WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Jif Single Serving Peanut Butter Cups

I saw these a while ago and finally bought some. They're 2.5 oz full, with 2-1/4 oz net weight of peanut butter. But now I can carry only what I need and can throw away the container instead of carrying the whole PB jar around. Geekery that I even weighed the thing, I know...even worse that I took pics and put them on the internet!!

http://www.tothewoods.net/GearReviewJif.html

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

What's your source for these ??

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    I saw these a while ago and finally bought some. They're 2.5 oz full, with 2-1/4 oz net weight of peanut butter. But now I can carry only what I need and can throw away the container instead of carrying the whole PB jar around. Geekery that I even weighed the thing, I know...even worse that I took pics and put them on the internet!!

http://www.tothewoods.net/GearReviewJif.html
    These are great! I found them at the local grocery store and took them on a 5 day trip in Jan. Thank God it wasn't Peter Pan! Choosy mom's choose Jif!

1000+ miles, baby! (and more to come) Webs's Avatar
    Images

i carried these last year, and they were great...just put on the top of your food bag to avoid catastrophe. The only problem for me was that, since I'd rather eat it straight-up instead of on something, you pretty much have to eat it all at once since it's not resealable. Does Skippy not make those squeeze tubes of PB anymore?
    To hope means to be ready at every moment for that which is not yet born, and yet not become desperate if there is no birth in our lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by Footslogger View Post

'Slogger
    Slogger...I've been able to get these at a Safeway Store. Don't know if you have this chain in your location. I used these while on home R&R hiking in the NH Whites. They're great !!

Quote Originally Posted by Webs View Post
    i carried these last year, and they were great...just put on the top of your food bag to avoid catastrophe. The only problem for me was that, since I'd rather eat it straight-up instead of on something, you pretty much have to eat it all at once since it's not resealable. Does Skippy not make those squeeze tubes of PB anymore?
    Skippy does still make the tube brand. I used them as well this past year. "Target" carries them. I think if you go on their website and enter Skippy PB in search they will ID a store in the local area that carries them. Beware, not all of their stores do carry this item.

I got them at the commissary this time but I've seen them in another grocery store before...don't remember the chain.

MREs have PB in a foil pack that you squeeze out...much more convenient but it doesn't taste as good as Jif.

I'll have to hunt down the squeeze tubes.

Section by Section
    Images

My only problem with these and the squeeze tubes over carrying the jar is the excessive trash that makes it's way (hopefully) to the landfill. More tubes/containers = more trash to ruin the environment with.
    Last edited by Midway Sam; 03-19-2007 at 06:22. Reason: schpellin

Quote Originally Posted by Midway Sam View Post
    My only problem with these and the squeeze tubes over carrying the jar is the excessive trash that makers it's way (hopefully) to the landfill. More tubes/containers = more trash to ruin the environment with.
    Obviously, hiker trash doesn't count in the global scheme of things.

Just look at the proliferation of individual servings in the hiking arena.

Many of those tubs are recyclable, so if you are not thru hiking, take them home
    As for indivdual packets, one thing going for them is food safety: you don't have repeat dippings of dirty hands, nor does heat affect them as fast, since they are shelf stable.
    Trail Cooking/FBC, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
    Trail Cooking

Section by Section
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by sarbar View Post
    Many of those tubs are recyclable, so if you are not thru hiking, take them home
    As for indivdual packets, one thing going for them is food safety: you don't have repeat dippings of dirty hands, nor does heat affect them as fast, since they are shelf stable.
    Unfortunately, the "siren song" of a trash can at a road crossing is too hard for me to pass up. If I'm on a 6 day section hike and come across a trash can, I'm gonna lighten my pack of any garbage I've accumulated.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Footslogger View Post

'Slogger
    http://productlocator.infores.com/pr...w_all_2003.htm

Pretty small amount if you don't eat "dainty." Skippy tube was found in the same area of a podunk store. Must be some other "4 serving size" out there. Spendy per ounce, too.

Check out www.minimus.biz for packets, in my opinion the most convenient format of all. Check them out anyway, they have a ton of stuff travel sized.

Still relying on the coghlan's tubes, here. Eat it right out of the tube and no one tries to mooch off my moose goo supply.

1811 miles and counting!
    Images

Skippy does not carry the "Skippy Stix", or the single-serving size, anymore. They still carry the larger, reclosable size. Being a section hiker, the single-serving size, or Jif-to-go. is just fine.

Thumbs up Other source near home?

Quote Originally Posted by Hoku View Post
    Check out www.minimus.biz for packets, in my opinion the most convenient format of all. Check them out anyway, they have a ton of stuff travel sized.
    I just called a local restaurant supply company in the Providence area (I googled "restaurant supplies 02903") that sold to the general public and got a quote of $14.40 for a case of 204 individual mayonaise packets that did not require refrigeration. This is about 7 cents per pack. While this seems like a lot of mayo, over the course of a hiking season, it is not that much, and you could split the purchase with other hikers. They also stock other condiments at a similar price. Seems like a good way to save some $$$, and not raise the ire of the fast food places that hikers usually raid for these packets.

Quote Originally Posted by Midway Sam View Post
    Unfortunately, the "siren song" of a trash can at a road crossing is too hard for me to pass up. If I'm on a 6 day section hike and come across a trash can, I'm gonna lighten my pack of any garbage I've accumulated.
    Lol! I understand!!
    Trail Cooking/FBC, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
    Trail Cooking

Here is a link on the JIF website (PB TO GO) in which you can enter your zip code and it will tell you within a certain amount of miles a store location that carrys the JIF TO GO http://http://www.jif.com/jiftogo/

++ New Posts ++