WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    may your tracks be long quicktoez's Avatar
    Images

Default Why do they think I'm crazy to do the AT – Help!

Ok, I’m doing Springer to Harpers Ferry starting next week then sectioning the remaining 500 - 600 miles I have left this summer with plans to finish at Katahdin late July. I have gotten so much crap from people because they think I’m wasting my time, risking my life or just plain a loser for wanting to “walk in the woods”. How do you guys explain the woods time and am I really loopy for liking the solitude and consistency of the mountains?
    Last edited by quicktoez; 03-14-2007 at 19:01.

Images

Forget them, people will always knock you for doing something great. Generally they are either, jeleous, closed minded, not very bright, threatened.

Quote Originally Posted by quicktoez View Post
    Ok, I’m doing Springer to Harpers Ferry starting next week then sectioning the remaining 700 or 800 miles this summer with plans to finish at Katahdin late July. I have gotten so much crap from people because they think I’m wasting my time, risking my life or just plain a loser for wanting to “walk in the woods”. How do you guys explain the woods time and am I really loopy for liking the solitude and consistency of the mountains?
    well it won't be solitary. you'll be with lots of hikers. after harpers ferry you'll still have almost 1100 miles or so. but anyway who cares what others think. just do it. it's YOUR life

Images

Default Ty

Thanks, think I'm just looking for some clear thinking people like you all for suport. May your tracks be long.
    quicktoez
    Last edited by quicktoez; 03-14-2007 at 19:30.

Listen have hiked the trail in vt and have done a substantial amount of trail work in the area. i am planning a through hike to begin in march of 2008. People harrass me about it all the time, mostly at work but i also have a lot of support which make up for the misery at work. anyway man i wish you the best of luck with your voyage and just because you won't become famous for it...do it anyway.

Images

Have them look at your photo gallery here on WB. You have a talent for capturing wildlife and amazing views on camera and you're not going to be able to do that in the city.

Images

Take only pictures and leave only track - or somthing like that - Leave no trace http://www.usscouts.org/advance/vent...veNoTrace.html
    Mother nature makes the pictures, I just like her work.

They can't hear the music.
    "The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail. Travel too fast and you miss all you are traveling for." - Louis L'Amour

Images

Ok, I’m doing Springer to Harpers Ferry starting next week then sectioning the remaining 500 - 600 miles I have left this summer with plans to finish at Katahdin late July. I have gotten so much crap from people because they think I’m wasting my time, risking my life or just plain a loser for wanting to “walk in the woods”. How do you guys explain the woods time and am I really loopy for liking the solitude and consistency of the mountains?
    Reminds me of a quote:
    Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule. - Friedrich Nietzsche
    But then again that's Nietzsche - people just care about you that's why they're all bunched up. See ya on the wacky woods.
    You can never appreciate the shade of a tree unless you sweat in the sun.-- Author Unknown

If they really want to know, have a discussion. Talk about their lifetime dreams, and yours. Compare and contrast. They might get it.

If they really just want to talk you out of it, detach. Don't get angry, don't get bitter, don't apologize, don't get defensive. Just resign yourself to the fact that not everyone is going to understand. The great things in life take both your heart and your mind to comprehend, and if their heart isn't tuned to yours, well, that is how life goes. If they're not open to even trying to understand you, that's their loss. Don't make it yours.

Images

Wasting your time? How many hours a week do these same people who criticize you watch tv or play video games or otherwise waste their time.

Risking your life? Do these same people ride in cars or cross the street or interact with the rest of the world (always a risky proposition).

A loser for walking in the woods? Only a loser would push their own agenda on others and berate them for not conforming.

Quite frankly, the only thing that would make you a loser is if you caved in to the wants of selfish "friends". You'd lose out on the views, you'd lose out on the simple beauty of nature, you'd lose out on celestial views sans light pollution, you'd lose out on the satisfaction of reaching a goal each day, of being self contained, of being a free spirit. Most of all (and best of all IMO) if you go you'll lose all those nay saying voices that are afraid to step out their little box to get a look at what the world has to offer.

Donating Member
    Images

Ditto all of that Qicktoez! It's your life - make the most of it! I agree that most people are afraid of or disapproving of what they don't know or deem to be "abnormal". Forget 'em! Best of luck!! BTW, I still have your # so I'll give you a call & hopefully catch you before you take off. Cheers!
    "You will find something more in woods than in books. Trees and stones will teach you that which you can never learn from masters."
    ~Saint Bernard (1090 - 1153)

Images

I'm willing to bet those people don't know much about what you are about to undertake, I'm also guessing that if you know just a couple people who are knowledgable about the trail, they don't think your crazy. Go to your local outfitters, there is probably someone there who thinks what your about to do is cool and amazing. I found that you could just spend a couple min. giving them a little education about the trail, that they won't think it is so crazy.

Hanna
    ps there isn't anything wrong w/ being crazy
    Gaiter
    homepage.mac.com/thickredhair
    web.mac.com/thickredhair/AT_Fall_07

My friends think I am crazy for "going native" and "doing without", but then I think they are crazy for not "experiencing nature" or "getting away from it all". Everybody is crazy in someone else's mind. As long as you are happy doing what you like then don't be afraid to be crazy.

Regarding the "how can you risk your life?" or "aren't you afraid of getting eaten by a bear?" questions I get all the time, I merely reply, "do you know how many people die in car accidents every year? 40,000 in the U.S. alone. Do you know how many people have been killed by black bears in the last 100 years? 56. I have a better chance of being killed on the way to the trail than I do on the trail."

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Man View Post
    My friends think I am crazy for "going native" and "doing without", but then I think they are crazy for not "experiencing nature" or "getting away from it all". Everybody is crazy in someone else's mind. As long as you are happy doing what you like then don't be afraid to be crazy.
    It all goes back to my saying, though: You can be as crazy as you want in this country, as long as you can hold down a job.

As soon as you quit the job, though , out come the straitjackets!

Try these on for size. Works for me.

What you think of me is none of my business.
    --Terry Cole Whitaker

.....then again, you might just put on Gnarls Barkley's "Crazy"...really loud,
    http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/gnarlsbarkley/crazy.html
    [COLOR="SeaGreen"] [I]"Mama always said there's an awful lot you can tell about a person by their shoes. Where they're going, where they've been. I've worn lots of shoes."
    (Forrest Gump; Greenbow, Alabama)[/I] [/COLOR]

Sounds like you got the more abrasive "friends and family reaction." That may - in part - explain why you are drawn to the trail.
    If it's at all about one's sanity, the "American Dreamer, SUVer, American Idolers" would have us believe it's our sanity in question. When you're on the trail you'll become quite certain of the actual truth.
    And when you're on the trail you think about the folks who gave you negative feedback and in your heart you wish they could be there to see where you are, if for but a moment.
    It kind of gives you perspective on the people you know who are interested, excited and happy for you. Hope you have plenty of those as well.
    I think the trail is a path to sanity in this increasingly despotic world.
    Have fun when you leave. The trail and your friends here are waiting.
    Maybe we'll cross paths in Vermont.
    Peace

Find some new friends who understand hikers. Maybe hang out more with the AMC or mayby NH hiking club

I gave up trying to explain to people. My boyfriend asked me how he was supposed to explain to people and I told him "Just say I'm crazy" Most people who are going to understand will know without explanations why, the others probably won't ever get it.
    It doesn't make a difference to me, in 40 years I will not be sitting in my wheelchair worrying about what random people thought of the way I lived my life.

Images

Default wht do they think Im crazy to do the AT

tell them to take a hike .Well most people wouldnt understand unless they do it.And besides who cares what they think.Ky

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++