WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Just Beginning...

Default Thru-Hike Dreamin'

This is for everyone out there dreaming of doing a thru-hike. (All those who have completed a thru-hike may please encourage all of us who truly dream of the trip).

Is there anyone else that can't help but dream of doing a thru-hike but it's just not feasible for you? I read the journals, stories, threads of everyone who has done it and am so envious - jealous even. I basically have to live off of their experiences until one day (maybe), I get my own. Day hikes and short sections are all I can do now. Maybe one day (when I am retired - T minus 32 years...lol) I can complete my dream. Hopefully the trail is still as amazing as it is now.

Images

I dream of thru-hiking but unless I win the lottery, I'll be 70 before I'll be able to go. Till then, I'm hiking in sections, 4-6 weeks each summer. Even after I finish it in sections, I know I'll still want to thru hike it. Hiking in sections just ain't the same
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

Thanks for all the fine people that I have met

Default Dreamin

For many people dreamin is as close as they get to the AT which is alright. Planning a through hike is a great way to spend time. Some of the most knowledgible hikers that i,ve met, have spent a decade or more researching their hike.

Working on Forestry Grad schol

If you want to hike the AT there is nothing stopping you from doing it. The only question is if the price is worth it or not for you?

scale down your dream. an hour on the trail is a thru hike.
    matthewski

scale down your dream. an hour on the trail is a thru hike.keep saving for the big one, but do some daytrips.
    matthewski

check my get togethers thread. were hiking tommorow.
    matthewski

It's a small desire. When you REALLY WANT IT you'll do it. Until then, keep dreaming.

Images

Default Why not knock out PA?

KTA at one time had a Pennsylvania award for those who hike the entire A.T. in Pennsylvania, may still. It wouldn't be a 2000 Miler certificate to hang on your wall, but it could occupy that space until you get one to replace it. That's something that might be a reasonable goal for you work on now. Later you can skip PA if you want to, or do it all over again. Really good rocks are even better the second time.

As a sectioner, with a vehicle at your disposal, I assume, you'll be in a better position to enjoy all the wonderful historical sites to visit in PA. What are you waiting for, an invitation? Well, you're invited. Have at it!

Images

Planning a thru-hike is somewhat similar to planning for a baby. You are never financially or physically prepared until it happens. Then afterwards you realize it was the best thing in life. Sometimes in life you have to take a risk to fulfill your dreams.

++ New Posts ++