WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: MP3 recharging

Default MP3 recharging

Hello folks: I have an MP3 player with FM tuner and am thinking of taking it with me for my section (Springer to GSMNP) hike next month. I don't usually spend much time with it on hiking, but it's nice when the going gets tough to have something to distract. Also, I like getting weather forcasts, not that I can do anything about that. Anyway, anyone with experience who can tell me whether I will be able to get access to a computer (at hostels, libraries, etc) to recharge the thing via USB? Is this access available? expensive? How long do you think I can have access to the computer USB port? My player runs about 15 hours on a charge so I probably will need to recharge it at some point. Any help is appreciated.

I may depend on the player, but for an iPod you can get a AC charger so you don't need a computer.

You'll probably be able to charge it at the Cloud9 Hostel in Hiawassee and/or Haven's Budget Inn in Frankln

may your tracks be long quicktoez's Avatar
    Images

I have a solar charger for my ipod http://www.treehugger.com/files/2004/11/solio.php that can also be charged with the Energizer cell phone charger http://www.corporate-ir.net/ireye/ir_site.zhtml?ticker=ENR&script=410&layout=-6&item_id=872850
    Its basically about money and what your willing to carry but I have books on tape, contacts, field guides, music, pod casts and photo backup capability all for under a pound. Works for me.

Quicktoez-

I saw that gizmo at EMS last weekend. Does it REALLY work? How picky is it about being in direct sunlight?

Thanks!

Donating Member
    Images

It would seem like there are lots of opportunities to access power, if not by USB, but by regular power outlets along the way. I'm thinking hostels, motels, perhaps some friendly resaturants or bars. Am I wrong?
    "You will find something more in woods than in books. Trees and stones will teach you that which you can never learn from masters."
    ~Saint Bernard (1090 - 1153)

Computer time is limited because of the demand.. They have one at Neels Gap. Some will not let you hook up a usb because of contamination issues. I would consider an Mp3 player like the Rio which works off a single AA battery. you could use this same battery in other devices.

There are chargers out there that use a single AA battery as the power source...Sharper Image lists one that charges iPods.

FB
    "All persons are born free and have certain inalienable rights. They include the right to a clean and healthful environment..."

Article II, Section 3
    The Constitution of the State of Montana

Thanks for all the fine people that I have met

Default MP3 Player

Panasonic has a Two gigibite player that runs on AA batteries for $99.00 at Wal Mart. With two gig's you won't need to download and Carry some AA batteries to avoid recharging, You'll avoid problems with the panasonic.

i figured that charging via usb would be a very limited option. as someone already suggested, wall chargers would be much more accessible. most devices take 2 or 3 times longer to charge via usb, so the wall charger definitely makes sense. i assume you don't have an ipod (since you mentioned the fm tuner). if you don't have a charger or can't find one suitable for your player, the previous suggestion about buying a cheapy player that runs on batteries would be the most convenient way to go.

Here is a charger for $8.

http://www.handhelditems.com/apple-i...er-p-4500.html

You can use a lithium 9 v. battery to power it.

If you are electronically inclined, you can build a a lighter charger for less. Get a 7805 voltage regulator chip from radio shack (just over $1), a 9 volt battery clip, and a female USB connector. Solder the items together per instructions that are easily found on the web. Then you can use the cable that comes with the ipod to build the charger.

Make this... uses AA's, and it's DIY...

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/gadgets/m...ger-177527.php
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

For a lot less that $100 you can get a little Creative Designs MP3 player that will give you 15 hours or so of play on one AAA battery and includes a radio that works pretty well. I usually take my Zen Nano Plus (1GB). It is tiny, gives good music quality and can also be used as a voice recorder if you leave space.

By the way:

Plugging an electronic device into an outlet at a motel or hostel is fine.

Doing it in other businesses, like stores, Outfitters, restaurants, bars, etc. should be done with permission only, unless it's a place like a coffee shop with Internet access, i.e. a place where people are invited to plug in their personal electronic devices.

But to assume that any old outlet you see is available to the public at all times is rude, and there are folks who'll be upset if you don't ask them first. Just because their busines has electricity doesn't mean that folks have unlimited free access to it.

Default MP3 recharge

Thanks to you all for trying to help out. I am not taking my Ipod (no FM tuner) and already have an MP3 which unfortunately requires USB access to charge. However, following Ender's suggestion I have just ordered what looks like a sweet little item which will transfer power from 2 AA batteries to my MP3 through a USB plug. The whole thing fits into an Altoid gum tin. I actually ordered the kit and will test out my soldering skills which haven't been used since I built a Heathkit FM tuner in 1970! Thanks Ender for the suggestion and the link. Happy Hiking, Pong

Quote Originally Posted by Pong View Post
    However, following Ender's suggestion I have just ordered what looks like a sweet little item which will transfer power from 2 AA batteries to my MP3 through a USB plug. The whole thing fits into an Altoid gum tin. I actually ordered the kit and will test out my soldering skills which haven't been used since I built a Heathkit FM tuner in 1970!
    Yeah that looked neat, but it says it's only good for three hours. You would think 2AA's would power it longer than that. Maybe it will. Edit: Yes it should, 3 hours is for video.

I'm worth a million in prizes astrogirl's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by wallace View Post
    Here is a charger for $8.

http://www.handhelditems.com/apple-i...er-p-4500.html

You can use a lithium 9 v. battery to power it.
    I have a 9V battery charger thing for my iPod nano, and it does work, but possibly not in the way you usually use a charger.

Uou don't want to use a charger like that on a dead iPod. You just don't get as much return out of it. You're supposed to plug in the charger while you've still got some power and use the iPod like that.

Also, 9V lithiums are really expensive and are hard to find in stores. 9V alkalines you can buy in multi-packs.
    -----------------------------------------------
    obstacles are found everywhere, and in taking them, we nourish ourselves.
    http://astrogirl.com/blog/Backpacking

Section Hiking to Maine. little bear's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by astrogirl View Post
    I have a 9V battery charger thing for my iPod nano, and it does work, but possibly not in the way you usually use a charger.

Uou don't want to use a charger like that on a dead iPod. You just don't get as much return out of it. You're supposed to plug in the charger while you've still got some power and use the iPod like that.

Also, 9V lithiums are really expensive and are hard to find in stores. 9V alkalines you can buy in multi-packs.

So would you recommend getting one of those? I was going to order it since it was cheap, have you been satisfied?

LB
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    Make this... uses AA's, and it's DIY...

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/gadgets/m...ger-177527.php
    Walking back from the store tonight, this is EXACTLY what I had going through my head, Altoids tin and all. Only difference was I was thinking AAA instead of AA.
    But 60 hours for my Shuffle on 2 AAs (72 hours if I leave with a full charge)? I'll take it. Know what I'm doing this weekend.

Glad I could help everyone! My inner geek is happy.
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

++ New Posts ++