WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default SNP next weekend 3-24/25-07

I'm heading back to SNP next weekend. 8 miles sat and 10 on Sun ending up at Skyland. Planning on a Blueberry shake at the Skyland wayside as I heard it will be open for business. If anyone is interested in going, let me know.

Thanks
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
    [COLOR="Blue"]Hokey Pokey [/COLOR]

usually confused but never lost Fannypack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hikerhead View Post
    I'm heading back to SNP next weekend. 8 miles sat and 10 on Sun ending up at Skyland. Planning on a Blueberry shake at the Skyland wayside as I heard it will be open for business. If anyone is interested in going, let me know.

Thanks
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
    do u have a hike report for this w/e in SNP?

oops, having done this hike yet...

Yes, I gave a small trip report underneath that other SNP thread.

And you are right Fannypack, there is no wayside at Skyland, I meant Big Meadows. I shouldn't try to write anything after hiker midnight.

Fannypack and HOI are in. Anybody else?

It looks more like 7 1/2 mile days each day plus the Shake Run to Big Meadows.

I might join you guys for the hike on Sunday. Where will you start and end?
    Some people take the straight and narrow. Others the road less traveled. I just cut through the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by Creek Dancer View Post
    I might join you guys for the hike on Sunday. Where will you start and end?
    That's great. I sent you a PM.

NJH has signed up to join us. The group now consist of...

NJH
    Creek Dancer
    Fannypack
    HOI
    Hikerhead

The weather is looking pretty good for this weekend.
    http://wwwa.accuweather.com/forecast...22827&metric=0

Are the camp grounds in SNP open yet..??..

Quote Originally Posted by RiverWarriorPJ View Post
    Are the camp grounds in SNP open yet..??..
    Opens this weekend at Big Meadows according to this.

http://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisi...&PageID=119154

K....Thnx....Also, are you starting south of Big Meadows..??..

Yes, at Bear Fence. Feel free to join in.

Thnx HH.....Can't make it this weekend...but gonna plan on the same run next weekend....Have a Great hike ya'll..

Great time hiking this w/e in SNP. More Details later but the Hoover Camp was a neat piece of history. Btw, they is plenty of firewood all over the place in Big Meadows campground. Also we had NO rain.

See ya on the trail.

I had a great time and it was good to meet everyone. Recap---I arrived just a tab late to find everyone at the Skyland parking lot. We took two vehicles down to the Bear Fence Hut parking lot and started hiking north. Some of us took the blue blaze down to Camp Hoover for a relaxing lunch on the deck of the biggest cabin. The fish pond was loaded with frogs just floating on top of the water, and they were alive. We climbed and climbed the horse trail out and came back around and through Big Meadows where not a deer was seen. Fannypack and I did find one exhausted hiker laying in the weeds. We then all met up at the wayside for some food and drinks.
    Then

I had a great time and it was good to meet everyone. Recap---I arrived just a tab late to find everyone at the Skyland parking lot. We took two vehicles down to the Bear Fence Hut parking lot and started hiking north. Some of us took the blue blaze down to Camp Hoover for a relaxing lunch on the deck of the biggest cabin. The fish pond there was loaded with frogs just floating on top of the water, and these were live frogs. We climbed and climbed the horse trail out and came back around and through Big Meadows where not a deer was seen. Fannypack and I did find one exhausted hiker laying in the grass. We then all met up at the wayside for some food and drinks.
    Then it was off the the campground where we got a walk-in site down in the bottom. It was really nice and we had it almost to ourselfs. They even had firewood already cut up for us. In the morning some of us got lectured by the Park Ranger while I went to find Creek Dancer. She arrived on time and we hiked around on the AT to the last campsite where everyone was using the pic-nic table and hiker-watching. We then did a quick hike to Skyland passing the not too friendly horses at the stable right at the end.

I hope everyone got home OK. I was really sore last night, it was either from the hiking or trying to get that fire started saturday night, it had to have been from the fire.

And the big question of where are all of the deer when they're not in the field at Big Meadows?...They're at the campground. There were 3 deer at every campsite until someone rang the dinner bell at around 7 and they ALL went whitetailing it to the meadow.

I just posted some pics of our hike.

In the morning some of us got lectured by the Park Ranger ..??..

WHY..??..

Only half of the campground was open. We camped in the walk-in section the farthest away from the campground ranger station down at the bottom of the hill, this was in the closed section. There were no rangers there when we arrived and lots of other people had just parked outside of the campground and walked in so we did too. But we did walk 8 or more miles to get there. In the morning I broke camp early ( I knew trouble was coming ha ha) and the ranger came by and gave a little speech to the others. Some of the other campers actually drove thru the exit to get in. I think they got more than a speech. NJH was the silver tongued devil who got us out of this little jam. I'm sure the whole campground is open now.

the particular issue was that the area where we were had not yet been certified as being free of fool killers caused by the winter's ice storms - this may take some time for the NPS to do - personally we were in no danger because we know enough to look up before setting up but ...

++ New Posts ++