WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Wesser Bald Shelter

Just started this because I didn't see one already in the list. This shelter is one of the newer "Nantahala" designs, about 100 yards to the left of the trail northbound. The spring, a concrete box, is about .2 south, at a switchback (get water on your way; it's an uphill hump). Plenty of tenting space. Say hello to Bob the Mouse and Doug the Shelter Snake for me when you stop by.

GA-VA 2005, VA-CT 2007, CT-ME ??
    Images

Water source is good once you get up to it. Lots of campsites all around the west side of the gap.

I highly recommend catching a sunset on the tower! I ran up the grueling 1/2 mile after dinner just in time to see the day's last light falling over Albert, Wayah, Wesser, Cheoha, Rocky Top, Thunderhead, Clingman's... That's a week's worth of walking all in one lovely view. You'll definitely feel pretty smug and satisfied when you make your way back down to camp. Great spot.
    -Mark

I've sat out two of the worst storms of my life at this site. And yet it is still one of my favorite campsites ever. Really beautiful. Watch out for the hill above it though, its a toilet minefield.

There's no wrong way to eat a Rhesus! Monkeyboy's Avatar

Stopped there for lunch last week.

Great water source, but it's about .25 miles away from the shelter.

MILLIONS OF BUMBLEBEES. It's like you died and went to bumblebee heaven.
    "Why is it a penny for your thoughts, but you always have to put your two cents in?"
    - Stephen Wright

I have good memories from that shelter

Christus Cowboy
    Images

Default Great spot...

I went there the first part of April on a 54 mile circuit loop.... beautiful location especially during a full moon. Water source was really convenient and its really not that far from the NOC....
    Be on the alert, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong. Let all that you do be done in love..... 1 Corinthians 16:13-14

this was always one of my favorite watering holes!

Default Stayed there

I stayed in this shelter 2 years ago on my way down from the noc and over to the bartram to make a nice loop. however on the first day out I ran out of water about mid day and all of the stream were dried up. I finally made it to this shelter and went down the blue blazed trail to find yet again no water!! my kidneys were hurting and I could tell that If i did not get water soon this was not going to be fun. So thankfully it came a huge storm and I was drinking water off the roof of this shelter.

I know this thread is rather old, but can anyone confirm that this shelter doesn't have a privy? I'm guessing from the comment regarding the minefield that it doesn't, but I've seen conflicting information on the web. Thanks.

I hiked thru over this past Memorial Day weekend, stopping to take a snack break before heading down into the NOC. The privy was there then. It's behind the shelter a ways hidden in the underbrush. I believe there were bear cables there too.

Great! Thanks so much, daddy!

Journal Entries
    Images

Lightbulb Stayed there in June of 2021

Water is flowing fine, about .2 of a mile south of the Shelter. Only a few bear cables are presently usable. Privy is behind the shelter.
    Overall, pretty average for a shelter.

++ New Posts ++