WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by saimyoji View Post
    Good for you.
    wow. you changed my wording. good for you.

Small delights for simple minds. Mine that is.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf View Post
    no whinin' here, hoss. i've done more trail "magic" by accident than you'll ever do on purpose and i never asked if a person was thru-hiking or not. i don't judge. i treated and fed all equally.
    Then why don't you tell Pumpkin how rude he is? Nice guy asks a question, you go to insults. You don't offend equally, Wolf. You're just offensive. Period. He's not. Good for him.
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Quote Originally Posted by The Weasel View Post
    Obviously, the Gap is the best place.
    The vast majority of thru hikers that one would encounter at Newfound Gap are either on their way to Gatlinburg or just came from there. If you want to encounter hikers in their element, the Gap is obviously not the place. Unless, of course, you want to see hitchhikers!!!

Quote Originally Posted by The Weasel View Post
    Then why don't you tell Pumpkin how rude he is? Nice guy asks a question, you go to insults. You don't offend equally, Wolf. You're just offensive. Period. He's not. Good for him.
    i never said a word to or about mr. pumpkin. my words were directed at you and your elitism. i bet he would give a candy bar to a section hiker.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by saimyoji View Post
    Small? Mine is.
    SORRY!!! I just couldn't resist.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Quote Originally Posted by Pumpkin guy View Post

a) WIll northbound through hikers be going through the Smokies first week of April?
    b) What would be a most appreciated food item to receive while on the trail?
    a) yes. quite a few.
    b) a candy bar or piece of fruit.

I don't think the Newfound Gap is the best place either, if only because it's so busy and noisy. I suggest where Clingmans Rd comes closest to the trail.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    I don't think the Newfound Gap is the best place either, if only because it's so busy and noisy. I suggest where Clingmans Rd comes closest to the trail.
    It's very busy, but for someone who may have limited time to do some 'magic', it is a good compromise.

The Weasel
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

In case anyone's interested, I first heard the "They actually slathered the kid's hands with honey and pushed him towards a bear......it bit his hand clean off!!" story around 12 years ago, except the version I heard was peanut butter. And I bet the story goes back further than that.

I believe this is a Park Ranger version of a much repeated urban legend, but I will happily buy a drink for anyone who proves me wrong.

I don't expect to have to make good on this debt!

Journal Entries
    Images

Well, I was going to mention Clingmans Dome in my original post, but the parking lot is about 1/2 mi from the trail and thru-hikers have no need to go there. In order to pass out goodies there, one would have to haul stuff to the trailhead and then wait there. If he is willing to do that, Clingmans Dome would definitely be less busy, just not as convenient...

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    In case anyone's interested, I first heard the "They actually slathered the kid's hands with honey and pushed him towards a bear......it bit his hand clean off!!" story around 12 years ago, except the version I heard was peanut butter. And I bet the story goes back further than that.

I believe this is a Park Ranger version of a much repeated urban legend, but I will happily buy a drink for anyone who proves me wrong.

I don't expect to have to make good on this debt!
    I've been thinking of doing this with my wife's dog. If I do it do I win the prize?
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

You wanna slather your hand with peanut butter and then present it to your dog, Rock???

Oh, wait a minute......

I think you have something entirely different in mind.

I suggest you try barbecue sauce.

And being a cat person, I wish you all the best with this most worthy endeavor.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    I've been thinking of doing this with my wife's dog. If I do it do I win the prize?
    Yes. The prize will be a full jar of kim-chi. It is the traditional accompaniment.

Welcome home, you faker.

The Weasel

Images

but I will happily buy a drink for anyone who proves me wrong.
    Its true alright! Bill Bryson documents it in his book!

Images

[quote=The You're just offensive. Period. quote]

Wolf doesn't seem offensive to me. He just says what he thinks in very few words with no bs. I like that.

Several years ago my wife and I were doing a little hiking in Alaska. On the ferry between Angoon and Sitka we met a young Indian woman who had been bitten on the hand while feeding a black bear at the local dump. She was a native and knew better but thought the bear was friendly. She still had all her fingers but her hand was had nasty compression wounds where the bear had tried to clamp down on her hand. She had a rabies shot at Angoon and was on her way to Sitca so a doctor could look at it. I agree with Jack about the kid losing his hand in the Smokies. That legend has been around for years and the rangers and everyone else have either come to believe it or use it to scare people. Bears do not bite things cleanly off. If a bear had a small kid by the hand it would shake him like a hunting dog does with a wounded quail. Once he stopped moving the bear would then chew on him.
    Don't eat the yellow snow. O

On trail magic in the Smokies. Alot of hikers don't go in to Gatlenburg because it is expensive, a trap, and many who go there don't get back on the trail for several days. I stopped at Newfound Gap for about half an hour to let the idiots in cars ask me dumb questions and have their picture taken with a thru hiker. There was a big mob that day. I then went on up the trail to the next shelter. No one at that shelter had gone into either Gatlenburg or Charokee so we all had been on Lipton, Mac and Cheese or Ramen for 4 or 5 days. A day hiker stopped at the shelter and stood in front eating a beautiful red jucy apple and talking to us. She will never know how close she came to getting killed for that apple. In answer to the origional question, cold soda, a bag of apples, or even a candy bar is a wonderful trail magic for a tired hiker, either in the Smokies or anywhere along the trail where the hikers are "between " town stops.
    Don't eat the yellow snow. O

Quote Originally Posted by moxie View Post
    On trail magic in the Smokies. Alot of hikers don't go in to Gatlenburg because it is expensive, a trap, and many who go there don't get back on the trail for several days.
    how would you know it's expensive, a trap if you didn't go in there? lodging is cheap this time of year.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++