WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default I'm finally taking the plunge...

SGT Rock is on cloud nine. He's getting his wish. I finally agreed to go hiking this weekend with him and the boys on my first overnighter. I'm even gonna sleep in a hammock.

Guess I can't call myself a non-hiker anymore after this huh? LOL

Section Hiker, 1,040 + miles, donating member peter_pan's Avatar
    Images

HoooHAh....

Dixicritter,

Make sure that Rock puts the No Sniveller on your hammock.

Enjoy the hanging.

Pan
    ounces to grams
    WWW.JACKSRBETTER.COM home of the Nest and No Sniveler underquilts and Bear Mtn Bridge Hammock

Great! At the very least it will give you a greater understanding of our hobby. It could be the beginning of your addiction. Have fun!

Check your pack for rocks, Dixi!
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Journal Entries
    Images

See what being seperated for a period of time from one another does. It makes the each of you realize that you each need to give in a little. So you might just be hooked after this weekend Dixie. So then we can call you Swing Dixie. LOL
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

::: Female dino doing cartwheels about Dixie hiking :::
    You can do it. I know you can. You'll be the cutest bear burrito in the woods. Let me know where they took you when you get back. And remember, if it gets hard, just rest a few minutes. It isn't a race - it is a journey.

BTW, we drove by you house the other day. We were trying to find a trailhead in Top of the World and ended up in Butterfly Gap..... when I finally figured out where we were, we headed for Laurel River Road and hiked a trail off it.

Images

Enjoy yourselves!
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Images

It's a slippery slope. Have fun.

Images

She is going to get the cadilac treatment for this one. She is getting the big hammock, no-sniveler underquilt, campfire built by the boys, etc. etc. I even offered to carry everything for her all she has to do is just walk. She at least said no to that one.

And you guys thought I was an ultralighter
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    She is going to get the cadilac treatment for this one. She is getting the big hammock, no-sniveler underquilt, campfire built by the boys, etc. etc. I even offered to carry everything for her all she has to do is just walk. She at least said no to that one.

And you guys thought I was an ultralighter
    Well, someone has to carry the whiskey, might as well be her. Keep her in the front.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

And don't think I'm dissing your load carrying capacity Dixi. I've heard a story or two about that Sgt. Rock and I suspect he'll be handing you a cask.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

We'll be heading out soon. I plan on going and just having a great time with my guys! I know they are all excited, Rock is already packing the backpacks in the car as I type this...LOL.

Will give a full report when we get back tomorrow I promise.

Dont forget to pull out a hair dryer at the campsite and ask rock where to plug it in...

good luck and enjoy

YOU GO GIRL!! you will love it!! and welcome to the hanging crowd..
    can't wait for full report and pics!
    Peanuts (aka i.j.)
    "A womans place its on the trail"

LOL... I didn't take a hairdryer, but that would've been funny since I know better than that.

It was a really short hike compared to the mileage that most of y'all make. 1.1 miles roughly from the car to the campsite (according to SGT Rock), but then with my physical health what it is that was quite long enough for me. Then we mostly spent the next little while setting up the 4 hammocks. The one that took the longest was Creek Hopper's (go figure the smallest one) must be harder to judge on tree distance for that one or something I don't know. Or it could've been that DeadMan Walking was setting it up...LOL.

Then Rock gathered up a mess of firewood, which didn't seem to take anytime, and we settled down for lunch.

About the time the Frolicking Dinos arrived I think we were just sitting around talking and such. We did a good bit of that, just enjoying the company, the fire and being there.

I laughed so much yesterday at and with my guys that my sides are sore. We had a GREAT time. The only thing we're going to have to work on is how to sleep me a little more comfy in that hammock. But I'm sure we'll get that worked out too (I hope).

I uploaded pictures to my gallery, not very many of SGT Rock because he wouldn't turn loose of the camera. Although I did get my hands on it this morning when he was dressed up like "REI MAN" this morning. LOL.

I was laughing at him (again) and told him he looked like one of those yuppy bikers that ride up our road in those spandex outfits. So he decided to strike a pose, and I decided to snap a pic... Then there stood our son in his "Hikertrash man" outfit... the "I don't give a care" look, which was basically the same way I was dressed. So I made him strike a pose too (wasn't too hard the water bladder was his idea).

All in all.... a good time was had by all I do believe. Also, I am not opposed to going again, if we can work out that sleeping issue I mentioned. We have plans to do some testing here at home (right up Rock's alley...LOL).

It's hard to tell but I think Sgt Rock and I have the same altimeter/watch.

Journal Entries
    Images

What a beautiful family gathering, there is no doubt that love runs high in your family Dixie!

Section Hiker, 1,040 + miles, donating member peter_pan's Avatar
    Images

Allllllright.... welcome hanger....

Pan
    ounces to grams
    WWW.JACKSRBETTER.COM home of the Nest and No Sniveler underquilts and Bear Mtn Bridge Hammock

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++