WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Weather

Formerly CoralRives
    Images

Question Weather

Where is the best site to look up weather for the next 30 days for the Southern part of the AT? And if you answer weather.com or accuweather.com, tell me how to pull up the area I need, like zip codes or the like.
    Can anyone tell, I'm getting close to starting...???
    "Be good and you will be lonesome" M. Twain

There is a road, no simple highway,
    Between the dawn and the dark of night,
    And if you go no one may follow,
    That path is for your steps alone

I don't know about a 30 day forecast and probably wouldn't believe it if I saw one. Here's AOL's weather.com

Just add a zip (found in Companion) in the top right and click for a 7 day forecast.

http://weather.aol.com/

Forget the &%^#@ weather report. Seriously. Expect extreme temperatures, anywhere from 10F at night to 70F during the day. Expect sun, cold rain, sleet, and snow. I had pretty much all of the above, in my first week northbound... starting on April 4.

Boat Drinks-"Where is the best site to look up weather for the next 30 days for the Southern part of the AT?"
    After working for a major weather observatory for 4 winters I wouldn't believe any forecast. In 1998 when I left Springer the forecast every day for almost 4 weeks was for good weather and it rained for 23 of those days. One day the announcer on a local station who was reading the weather said the forecast was for sunny skies but noted it was pouring outside his window as he read the forecast!

Just take a small FM radio to get the daily forecast and hope for the best. Believe me, it is all a crap shoot.

Donating Member
    Images

I second all of that. Wake up, walk outside, look at the sky. Better than any forecast you'll get.
    "You will find something more in woods than in books. Trees and stones will teach you that which you can never learn from masters."
    ~Saint Bernard (1090 - 1153)

Formerly CoralRives
    Images

Yeah yeah, It's just getting close fellas, trying to occupy my mind.... Y'all remember what it was like a couple days before your hike!

Images

Default Pick a day, any day, and start!

Be prepared for the worst you can reasonably expect and have at it! If you don't freeze to death and keep walking, you'll do just fine. The odds of the weather being warmer as summer nears increases while the number of days to hike diminishes, but what good is that knowledge really?

You may want to put a calendar of the 1st 3 weeks of Spring on your wall, close your eyes and throw a dart to pick your day.
    Last edited by emerald; 03-09-2007 at 19:45.

Images

Default noaa

Google NOAA. Punch in a City, St. If you scroll down alittle you will get a map with other town names. Click on a town name moving NE. That should keep you busy for a while. If you have a problem with my description, repost or pm and I'll try to be more coherent. Also fun to search for webcams, smog data, USGS real time water and ground water. Try not to get too antsy!

Default hey johnny!

ever hear of space weather . com? its sumpin i heard on coast to coast. its like... if a asteroid is gonna kill us we could watch it live. or say a fleet of ailens are a commin. or if you wanna watch celestial events live and clear. i never went there yet but im gonna. did i mention i miss you you big fun guy you? i do. heres how i allways got wheather before i had a computor. find the area code and call a random number and tell the person the truth. that your calling at random to try to find out the weather in the area. 9 billion times out of 9 billion and one times the person is cool and wants to talk. its not only a stupid matthewski way of doing crap ass backwards, its also nuts! member the stargate episode where the asgard needed dumb earthlings to come up with an unconventional solution to their problem? cause they were to smart? well,.. im like that. the dumb human who eventualy will be called to help when folks are to helplessly smart to help themselves.
    matthewski

Images

Here is a link to the Climate Prediction Center:http://www.nws.noaa.gov/predictions.php I'd be reluctant to put too much stock in it, but it can help you out with trends in temperature and precipitation. Take care, and keep in touch.
    That's my dog, Echo. He's a fine young dog.

usually confused but never lost Fannypack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Boat Drinks View Post
    Yeah yeah, It's just getting close fellas, trying to occupy my mind.... Y'all remember what it was like a couple days before your hike!
    Yep, go for a walk in the neighborhood....

Images

I usually check weather.com and for lack of a better city, or should I say a city at a higher elevation, I enter Erwin,TN. I think that gives a pretty good representation of weather in the southern appalachians. Have a good hike and expect lots of rain. Don't forget to wear your gator cap. See you around Franklin.

usually confused but never lost Fannypack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fannypack View Post
    Yep, go for a walk in the neighborhood....
    during your walks u will be able to do allot of thinking (hopefully not mindracing), things will slow down & u will feel mentally & physically refreshed when u return home.....
    and
    prolly the best thing about your walks will be that u are NOT on the 'puter....

Good luck, see ya in VA

Images

here is a nice site where you can see the weather at the shelters and towns

http://www.sophiaknows.com/atdb/weather.php
    Conquest: It is not the Mountain we conquer but Ourselves

Mweinstone! I drank a couple extra beers after work tonight.Could you please explain in more detail what ya mean? Thanks . Phil

Formerly CoralRives
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Blazer View Post
    I usually check weather.com and for lack of a better city, or should I say a city at a higher elevation, I enter Erwin,TN. I think that gives a pretty good representation of weather in the southern appalachians. Have a good hike and expect lots of rain. Don't forget to wear your gator cap . See you around Franklin.
    I'm Tarheel Born and Tarheel bred and when I die I'll be Tarheel dead.........

Images

Try Weather Underground - http://www.wunderground.com/ Type in a Zip and you'll get the next week's forecast. The site also provides links to NOAH Weather Radio - for example if you type in Franklin, NC as well as seeing the forecast you can also listen to NOAH weather radio for Northern Georgia and south-western NC. It's particularly useful for forecasting expected low and high temperatures but make sure you get the elevation for each place forecast. A rule of thumb is to subtract 3 degrees F for every 1000ft of altitude - so if its expected to be 30 degrees in Gatlinburg its probably more like 15 degrees at Clingman's Dome.

Images

www.intellicast.com

http://averyweather.com

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/

also, google Chattahoochee National Forest, call the park desk too

go to WWW.refdesk.com scroll down the right sidea little ways to the weather:you should be able get to were you want, enjoy your hike.greg

Images

Dahlonega, Blairsville, Helen, Hiawassee, and Clayton roughly parallel the AT in Georgia. Franklin, NC would be the next town north.
    A bad day on the trail beats a good day most anywhere else.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++