WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default lightweight down layer...MARMOT?

A sales assoc. at a REI told me that mormot makes a lightweight down jacket. I know i've seen this thing. Can't find it on Marmot's website. She said marmot was calling it a "down sweater" or something...ringing any bells? Anyone pickin up what i'm puttin down? Super lightweight down layer suggestions?
    Focus Determines Reality

Default Another great down jacket

Western Mountaineering's Flight jacket is amazing! 10 oz for a full jacket.

http://www.westernmountaineering.com/garments.htm

I'd have to second the Western Mountaineering Flight Jacket at 10oz. However, I think Marmot does make something similar, but don't have any help in finding it.

Western Mountaineering will eventually (2004?) be releasing a 5oz down sweater, too. It surely won't have the warmth of the Flight, but it'll be warmer and lighter than any fleece.

Don thanks for the link, that's it! Exactly what I was looking for! Thanks too to kank & gravityman, that Flight Jacket is awesome too! I love this site!
    Focus Determines Reality

Springer-->Stony Brook Road VT MedicineMan's Avatar
    Images

I can vote for the Flight by WM, I use it as camp wear and then put in in the 'taco' under my hammock for insulation...mine is XL so it weighs more than 10oz. though, closer to 12...
    Start out slow, then slow down.

Images

The Western Mountaineering Flight Jacket is the best thing since sliced bread. Doesn't look too bad as "civilian" wear either....
    Long-distance aspirations with short-distance feet.... :jump

Images

yeah when you think about it fleece is heavy and drastically more so when wet..only thing heavier i can think of is wet wool...and there is something intrinsically good about putting on something so light that warms so quickly....with the Flight i have stuck the sleeve under the faucet of running water to show people how tight the weave is..the h2o just beads off! and its not even advertised as anything close to water resistant....if you want you can ball it up to the size of a small orange or large lemon so there is no excuse for not having something warm and toasty even on a day hike....plus WM is an American business...something tells me Marmot now seeds out its sewing to Taiwan or HongKong but maybe i'm wrong.

That WM Flight Jacket looks reeeeel good but that $200 price tag ... OUCH!

Images

I didnt pay anywhere near 200$ The local outfitter in Johnson City had them for 140...still pricey but the warmth per dollar per gram cannot be beat by anyone else at this time...to me it is another insurance policy that it hard to turn down.

GA-ME 3/5/02 -8/14/02
    Images

The Moonstone Cirrus is like 10 ounces and kept us warm as toast..it's like the Patagonia puffball..we found ours on the web for $45 bucks on clearance, not sure if they're still making them, but if you can find one, there were several on the trail in 2002 and I was never cold once I had mine on. Good luck!
    "It's a dangerous business, going out your door...if you don't keep your feet, there's no telling where you might be swept off to."-The Hobbit

++ New Posts ++