WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Grayson Highlands Memorial Day-after trail days.

Thinking about a venture crew backpacking trip to Grayson Highlands on memorial day. Part of hike would be on AT (camping near Wise and Old Ochard shelters).

Trail Days in Damascus is weekend before this. (~40 trail miles away). How crowded do you think Grayson Highlands will be on Memorial Day??

Also anybody recall weather problems end of May in this area. I know snow can be seen through April.

thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by booney_1 View Post
    Thinking about a venture crew backpacking trip to Grayson Highlands on memorial day. Part of hike would be on AT (camping near Wise and Old Ochard shelters).

Trail Days in Damascus is weekend before this. (~40 trail miles away). How crowded do you think Grayson Highlands will be on Memorial Day??

Also anybody recall weather problems end of May in this area. I know snow can be seen through April.

thanks...
    it will be pretty crowded.

Quote Originally Posted by booney_1 View Post

thanks...
    I was there in 05 on Memorial weekend. Lots of day hikers.
    a.k.a CHOP-CHOP

Been there on Memorial Day. You'll get more solitude back in Greensboro.

Wolf's dead right. ANY day is a good day to be in Grayson Highlands State Park.

That being said, tho, Memorial Day Weekend is probably around the LAST time I'd wanna be there.

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

If you camp far away from shelters and the most popular spots near the AT you could get some solitude. But those places will be crowded during MD w/e unless the weather sucks.No guarantees, but you probably won't see snow that late in May. You could definitely experience miserably cold rain, though, so pack accordingly.

The open ground at Graysons Highlands encourages off trail hiking and camping more than most areas. You can hike quite a way off the AT and not get away from the crowd. Hike just pass Elk Garden (southbound) and the crowds thin immediately.

++ New Posts ++