WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Coodware and Stove Questions

I looking to get some new cookware and found some MSR. I have never had any MSR products but I am aware of their rep. They had one set that was AL with teflon and a titanium set. AL was about 60 bucks cheaper and I am used to cooking with cookware that is teflon coated. Is their any difference between the two sets besides weight? Is titanium nonstick also? Also along the same lines there was another set made by GSI which I have not heard of and it was about 15 dollars cheaper than the MSR for the AL set and had one additional pan. They both felt about the same when compared together and each pan felt like it weight the same also. Anyone ever compare MSR and GSI?

I am also getting a stove and was looking at the MSR Simmerlite and Whisperlite. One is about 40 dollars more than the other and other than the frame for the pot to sit on I do not see any difference between the two. Fuel usage and time to boil were within tenths of a few seconds of each other. Any info on comparing these two stoves or is there a better one that I need to look at. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

WadeH,

I made the switch this yr to a Brunton-Optimus Nova ( same as a MSR gas stove but priming is much easier), was on closeout at REI - $39.83 ( 3 weeks ago). If you are looking for Lite Titanium non-stick pots - look at the Evernew products.

I was using a MSR Stowaway 1100ml (Stainless -15oz) use it on a SVEA stove for many yrs. I blackened the pot with engine block paint to speed up cooking.

Mike

Images

MSR makes quality cooksets so personal preference is mainly what matters. I can tell you that I have 2 sets of MSR cooking gear and Titanium is definitely NOT nonstick. I can't speak about the MSR stoves because I don't have one. Happy hunting.

Images

I have the MSR Simmerlite...works great!

I have the MSR Simmerlight as well and love it. Once you get the hang of lighting it is all good. I have a Snow Peak Titanium Solo cook set. My stove fits in it as well as my Titanium Spork. It all makes a one Pkg deal. Do check out some of the Snow Peak Cook Sets.

Cook pots: obviously you can figure out the weight differential between different brands (MSR, Evernew, GSI, etc) and see what fits your budget.

White gas stoves: Simmerlite is the updated version of the whisperlite. One disadvantage of the whisperlite is that it didn't simmer well. The simmerlite solves that. It's a little lighter, and will not support as large a pot as the whisperlite. But that usually not an issue unless you are cooking for a group.

http://www.antigravitygear.com/
    and
    http://www.minibulldesign.com/

problem solved.

It took me alot of money and alot of high end weight to learn better. I've saved you the both the weight and money I have already wasted.

I used white gas stoves for some time.This past year i bought a TRANGIA denatured alcohol stove(series 27).This stove comes complete with cookware, denatured alcohol is much cheaper, and i get better fuel consumption from it.

Thanks for all the fine people that I have met

I thru hiked last year with a whisper lite stove, there were'nt many others. Most people use denatured alchhol stoves. As for cookware some people were cooking out of half liter titanuim mugs. Some people were avoiding cooking. MSR is fine it is heavy it is what I used last year, this year I switched to Titanium. It is difficult to figure out what works for you until you hike.

MSR Titan kettle is the perfect size to hold a couple of packs of ramen or a liptons, and it has a handle that folds and a peak for draining.

I carried the litte titan kettle the whole way.

One bit of advice.....I've owned many MSR cooksets over the years and have managed to beat the bejeezus out of all of them.

Never, and I mean NEVER use anything metal inside your cookware, either to eat with or to clean, i.e. no metal scrubbies, ever, and no metal spoons, either. Use woodn, plastic, or Lexan cutlery or you will completely destroy the inside finish of your pots within a few days of use.

MSR stoves are fine. Just not light. They were very popular on the AT back in the early 1990s. At some point the "conventional wisdom" swung over to alcohol and canister stoves. My 18 year old Whisperlite is still going strong and came with me on my last long section, half a year ago. I'll probably be using a JetBoil or a Pocket Rocket stove from here on out, just to save a few ounces.

++ New Posts ++