WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by quicktoez View Post
    Ok, I’m doing Springer to Harpers Ferry starting next week then sectioning the remaining 500 - 600 miles I have left this summer with plans to finish at Katahdin late July. I have gotten so much crap from people because they think I’m wasting my time, risking my life or just plain a loser for wanting to “walk in the woods”. How do you guys explain the woods time and am I really loopy for liking the solitude and consistency of the mountains?
    they are envey of you
    wolf

Default think I'm crazy to do the AT – Help!

If you just relax and accept that you're crazy you will be liberated to do any crazy thing you want to. If you keep resisting the obvious you'll just be all conflicted. Crazy is not such a bad thing...it's not like "insane" or some other heavy duty labels. When you accept that you're crazy you are free to do crazy stuff.
    When each of my sons were old enough I took them sky diving with me. I taught them both how to ride my motorcycle. I've spent some significant range time with them also. I've done all kinds of crazy stuff so if I am what I do I must be crazy.
    It wasn't until I went to hike the AT that my older son took it as proof that I'd slipped off the edge of sanity. His opinion changed when his roommate's dad said that it was a great thing to do. Other people will either adjust to what you do or they won't but that's their issue...not yours.
    If you wait for the approval of the world you will live a very dull life.

Images

I have never gotten any flac from my family as far as backpacking but co-workers have. But these are the same ones who either will spend hundreds of dollers to go to NASCAR and get so wasted they don't know who won or the go sit in a tree stand all day in 30* weather to shot a deer. I usually just ignore them because I know how much I enjoy being on the trail even if it is just for the weekend.

may your tracks be long quicktoez's Avatar
    Images

They may think I'm crazy but I,m almost 200 m in and loving it. Boo to all who don't get it.
    TY all for you coments and see you on the trail.
    Quicktoez

Images

Talking go for it

all i can say is go for it,i do get it, i know were you r coming from good luck,i will be on trail in sept in n.y to mass.
    wolf

Images

Just do it. Most times people express why they wouldn't do something - usually out of ignorance, when they say stuff like this. I think this probably applies to many endevours in life. I mean after all, there are some folks that spend all their life going to malls and think that is fun. At least I went to a mall once and know it wasn't LOL.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Images

Cool crazy

right on sgt
    wolf

Smile

Quicktoez,
    I got the same reaction from my neighbors and friends, I'm prepping//practicing for next spring. They think I'm nuts humping a 50 lb. pack through the woods and up and down sand dunes just for fun. I asked a couple of them if they would like to give it a go. The answers were basically the same, everyone is in a hurry to make a living, they smoke to much, way over weight, drink to excess and are stressed beyond the limits. I don't know what they're waiting for but I think life's to short, there's to many trails to hike and to much to see, but its they're choice and to hike is ours. Bottom line is who cares what they think, you're doing something good for yourself and will experiance things they never will and your not hurting a soul while doing it. I'll step down from my soapbox now.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++