and easiest acess to resuply areas and roads to get you to resuply points as ive found anywhere. the trails are beautiful and are a good aproximation of the AT itself.
    "Do what you Love, Love what you do"

I hiked the Tuscarora last year and for the most part it is well marked. I strongly recommend obtaining the maps and other info regarding the trail from the PATC.

The Tuscarora trail would be a great warmup for the AT. Resupply is available at various locations and if you are interested I can provide that info to you.

Good luck.

Originally posted by EarlyRiser

SNP has some of the best marked trails and easiest acess to resuply areas and roads to get you to resuply points as ive found anywhere. the trails are beautiful and are a good aproximation of the AT itself.
    Agree: "SNP has some of the best marked trails and easiest acess to resuply areas and roads to get you to resuply points as ive found anywhere. the trails are beautiful..."

Disagree:"... and are a good aproximation of the AT itself."

SNP was my least favorite spot on my thru. Way too crowded, too many rules, and too many road crossings. Also more ticks on this short stretch of trail than on the rest of the trail combined. Nice milkshakes though.

Web Breaker I would be interested in those resupply spots. Thank you.

Rooster Cogburn.

Section Hiker 180 AT miles

I believe i was wrong in my suposition that the AT in the SNP is a good aproximation of the rest of the trail, it was a baseless assumption, i do not have enough experiance in other parts of the trail to make an accurate comparison, and i will agree with the crowd in the AT corridor, however the blue blaze trails within the park are largly unused and if the route is chosen carfully will not cross roads often if at all.
    I can also testify to the tick problem, particularly this year, i myself recently spent two weeks in the park and pulled 48 ticks off of my body by the end. i sertainly want to stress that everyone, whenever hiking in the backcountry be vigilent for ticks on their person.
    thank you max for pointing out that i was incorrect.
    "Do what you Love, Love what you do"

Squirrel Bait,

Here are some possible resupply points and opportunities for meals on the Tuscarora Trail from North to South.

l. Colonel Denning State Park, .7 mile North on PA 233. Good place to camp. Supposed to have a food concession(seasonal). Concession was closed in late April when I hiked.
    2. Village of Spring Run, .8 Mile North on PA 641 at junction with PA 75. Good grocery store and restaurant. Hot road walk.
    3. Cowans Gap State Park has a seasonal food concession. Park was closed when I went through for rework on the dam. Should be open now.
    4. There is a restaurant on US 30 at the trail crossing. I had planned for a breakfast there, but they didn't open until 1100 hours.
    5. Hancock, MD. Full service facilities with Post Office.
    6. Siler, VA., country store at junction of VA 600 and VA 690. On trail, friendly folks.
    7. Gore, VA. Grocery store at junction of VA 751 and VA 853, on trail. A Post Office is adjacent to the trail on Route 50, just before Gore.
    8. Maurertown, VA. Handy Mart, at US11 and VA 653. About 1.2 miles north of trail.
    9. River Rental Outfitters, at Indian Hollow Bridge, VA 613. Sells snacks and some hot food. On trail.

I recommend you obtain the appropriate maps from the PATC plus the two Tuscarora Trail booklets(Guide to North and South Tuscarora Trail). The maps are Tuscarora Trail, Map J, K, L, and Map F( Trails in Great North Mountain) and Map G( Trails in the Massanutten Mountain--North Half).

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need any other info.

P.S. If you are interested in hiking the Great North Mountain Loop Trail or the Massanutten Loop Trail let me know. I've done both of them and they are also good warmups.

Web Breaker

Web Breaker, thank you. I am looking at the PATC site today, not while workin...., sorry about that, hope I will find all I need, I believe I have my choices narrowed to this or the SNP. You and HOI have been a big help. Maybe I'll just blue blaze the SNP but the Big Blue doesn't sound crowded?? Thanks ya all.

Rooster Cogburn.

++ New Posts ++