WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default My family tree didn't swing with Saskwatch

So I unfortunately could not grow a fine beard like you gentlemen. Be that as it may. I'm planning on shaving on the trail. I'm trying to find one of those old school shaving razors that use the Gillette double edged razors. Carrying disposable razors really does not do it for me. I'm leaving for Springer in under five days so E-bay is out. Suggestions anyone?
    You can never appreciate the shade of a tree unless you sweat in the sun.-- Author Unknown

Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by doggiebag View Post
    So I unfortunately could not grow a fine beard like you gentlemen. Be that as it may. I'm planning on shaving on the trail. I'm trying to find one of those old school shaving razors that use the Gillette double edged razors. Carrying disposable razors really does not do it for me. I'm leaving for Springer in under five days so E-bay is out. Suggestions anyone?
    You do know why nobody uses those anymore, right? They're horrid! Just use a steak knife, you'll get the same results.

Seriously, just carry what you use now.
    You never turned around to see the frowns
    On the jugglers and the clowns
    When they all did tricks for you.

I like the old Wilkinson blades myself. Try www.ebarbershop.com which has all sorts of hard to find stuff at fairly reasonable prices.

Images

Dances

I'm not looking for efficiency or speed. It's more the tradition. It's not like I won't have the time to heat some water and shave carefully. If I could find me a nice old fashioned straight razor, believe me I'd get one and would learn to use it ... and by the time I get off the trail I'd never have to buy another razor again.
    You can never appreciate the shade of a tree unless you sweat in the sun.-- Author Unknown

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    I like the old Wilkinson blades myself. Try www.ebarbershop.com which has all sorts of hard to find stuff at fairly reasonable prices.
    Awsome site. I'm bookmarking it, unfortunately my schedule has got me by the vitals. Any national chain stores that still carry these things?

Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

Awsome site. I'm bookmarking it, unfortunately my schedule has got me by the vitals. Any national chain stores that still carry these things?
    If you insist on cutting your own throat, just order what appeals to you and have it delivered up the Trail. Cloud9, Blue Berry Patch, Hiawassee PO, NOC, Franklin PO, etc.
    You never turned around to see the frowns
    On the jugglers and the clowns
    When they all did tricks for you.

Images

Now that's an idea. Thanks guys that's what makes this site awsome. I always get the warm and fuzzies when I come here. I'll carry a good wound closure kit or a good sized stapler just in case. Good idea on the mail drop option. Never thought of having retailers do a maildrop for me.

Images

Just grow a patchy beard and shave it when you happen to be in town

Vermont Country Store has all manor of old time shaveing stuff. Great road trip from Md.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by stuco View Post
    Just grow a patchy beard and shave it when you happen to be in town
    Scaring the locals brood isn't my idea of guaranteeing a warm reception ... I'm going mail order.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Snowman View Post
    Vermont Country Store has all manor of old time shaveing stuff. Great road trip from Md.
    From Maryland to Vermont ... roadtrip? Send me whatever you're smoking. I'm going mailorder dammit. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Images

www.classicshaving.com

Straight and safety (the old-timey double razors). I've got my eye on a travel model... then again, I get to get away with a close buzz at home so I may never bother.

Oh, and if you want to learn to use a straight razor. (classicshaving.com has lots of tips as well)

I just haven't, yet, had the balls to take the plunge into straight razor shaving... but I want to.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lanthar Mandragoran View Post
    I just haven't, yet, had the balls to take the plunge into straight razor shaving... but I want to.

something about balls and straight razor in the same sentence bothers me
    Conquest: It is not the Mountain we conquer but Ourselves

Dances

I'm not looking for efficiency or speed. It's more the tradition. It's not like I won't have the time to heat some water and shave carefully. If I could find me a nice old fashioned straight razor, believe me I'd get one and would learn to use it ... and by the time I get off the trail I'd never have to buy another razor again.
    In my youth, the nice elderly Italian barber who cut my hair had several "traditional shave" customers every day. His contention was that the steaming hot towel wrap prior to applying hot lather then shaving his customers was the "secret" to a close cut free shave. Of course a careful stropping of the edge on his razor was key also. I am dubious that even the finest straight razor will work properly without the benefit of very hot water and copious amounts of shave cream. The skill required to use it well will come with time. Stay away from Starbucks during your learning curve.
    Pack several styptic pencils too.

Nick is on the right path..... if your looking for tradition, hit a trail town barber shop and get a "real shave" every few weeks.

BTW Nick, I grew up in Vienna is it snowing there?

TB

Savoring Happy!

Don't know much about fuzzy chins but I love your quote;

"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh." - Voltaire (1694-1778)

Try Nair, small bottle goes a long way.

Savor Happy!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    something about balls and straight razor in the same sentence bothers me
    Ever heard of John and Lorena Bobbit?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by NICKTHEGREEK View Post
    In my youth, the nice elderly Italian barber who cut my hair had several "traditional shave" customers every day. His contention was that the steaming hot towel wrap prior to applying hot lather then shaving his customers was the "secret" to a close cut free shave. Of course a careful stropping of the edge on his razor was key also. I am dubious that even the finest straight razor will work properly without the benefit of very hot water and copious amounts of shave cream. The skill required to use it well will come with time. Stay away from Starbucks during your learning curve.
    Pack several styptic pencils too.
    I've never had the pleasure of having someone shave me with a straight razor. There's a lot of trust involved there. When I get my haircut ... they'll shave the back of my neck with a straight. It does feel good.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by No Belay View Post
    Don't know much about fuzzy chins but I love your quote;

"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh." - Voltaire (1694-1778)

Try Nair, small bottle goes a long way.

Savor Happy!
    I've learned to laugh and appreciate his many practical jokes.
    Regards,
    M

Working on Forestry Grad schol

I don't have much more than spotty growth either...but give it a couple of months and I still look like a lumberjack. You'll be suprised.

What part of Baltimore are you in?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++