WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: What type of shelter do you prefer?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Shelters

Almost any type of shelter is OK as long as it keeps the rain out. What I enjoy are the different and sometimes artistic privies you encounter. It seems each shelter has a slightly different design.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf
    Tear them all down especially that rediculously huge $20,000 Peters Mtn. shelter in Pa. No need for that s**t. Make them all 3 sided 10 person shelters if anything.
    Don't like the Wind Tunnel, huh? Mr. Shaffer's original is right down the street.

Is that what they call it? Earl wouldn't let the other shelter be named after him cuz it didn't have a dirt floor.

Small three sided slanted roof job is all the is needed, like others have said, no more. Instead, spend the money on sefl composting privies bear cables. The self composting privies lessen the environmental impact on the trail and the bear cables are becoming necessary because of increase number of bears from the development of nearby lands, and the fact that most people do not hang their food attracting bears. the cables would lessen the occurances bear problems at shelters that seem to be on the increase.

Not being an experienced thru-hiker I appologize if my response if too obvious. Aren't there some places where shelters make more sense than others? Example: there are places along the trail that are harsher than others. Wouldn't it make more sense to have shelters strategically placed, rather than rythmically placed?

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Default Shelters

Shelters are apart of the AT culture. To do away with them completely not only would be taking away a part of the AT culture, but would not make financial sense.

Having said that, I agree with others. Spend the money on tenting platforms/sites. These "Hotel Hiltons" are using money better spent elsewhere. Shelters were meant to be simple, not psuedo cabins. Funds should be used for maintaining current shelters, not building new ones.

Suspect that the various trail clubs have fun building these sites and probably do not have the same interest as hikers. I also suspsect that most hikers (not LD hikers) like these more luxurious sites and that is why they continue to be built. C'est la vie.

I love shelters, and I always enjoyed coming on one with an unusual design, or a 2nd story that was safe from wind and rain. I particularly preferred those with privies.

But any shelter, anything that someone went into the woods and built for my comfort, was received gratefully. The big ones are nice, but really...who needs them?

The best part of shelters? They are a focal point for hikers. Yes, their presence does influence one's hike, but it was good to have nightly meeting places to relax, talk, and break bread together.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mags
    Shelters are apart of the AT culture. To do away with them completely not only would be taking away a part of the AT culture, but would not make financial sense.

Having said that, I agree with others. Spend the money on tenting platforms/sites. These "Hotel Hiltons" are using money better spent elsewhere. Shelters were meant to be simple, not psuedo cabins. Funds should be used for maintaining current shelters, not building new ones.

Suspect that the various trail clubs have fun building these sites and probably do not have the same interest as hikers. I also suspsect that most hikers (not LD hikers) like these more luxurious sites and that is why they continue to be built. C'est la vie.
    Periodic campsites with privies are essential -- for the protection of the trail environment, and, incidentally, for providing places where most hikers can congregate each evening, which many (most?) prefer to do.

But there is no doubt that some maintainers like to build shelters. Once when I asked an old maintainer if he had hiked any interesting trails recently, he replied. "Bob. I don't hike. I just build shelters." Sadly shelters have been at most an intermitent luxury for most busy season long distance hikers for at least two decades. No one since the early 80s has been able to expect a shelter to be available each night on a long hike so almost everyone carries emergency shelter.

I spoke to an ATC representative who told me big shelters were purposely designed to draw people in to one campsite where they would spare the surrounding area of trampling. If you notice, some new shelters are purposely placed on rock jumbles or other nasty surfaces that herd hikers into the shelter. This was done because individual campsites were found to be wearing the Trail over a larger area than concentration points like big shelters...

Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by weary
    ... Sadly shelters have been at most an intermitent luxury for most busy season long distance hikers for at least two decades. No one since the early 80s has been able to expect a shelter to be available each night on a long hike so almost everyone carries emergency shelter.
    I missed the part on what's so sad about that.
    You never turned around to see the frowns
    On the jugglers and the clowns
    When they all did tricks for you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++