WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    avatar= bushwhackin' mount kancamagus nh 5-8-04 neighbor dave's Avatar
    Images

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf View Post
    you're better off walking down the road a mile or so, there's a great deli-market with all kinds of food and beer, then walk over to the state park campground and get a site for the night, have a fire and some cold ones.
    Inn at the Long Trail is overrated.
    murray is a great guy though. i've stayed there twice. hey like i said befo, i didn't take no vow of poverty when i set foot on da trail!!
    i do like wolfs idea though! see you there this summer when you and gypsy are hikin' the L.T.!!

That deli down the road is way too expensive. Geez I spent a whole $1.25 on one cuppa joe. Way over rated!
    E-Z---"from sea to shining sea''

Red face Inn

The Inn is a fine establishment. The Guinness while expensive is the best poured Guinness I have had in the states. The staff, which has been there for a bit now, is friendlier than hell. Had the bartender take me on the roof one night to see as many stars as I have ever seen. The breakfast kicks ass. It is a great meeting pt for friends. Manch Ctr. is not the most conducive meeting pt. In '05, they allowed camping across the street where the old AT used to run down. That saves room money there. And for 3 people, you can get the hiker room for $66 smackeroo's. That's pretty good. The ambience is kick ass as well. If you get there on a night they have Irish music, you are in a for a treat.

They are strict on letting non paying hikers freeload on the showers. They busted me after I broke down and tried to let some smelly hikers up to my room. They were as nice as could be about it, firm but nice.

It is one of my fav. stops on the trail. If you like Guinness, forget about it. Pull up a chair and worry about the tab later.

talk about the woman. more at the deli or the inn? i would eat with lone wolf and sleep with baltimore jack . wait. i ment, in the woods across the street.
    matthewski

I stayed there three times over three years sectioning the LT. I'm hard to please and pretty darn cheap, so getting my repeat business isn't easy. Nice place, nice people, nice location.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Quote Originally Posted by Yahtzee View Post
    The Inn is a fine establishment. The Guinness while expensive is the best poured Guinness I have had in the states. The staff, which has been there for a bit now, is friendlier than hell. Had the bartender take me on the roof one night to see as many stars as I have ever seen. The breakfast kicks ass. It is a great meeting pt for friends. Manch Ctr. is not the most conducive meeting pt. In '05, they allowed camping across the street where the old AT used to run down. That saves room money there. And for 3 people, you can get the hiker room for $66 smackeroo's. That's pretty good. The ambience is kick ass as well. If you get there on a night they have Irish music, you are in a for a treat.

They are strict on letting non paying hikers freeload on the showers. They busted me after I broke down and tried to let some smelly hikers up to my room. They were as nice as could be about it, firm but nice.

It is one of my fav. stops on the trail. If you like Guinness, forget about it. Pull up a chair and worry about the tab later.
    Ah what a Grand post!! You only go around once!

Quote Originally Posted by mrc237 View Post
    Ah what a Grand post!! You only go around once!
    the place is ok. scale of 1 - 10 i give it a 5.

well i just punched out at work. off to dot's for a coupla colds ones

may your tracks be long quicktoez's Avatar
    Images

VT and the White Mtn. region in NH are funny place, they love hikers, skiers, and other mountain enthusiast but during peak times (Fall, holiday weekends and events) when these places (Inns, B&Bs motels) get a premium form the upscale crowd and the atmosphere changes, they are overwhelmed with rich pushy folk and a dusty and maybe a bit smelly (at least I smelled when I stayed their) get the bum rush.
    Take it form me The Inn at Long Trail (which bought me the first beer because I was a long dis hiker) like most non hostels in NE like us more than the Massholes, pushy CT and New Yorkers but push comes to shove nice guys finish last in the lodging industry. I myself am a 20 year hotel manager (guest service, night and F&B) for Crowne Plaza, Radisson and a few others and service people make a lot of money at these times (probably so they can afford to do what we do).
    I'm a strong believer in karma and also know the biz, don't take it personal, a lot of places like this cut a lot of distance hikers slack ($40 in the Killington region is dirt cheap any time {I usually pay at least $25 and that’s the employ rate ) and when you get snubbed by hospitality staff (who are usually people like us) its cause money talks and experienced hospitality people 9 times out of 10 blow off the nice people to work their trade and max their earnings.
    Now back to the pushy Southern New Englander comments, I lived in all three states I picked on and from the outside looking in the nicest of us come off generally less friendly then folk form other parts but if your don't live between Boston and New York City and we actually smile, make eye contact or even just don't cut you off with our car that is really just the way we live and why if your a mountain lover and from the North East you probably are the exception to the Southern New England rule but still a bit more reserved in our everyday interpersonal skill set. Remember Karma, the good Samaritans or whatever you holy books say. Well the squeaky wheel may get the oil but it sure doesn’t get much love for all the squeaking and whining it makes. Sometimes being loved/liked and taken for granted is better than being a big wheel.
    Finally if your from Mass. I love you GO SOX!! and the think is the works they use for the CT and Urban NYers if so bad I could bring myself to type if but I guess I have been a Connecti-c@#T a few times when I forget how hard people work in the services industry.

I have been a Connecti-c@#T a few times
    Yeah, in the above post.

Seriously for a sec here- I don't know where most of you guys drink but I don't find $5.00 for a Guinness expensive. Where I live on LI its common most places get $6.00 and some 7 when entertainment is on. In the stores its 10 + $ for 4 cans. In Dublin where they make the stuff I paid more than 5. Now PBR thats another story. If I wasn't able to spend alot of $$$ on the trail I probably wouldn't be there its like being on a working vacation. I may look like a hobo on the trail but I don't have to be one. Everyone is entitled to spend or not spend their money as they please.
    Last edited by mrc237; 03-14-2007 at 17:57.

The bottom line "Every hotel looks the same when you close your eyes at night''. I wish i was at Dot's right now.
    Last edited by mrc237; 03-14-2007 at 22:53.

Default Owen

He was who took me up on the roof. The pastry chef there is right on as well. Except half the time he's gone at a David Grisman show. Last time I was there Owen was off in South America, I think.

Also, the rock formations inside the building are a sweet touch.

I was there on 9/11 and the owners were comforting as could be to the ridge runner at Cooper whose mom worked across the street from the twin towers. Crazy day. Another reason the Inn will always be with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Yahtzee View Post
    He was who took me up on the roof. The pastry chef there is right on as well. Except half the time he's gone at a David Grisman show.
    I didn't know Grisman came around that often... but he's worth a listen or two or three, for sure.

Long Trail end-to-end '03, AT VT Maine Junction to Hanover Rough's Avatar
    Images

Smile

My wife and I stayed at the Inn at Long Trail twice, in 2003 on our LT through, and then again in 2006 while hiking the AT over toward Hanover. We enjoyed our stays, used the coin laundry, were able to eat vegan off the bar menu and at breakfast, the staff was very accomodating, and the draft Guinness can only be matched at the Rose and Crown Pub at the England pavillion in Disney's EPCOT. There's also a hiker box which is pretty well-stocked in July and August.
    The rooms are spartan but clean. Make sure you ask for a room on the side away from Route 4 (the Inn is located at the top of Sherburne Pass and if your room is on the highway side you'lll hear the trucks downshifting all night). Walk-in hikers get a discount (as opposed to those who make a reservation). Let them know if you'll be catching the bus into Rutland and they'll give you a free bus pass (the bus stops right in front of the Inn). We hitched back and forth the one mile from the Route 4 LT/AT trailhead several times without a problem.
    During our last stay there were quite a few hikers tenting around the parking lot across the highway from the Inn so there is a nearby alternative if the rates are too steep for some and it's too late to move on.
    Oh, and to the guy who said "GO SOX", I can only reply "GO YANKEES, 26-time World Series Champions". Ah, New England.

The AT Hiker Formerly Known as MASH
    Images

Well, if it's OK with you Blue Jay, I do like to leave this state every now and again.

Speaking for myself, I had no problems. Some of the fellows I was walking with said they got double charged for a few items, and I met a guy down the trail who had a metric crapload of extra charges on his Visa when he got ahold of the bill. Again, I had no problems myself, but I've been talking with a chap who's thinking of going through next year, and I wanted a bit more data. Sounds like the general consensus is a good one, aside from the expense, but there's only so cheap you can be in NE. Sorry if I ruffled any feathers!

Hopefully they got it squared it away. I am sure it was an oversight tell your friend there will be no problems. As far as ruffled feathers this thread was good entertainment we need more like 'em here on WB.

Images

Default Inn at Long trail

I have been their couple times,and as I recall It was a nice place,did not stay overnight.I did get a ride up to the convenient store,typical New England everything was expensive.ky

Quote Originally Posted by mogilews View Post
    Speaking for myself, I had no problems.
    So you bad mouth the oldest and clearly from the response one of the best service providers on the trail IN PUBLIC, because some bozo you don't even know TOLD you he had a minor problem. Seriously stay in Florida and shut up, please. Even Lone Wolf who is tighter than me (and that's saying alot) gave it a five. Don't even try to bad mouth Miss Janet because your Uncle Ralph once got a traffic ticket in Tenn., or we'll come down there.

The AT Hiker Formerly Known as MASH
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jay View Post
    So you bad mouth the oldest and clearly from the response one of the best service providers on the trail IN PUBLIC, because some bozo you don't even know TOLD you he had a minor problem. Seriously stay in Florida and shut up, please. Even Lone Wolf who is tighter than me (and that's saying alot) gave it a five. Don't even try to bad mouth Miss Janet because your Uncle Ralph once got a traffic ticket in Tenn., or we'll come down there.
    Hee hee! Like I'd ever badmouth Miss Janet. You had me going there for a minute.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++