WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Help me pick out a sleeping bag!!!!

Ok,

I'm looking for a relatively inexpensive (ok, really inexpensive) sleeping bag that is pretty lightweight. I think i've got my choices narrowed down a bit. Please give me your input on what you think is a good deal.

Lafuma Warm N' Light 600 -- 1lb.5oz. -- 37º: $64.95
    Mountainsmith Recon +20 3D -- 2lb.14oz. -- 20º: $66.93
    Kelty Auster 30+ -- 2lb.8oz. -- 30º: $57.93

I will be hiking primarily in the North Georgia area...

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

for an all around bag, id get the 20-degree one because it will be more versatile in a wider range of temperatures than the other two options.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Thanks for the help.

The Lafuma is down, while the other two are synthetic (Polarguard). At this price, will that make much of a difference?

Quote Originally Posted by maconmatt View Post
    Thanks for the help.

The Lafuma is down, while the other two are synthetic (Polarguard). At this price, will that make much of a difference?
    the difference is weight. you can look at the numbers and tell that. i wouldnt be hesitant in buying synthetic or down.

amongnature.blogspot.com

I will be hiking primarily in the North Georgia area...
    During what time of year will most of your hiking be done?
    If you don't do it this year, you'll just be one year older when you do - Warren Miller

Quote Originally Posted by rswanson View Post
    During what time of year will most of your hiking be done?
    I may occasionally use it in early/late winter, but I'll be using it primarily in Spring/Summer...

Images

I just got a mountainsmith 45 degree bag advertised at 1lb 14oz and when I got it I weighed it (several times) on a digital postal scale and it is actually 2lbs 6.5oz. You can't trust their weight as advertised.

Images

can you sew?

http://www.ray-way.com

Light weight, and cheap. I sewed 2 of these for my son and me. Its all we use. When the temps get in the low 30's you do need extra clothes.

Thanks stuco! Right now, I'm leaning torward the Lafuma Warm N' Light

Images

Go for lowest temp bag. Don't worry about a few ounces on what will be the most important thing you carry.

The Weasel
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

So, is 2lb.14oz. still a relatively light bag?

(Thanks again for all your help. I'm pretty knew to this. Some buddy's and myself are planning on knocking out the Georgia section of the AT this year during weekends.)

Images

So, is 2lb.14oz. still a relatively light bag?

(Thanks again for all your help. I'm pretty knew to this. Some buddy's and myself are planning on knocking out the Georgia section of the AT this year during weekends.)
    For a 20 degree bag, yes. Keep in mind that no one believes a 20 degree bag will be warm at 20 degrees, but it will be OK at 30.

The Weasel
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Quote Originally Posted by The Weasel View Post
    For a 20 degree bag, yes. Keep in mind that no one believes a 20 degree bag will be warm at 20 degrees, but it will be OK at 30.

The Weasel
    Yeah, i figured.

Has anybody tried this bag? I have a hard time believe those specs, especially the stuff size.

Images

check out the campmor 20 degree bag too. It's around 2.5 pounds and only costs $109. Great down bag.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

I may occasionally use it in early/late winter, but I'll be using it primarily in Spring/Summer...
    Unless you buy a accurately rated 20 degree bag, I wouldn't expect to get much winter or shoulder season usage out of it, unless you have good supplemental insulation you can wear to bed (like a high-loft jacket). If you pay less money for a bag, expect the temp ratings to be optomistic, sometimes very much so. Keep this in mind. Also, synthetic bags are always bulkier so you'll need to have an adequately sized pack.

In my experience, the last place to cut corners budget-wise is when sleeping bag shopping. I know mine is the most expensive piece of gear in my pack, by far. If you absolutely must stick to the budget you're outlining, go with the lower temp rating bags. You'll get more use out of it and won't be forced to stay home in late fall thru early spring.

Your other option is to buy one of the lighter bags, like the LaFuma, and save up for a warmer for use in the winter. Good luck!
    If you don't do it this year, you'll just be one year older when you do - Warren Miller

Thanks rswanson! Lots of helpful info! I just realized that the Mountainsmith says that it fits up to 5ft 11in. I am 6ft tall...do you think i'd be pushing the limit on the size?

Thanks rswanson! Lots of helpful info! I just realized that the Mountainsmith says that it fits up to 5ft 11in. I am 6ft tall...do you think i'd be pushing the limit on the size?
    not if you sleep on your side most of the time. then you are somewhat curled up so it doesnt matter. then again, if you want to fully stretch out and lay on your back, you may notice it more.

amongnature.blogspot.com

You also want to make sure it's wide enough. I'm 6' but need a WIDE bag at the shoulders. It was the most important element in my last sleeping bag purchase.

I've never seen a girth size for LaFuma, and it's hard to tell, but they look narrow in the pictures.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++