WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Weight

I would worry more about physical weight than about how in shape you are. As a practical matter, the majority of actual (not symptomatic of wanting to go home) debilitating injuries are to the knees. How much you weigh is directly correlative of how much damage you knees take on downhills. Being in shape has nothing to do with that damage.

The trail, for all intents and purposes, is the only place to get fit for the trail. It is what GA is for. Teaching your body and mind how to hike a long hike. But you can't do that if your knees are killing you.

Just think of the downhills when you think of binging. Good luck.

Images

Here's my response to a thread on HHQ a while back. Some of it may be helpful.

The real problem will be maintenance. Besides, if I attack the diet plan, lose some weight fast, I think this isn't neccesarily the best approach. But this is psycologically satisfying to see some progress..
    Quote Originally Posted by Skidsteer
    Maintenance. Therein lies the rub doesn't it? This may help:

Diet

-Don't think of it as 'dieting' or 'maintaining'. Try to discover what foods and food routines will allow you to be content, healthy, and fit for the rest of your life and eat that way all the time.
    -Looking at all the possible diets is only useful until you figure out which one you can stay on forever.
    -Since you're a Big'un, be sure to try the "Sugarbusters" book. No sugar, good carbs, and plenty of good fats. But, as with any method of eating, if you aren't content living with it then jettison it and try something else.
    -if you must weigh yourself frequently, limit it to once per week on the same day each week and preferably at the same time of day.

Exercise

-For big guys the way to start IMO is lifting weights and walking. Our bodies seem to love and respond to resistance exercise and the walking will help burn calories too.
    -After you lose some weight and start feeling bulletproof, start running if your joints can take it. Running sheds pounds wicked fast.
    -days off exercise are just as important as workout days.

General

-When you splurge don't beat yourself up. Just start back in again.
    -If you find yourself unable to stop splurging, you may be eating the wrong foods for you. Try something else.

In short, figure out what works for you and do it all the time. Good Luck!
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

I've sweated with the girls and walked a mile on the hilly pavement in my neighborhood (in the rain with an umbrella). Today's trainer was a guy and he worked the heck out of my hamstrings, gluts and abdomen. My tummy is already getting sore.

The scale has not moved, but the tape measure shows another .25 inch is gone from my hips and my waist. Baby steps

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Thumbs up Relationship of Body Weight to Body Injury

Quote Originally Posted by Yahtzee View Post
    I would worry more about physical weight than about how in shape you are. As a practical matter, the majority of actual (not symptomatic of wanting to go home) debilitating injuries are to the knees. How much you weigh is directly correlative of how much damage you knees take on downhills. Being in shape has nothing to do with that damage.

The trail, for all intents and purposes, is the only place to get fit for the trail. It is what GA is for. Teaching your body and mind how to hike a long hike. But you can't do that if your knees are killing you.

Just think of the downhills when you think of binging. Good luck.
    Yahtsee speaks the truth, although my injury was to the feet.--Kinnickinic
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

Images

"The trail, for all intents and purposes, is the only place to get fit for the trail."

While I agree with pretty much everything you've said, Yahtzee, I disagree that a person can't get in shape to hike except by hiking. There are several threads and discussions about this, but it just doesn't make any sense that you couldn't prepare to do a physical task except by doing that specific task. People who participate in different sports or physical undertakings do all kinds of activities to prepare: ball players don't just swing bats and field grounders, they do weightlifting and wind sprints, too. Boxers don't just box, they do cardio and work out on bags and lift weights. Even as a runner, I do more than actually run, I do cross-training and I feel that some core training is helpful in that regard as well.

There's nothing special about hiking that says, you can't prepare to do it unless you're actually doing it. It may be that the BEST way to get in shape for hiking is to actually hike, but that's a far cry from saying, it's the ONLY way.

Otherwise, I do agree with your observations, especially the one about contemplating downhills when considering a pig-out!

Jane in CT

Registered User hammock engineer's Avatar

I'll poke my head into this to offer my 2 cent.

I think that all the diet and excerise programs out there basically do the same thing without telling you that. The only way to lose weight is use more calories in a day than you take in. Yes many meals is better for your body and metabolism then 1 big one and some snackes. But as long as you are using more, you will come out ahead. Just not as far ahead. I think too many people make a big deal about carbs, protein, and good/bad fats.

But this is all of corse my opinion. I did loose 50 lbs in high school though by just getting off the couch and doing something. I am at the point now where it takes a lot of excercise or starving myself to drop any major weight. I could excerise a little more (but I already walk 4-5 miles a day at my job) and eat a little better, but that will only get me 5 lbs or so.

Default Fitness

I guess I may have overstated things a bit. Of course, you can become a stronger hiker by building cardiovascular fitness. And I have certainly seen some fit people show up in GA and just spit the trail out like it was nothin'. So in that regard, being in shape would be helpful. Especially on the uphills.

I guess I was more thinking along the mechanics and muscles used in hiking. Because trail is not a smooth path, the part of the muscles used in you knees, ankles, hips, etc. change on a step by step basis. Even if only slightly. Apart from hiking, I can't think up anyway to develop those muscles and muscle responses.

I have left from Springer at 187 and 171. The time I left weighing 171, the hiking was much easier. Georgia should not be survived, but enjoyed.

Images

Walking on uneven surfaces as much as possible is great for strengthening feet, knees, ankles and hips. If you don't have any place to do this and have to train in a gym, try doing your upper body training and balance exercises while standing on a balance bubble, core trainer or similar device. This was how I trained to be able to walk on uneven surfaces after my leg and hip were broken. It works.

Images

Well, I'm done sweating with the ladies and walked 1.1 miles around my hilly neighborhood today. I made it about 100 yards further than I did on Friday before I started limping - proof my injured leg is getting stronger. I'm doing the entire walk without my cane.

I got a pleasant surprise this morning - the male dino got up, did his 3X a week workout and walked with me. He walked twice around the neighborhood (1.4 miles) with 5 lb weights on each leg. His doc says he has to lose some weight or face adding several drugs to his day and a CPAP machine to his nights. His doc is pretty sure his apena is caused by excess dino lard.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hammock engineer View Post
    I'll poke my head into this to offer my 2 cent.

I think that all the diet and excerise programs out there basically do the same thing without telling you that. The only way to lose weight is use more calories in a day than you take in. Yes many meals is better for your body and metabolism then 1 big one and some snackes. But as long as you are using more, you will come out ahead. Just not as far ahead. I think too many people make a big deal about carbs, protein, and good/bad fats.

But this is all of corse my opinion. I did loose 50 lbs in high school though by just getting off the couch and doing something. I am at the point now where it takes a lot of excercise or starving myself to drop any major weight. I could excerise a little more (but I already walk 4-5 miles a day at my job) and eat a little better, but that will only get me 5 lbs or so.

Agreed. Fasting for vanity is silly.

Once I can step up and down around here, I will add a couple pounds of the right kind.

Images

Okay Yahtzee now we're on the same page I think. I do agree with you that backpacking and hiking (at least not on a groomed trail) do present special athletic challenges for which it is difficult to prepare by doing other sports or training activities. Even though I train all year round, my first steps on the trail in the spring always involve a huge shock to my system and I wind up full of aches and pains in unexpected places. The pump is fine, the muscles are fine, the endurance is fine, but the ups and downs and around and abouts - the rock shimmying and figuring out how to get down steep climbs and the odd contortions, those all place stresses on my body that I can't quite figure out how to train for in the off season. So to that extent I agree with you.

Jane in CT

Images

healthy physical condition is something we should do year-round, with a proper diet and moderate, but consistent exersise.

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

:banana

Quote Originally Posted by Frolicking Dinosaurs View Post
    Well, I'm done sweating with the ladies and walked 1.1 miles around my hilly neighborhood today. I made it about 100 yards further than I did on Friday before I started limping - proof my injured leg is getting stronger. I'm doing the entire walk without my cane.

I got a pleasant surprise this morning - the male dino got up, did his 3X a week workout and walked with me. He walked twice around the neighborhood (1.4 miles) with 5 lb weights on each leg. His doc says he has to lose some weight or face adding several drugs to his day and a CPAP machine to his nights. His doc is pretty sure his apena is caused by excess dino lard.
    Every step is a big step when someone is recovering from something that has taken away a previous way of life. And it is exciting! Kudos to the Dinosaurs' feet. May all four of them keep on a-movin'.--Kinnickinic
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

I started getting ready for my spring section hike in December. I have built my way up to walking 5 miles a day @ 3.5 MPH varying between a 6 and 10 percent incline through out the walk.

Next thing I know I started eating better… Crap, then the next thing I know I kicked a 20 year smoking habit with out the patch or any meds…

Funny what a five mile walk at 5:00am each day will do….

Here are a couple things I have learned for myself. YMMV…

I still have trouble with eating everything on my plate. I guess my parents beat that one into me. I have to make sure when I go out that I tell them NO FRIES, No What ever I don’t want to eat… If my plate comes out with what ever on it I tell them to take it back and remove it. I get really strange looks at time…

The other thing is I don’t call it a diet. It is all about making choices and rewarding yourself. When I hit my 30 pounds loss mark and held it for 3 day I had a big old honkin DQ Blizzard… Man was it good….

You have to reward yourself….

Images

One of the things my wife and I do at home is eat off 9" plates, instead of 13". I think that helps pyscologicly. We never eat out.

Images

Haven't checked in in a while - I'm down 6 more pounds and am having to replace lots of clothing because they are too big! I'm doing an hour of mixed aerobics,cardio, strength training and stretching in the mornings (Lifetime channel from 7 - 8 EDT) and walking .7 to 2.1 miles depending on how my leg is doing. The doc told me not to push the leg as hard because it still has some circulation problems.

I'm in the process of letting go of 100+ lbs of grease. I started out at 375 lbs. and weighed in at 340 lbs. today. I've been passing on the crap carbs and walking as much as possible. I just started holding at 6 miles a day on a flat paved/unpaved trail. I don't think I need to say more than I have Springer Feaver really, really bad. I hope to be there in 2008.

I started walking with my pack on ( osprey internal w/30lbs.) last week and it has gone quite well. Prior to that I was having alot of problems in my lumbar, buttydocks, and thigh muscles while "slack" walking. Carrying the pack has, for some odd reason, really helped.
    Soooooooooo I have decided to go for troutdale sobo to Damascus the first week of June. Whos with me?
    My guns are not as dangerous as Ted Kennedy's car

Images

Quote Originally Posted by serenityrich View Post
    I'm in the process of letting go of 100+ lbs of grease. I started out at 375 lbs. and weighed in at 340 lbs. today. I've been passing on the crap carbs and walking as much as possible. I just started holding at 6 miles a day on a flat paved/unpaved trail. I don't think I need to say more than I have Springer Feaver really, really bad. I hope to be there in 2008.

"Burn that butter!"

Congrats! When you hit a plateau, add some simple exercises. Slow and steady wins this race.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by serenityrich View Post
    Wow, congrats to you on your weight loss. Hope to see you out there in '08. You can do this.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++